Author Topic: Big 12 basketball  (Read 33242 times)

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Big 12 basketball
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2018, 11:05:57 PM »
i don't see how tcu is supposedly safe.  what's getting them in, their great ooc win over nevada or going 1-7 against the decent big 12 teams?

I will first say that Lunardi had them as a 8 before tonight.  Even Bracket matrix had them as a 7.9 on average by seeding. I did my projections today and I had them as my weakest 9 seed

They have a good SOS (14) & RPI (23) - before today. Their good wins in B12 are WV, Texas, At OSU, at Baylor. They also have 2 Q1 wins on nuetral court in Non Con

They are 5-8.  They get to 8-10, they will get in.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2018, 01:38:06 AM »
you can make every excuse in the book for them, posse; but they've still only got one good win and have a miserable conference record.  they're a charity case, nothing more.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2018, 06:30:41 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
what a stupid tweet

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
Looks like Ben forgot to get his brucecuse's shot this winter

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2018, 11:09:40 AM »
Looks like Ben forgot to get his brucecuse's shot this winter
Do you even know who Ben Boyle is?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »
Ben is always going to tweet pro K-State takes. I get the context of Brucecuses, but it is a decent point about the flaws in the RPI SOS formula.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2018, 11:16:07 AM »
Agreed

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
Ben is always going to tweet pro K-State takes. I get the context of Brucecuses, but it is a decent point about the flaws in the RPI SOS formula.

You really should save your breath _FAN.  The #LIFE/MOCAT tandem post in regards to K-State basketball should always be auto-corrected to the following:

Brucity oscar oscar.  I miss Frank.

Me too buddy.  :sad:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »

It's also a decent point about why oscar should schedule better.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2018, 11:49:16 AM »

what i meant is, it's a misleading tweet.
he is suggesting if KSU and TCU swapped the 5 worst teams on their schedule, KSU would have the same RPI as TCU. this is not the case.

TCU has 11 top 100 wins, ksu only has 7.

a fairer point would be to say if ksu traded its 4 worst opponents for 4 additional top 100 opponents, they'd have the same RPI as TCU.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »
RPI sucks and is broken.  Until it favors KSU and then my opinion will be that sure it has it's flaws but the numbers don't lie.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »

I agree on both points.  First, any good college bball coach should be able to take advantage of RPI's flaws because it clearly factors into the committee's decision.  From here, it sure looks like oscar gave zero thought to the non-con other than wanting easy wins, so he gave us a pretty deep hole that we had to climb out of coming into conference play.  Second, I am surprised TCU is still treated as such a given considering how poorly they have played against decent competition.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »

This is a valid point and it was something ADGT talked about last night on KMAN. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »

what i meant is, it's a misleading tweet.
he is suggesting if KSU and TCU swapped the 5 worst teams on their schedule, KSU would have the same RPI as TCU. this is not the case.

TCU has 11 top 100 wins, ksu only has 7.

a fairer point would be to say if ksu traded its 4 worst opponents for 4 additional top 100 opponents, they'd have the same RPI as TCU.

Going by the committee's "quadrant" sheet, KSU and TCU each have 4 Q1 wins. They also each have 2 Q2 wins.  TCU has 6 Q3 wins to KSU's 5.  And KSU has 6 Q4 wins to TCU's 5 (having played 1 extra game). So the comparison is pretty valid.  If KSU would have just lost to better teams we'd probably be much higher, which seems a little silly.

Edit: realized that's kind of confusing, so here is a different way to put it:

Q1 Wins: KSU - 4, TCU - 4
Q2 Wins: KSU - 2, TCU - 2
Q3 Wins: KSU - 5, TCU - 6
Q4 Wins: KSU - 6, TCU - 5
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:25:54 PM by catastrophe »

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2018, 12:37:32 PM »
I've never understood why bball coaches (oscar) schedule this way.  We can all agree RPI and SOS are very important to the committee.  RPI is helped by quality wins and hurt by bad losses.  It's basically unaffected by quality losses or bad wins.  So schedule hard and you have a lot to gain and very little to lose.  Schedule easy and you have a lot to lose and very little to gain.  Let's schedule all patsies!!!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »
Yes, the schedule should be better. No dispute.

I'm also not saying TCU shouldn't be in the tournament right now, but I can't look at these criteria and see why TCU is an 8 and we're an 11.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »
I've never understood why bball coaches (oscar) schedule this way.  We can all agree RPI and SOS are very important to the committee.  RPI is helped by quality wins and hurt by bad losses.  It's basically unaffected by quality losses or bad wins.  So schedule hard and you have a lot to gain and very little to lose.  Schedule easy and you have a lot to lose and very little to gain.  Let's schedule all patsies!!!

Vandy and Georgia were supposed to be upper half SEC teams and contend for the tournament. We missed out on playing Xavier instead of George Washington with our loss to ASU. We should have known Ernie Kent would be bad, even with an NBA player. Still, at least Washington State is a P5 opponent.

Its very fair to critique 6 guaranteed games against 200+ kenpom teams. And looking at the last few years, we knew all would be bad this year. You've got to get rid of a least a couple of those and get teams in the 100s, like UC Irvine.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
I'm also not saying TCU shouldn't be in the tournament right now.

i'll say.  they haven't done crap to deserve a bid.  i think tcu (and the rest of the big 12) is benefiting from the early season buzz about the strength of the big 12.  that argument is no longer valid (if it ever was), their conference kenpom has come down by over 2 points from where they started conference play.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2018, 02:14:37 PM »

Vandy and Georgia were supposed to be upper half SEC teams and contend for the tournament. We missed out on playing Xavier instead of George Washington with our loss to ASU. We should have known Ernie Kent would be bad, even with an NBA player. Still, at least Washington State is a P5 opponent.

Its very fair to critique 6 guaranteed games against 200+ kenpom teams. And looking at the last few years, we knew all would be bad this year. You've got to get rid of a least a couple of those and get teams in the 100s, like UC Irvine.

I get that you're never really sure how good your opponents will be from year to year, but that's all the more reason to schedule up.  What would be the harm in playing home and homes with mid to upper level P5 teams each year?  I'm not talking a game or two i'm talking about playing 5-6 decent p5 teams each year in addition to those we might play in an early tourney.  And why would you ever schedule a 200+ team for shits sake?  What is there to gain?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
Five years from now no one remembers the shitty teams you played to rack up Ws, just the number of wins.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
Easy wins and easy money.

I was sitting in a coach's office late one night, about 20 hours before his team was scheduled to play a game, watching film with the staff and just basically observing how they went about preparing. We had pizza for dinner. I remember that and a few other things -- among them the coach stopping film once to take a phone call. A former assistant, who was now a head coach, was the person calling. So the coach answered. I only heard one side of the conversation. But this is basically what I heard:

"So how'd you do tonight?"

(Silence)

"Who'd you play?

(Silence)

"I've told you a million times. At the end of the season, your fans won't know your strength of schedule. All they'll know is how many games you won and how many games you lost. You should've never scheduled that game. You're in your first year. You knew you couldn't win it. So if you didn't have to play it, you shouldn't have played it."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/georgetowns-non-league-schedule-is-both-awful-and-a-reflection-of-a-larger-issue/

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:52 PM »
I get that you're never really sure how good your opponents will be from year to year, but that's all the more reason to schedule up.  What would be the harm in playing home and homes with mid to upper level P5 teams each year?  I'm not talking a game or two i'm talking about playing 5-6 decent p5 teams each year in addition to those we might play in an early tourney.  And why would you ever schedule a 200+ team for shits sake?  What is there to gain?

I just don't think there are enough teams out there that want to do that because no one in college basketball schedules like that. I can't think of any P5 opponent playing more than 1 or 2 home and homes with other P5 teams. Everyone plays guarantee games.

The reason these are scheduled is to get home games on the cheap. Every team in the Big 12 has 5-7 of these games every season.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:23 PM »
The words are too common for me to easily find oscar’s quote about scheduling being more important than recruiting.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
fwiw my comments about ben boyle's unsuccessful attempt to subdue himself were not related to scheduling, or ncaa tournament seeding. i was simply commenting on why TCU's rpi is so much better than ours.