Author Topic: Big 12 basketball  (Read 32515 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Big 12 basketball
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
there's no such thing as a guaranteed win and a 150 team is way more likely to beat you than a 300 team is.  the idea that they are equivalent is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Actually teams 151-351 have a strikingly similar profile, they're almost all teams from one bid conferences who aren't competitors for that one bid. Of those 200 teams, only 14 of them are from multi bid leagues and of those 14, 7 of them are from the 2 bid WCC. The gap is way smaller between 151-351 than it is from 100-150 and it really isn't debatable.

from kp team 101 to team 150 = +6.73 to +2.06 = 4.67 point difference
from kp team 151 to team 351 = +1.98 to -29.97 = 31.95 point difference
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2018, 03:14:13 PM »
I get that you're never really sure how good your opponents will be from year to year, but that's all the more reason to schedule up.  What would be the harm in playing home and homes with mid to upper level P5 teams each year?  I'm not talking a game or two i'm talking about playing 5-6 decent p5 teams each year in addition to those we might play in an early tourney.  And why would you ever schedule a 200+ team for shits sake?  What is there to gain?

I just don't think there are enough teams out there that want to do that because no one in college basketball schedules like that. I can't think of any P5 opponent playing more than 1 or 2 home and homes with other P5 teams. Everyone plays guarantee games.

The reason these are scheduled is to get home games on the cheap. Every team in the Big 12 has 5-7 of these games every season.

KU does it like every year. Granted, a decent amount of those games are in classics.

Yes, I'm not sure how many are home and homes compared to stand alone games, classics, or tournaments. They had 7 P5 opponents in the OOC this year, which is a lot. And they don't have nearly as many awful guarantee games on their schedule.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2018, 03:19:36 PM »
I get that you're never really sure how good your opponents will be from year to year, but that's all the more reason to schedule up.  What would be the harm in playing home and homes with mid to upper level P5 teams each year?  I'm not talking a game or two i'm talking about playing 5-6 decent p5 teams each year in addition to those we might play in an early tourney.  And why would you ever schedule a 200+ team for shits sake?  What is there to gain?

I just don't think there are enough teams out there that want to do that because no one in college basketball schedules like that. I can't think of any P5 opponent playing more than 1 or 2 home and homes with other P5 teams. Everyone plays guarantee games.

The reason these are scheduled is to get home games on the cheap. Every team in the Big 12 has 5-7 of these games every season.

KU does it like every year. Granted, a decent amount of those games are in classics.

Yes, I'm not sure how many are home and homes compared to stand alone games, classics, or tournaments. They had 7 P5 opponents in the OOC this year, which is a lot. And they don't have nearly as many awful guarantee games on their schedule.

I figured it was just the luxury of being KU.  Schedule whoever you desire.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
I figured it was just the luxury of being KU.  Schedule whoever you desire.

That doesn't hurt. More people are wanting to do deals with them and they probably are willing to pay more for better guaranteed games.

Again, in all of this am I excusing this year's OOC schedule because it was truly awful. Way too many +200 guarantee games and we knew most of those teams would be bad.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »
Huggins and Frank put together much better schedules than Wooldrige and oscar. You don't have to schedule 7 P5 opponents to not schedule as poorly as we have the past 2 seasons.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2018, 04:25:59 PM »
Huggins and Frank put together much better schedules than Wooldrige and oscar. You don't have to schedule 7 P5 opponents to not schedule as poorly as we have the past 2 seasons.
They also brought in a #GOAT recruiting class to be able to help with that schedule transition.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2018, 05:06:24 PM »
there's no such thing as a guaranteed win and a 150 team is way more likely to beat you than a 300 team is.  the idea that they are equivalent is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Actually teams 151-351 have a strikingly similar profile, they're almost all teams from one bid conferences who aren't competitors for that one bid. Of those 200 teams, only 14 of them are from multi bid leagues and of those 14, 7 of them are from the 2 bid WCC. The gap is way smaller between 151-351 than it is from 100-150 and it really isn't debatable.

from kp team 101 to team 150 = +6.73 to +2.06 = 4.67 point difference
from kp team 151 to team 351 = +1.98 to -29.97 = 31.95 point difference

Fantastic. What's the point?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2018, 07:19:24 PM »

that your assertion was wildly inaccurate.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:07 PM »
nope.  more like the difference between a 20 point win and a 30 point win. 

https://kenpom.com/box.php?g=2062&y=2015
https://kenpom.com/box.php?g=122&y=2014

We're talking rpi, and kenpom isn't the pope, fucktard.

Hatingfrank is right. Home game against rpi 150 = home game against rpi 300.  Not to mention walkons are playing the last 4+ minutes of both.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:20 PM »
All things being equal, if we played a bad noncon of scrub low majors that gave is the median kenpom sos, we'd be ranked 30 spots higher.

If our sos was 250 instead of 330 we'd be top25 kenpom and safely in the tourney.

It's stupid

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2018, 09:45:46 PM »
It's stupid to have 360ish D1 bball teams to begin with, to undertake an analysis to determine which teams are #200 thru #360 is a futile and full on aspergers.

You are beyond in the minutia at that point. The proportionate weight afforded is utterly outrageous.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2018, 02:34:04 AM »

that your assertion was wildly inaccurate.

I don't recall mentioning anything about kenpom's point differential, it's completely inconsequential to the larger point. I didn't really need a kenpom stat to tell me that the 8th place team in the SEC is much closer to the 2nd place team in the CAA than the 5th place team in C-USA versus the last place team in the MEAC, thanks for bringing it to our attention though.

The larger point, and you have to be missing this on purpose, is that if you're a tournament team in the P6 there should be little to no discernible difference between playing a home game in November against Elon than a December home game between Chicago State. If you're Western Kentucky, sure that difference is much more pronounced. If you're one of the top 40 teams in America you're double digit favorites, with a  projected chance of winning north of 85%, against any team 151-351.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2018, 04:21:23 AM »
And don't forget the original intent of the RPI was to group teams, not to rank them. I mean, yeah it's LOL to just make a cutoff between 50 and 51, but that's what the RPI does.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
In that case the clustering should be tighter toward the top and much wider toward the bottom instead of just 50 team clusters across the board.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2018, 09:08:36 AM »
I'd love to hear a hottake as to why beating KP200 UMBC (bank?) in November is disparately more valuable in the eyes of the committee and KP desciples than a win over KP351 Delaware State (Flacco???).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2018, 07:41:19 PM »
If you're one of the top 40 teams in America you're double digit favorites, with a projected chance of winning north of 85%, against any team 151-351.

there is a huge difference between having an 85% chance of winning and having a 99.9% chance of winning.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2018, 09:20:03 PM »
False

Only a fucktard thinks this 85% v 99% scenario exists anywhere other than inside their fucktard computer

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »
Well, we're never ever gonna play kp200 and kp350 100 times each to prove the ridiculous simulation is wrong, so I suppose you can dream, but it's a really stupid thing to believe is real and blindly (dogmatically) reference as the end all be all. Like I said, it's not the pope.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2018, 10:51:58 AM »
Updated Big 12 stats (league games only)

Updated individual advanced and shooting stats (league games only)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
I like seeing KSU up there in 3pt%.  Probably like the only thing that gives me hope we could make it out of the first weekend of the tournament.

The Big Train

« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
Texas is gonna beat OU. Calling it now

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »
Rough 1st half for OU on their own home court. 32% eFG and .78 PPP

But only trail by 3. Trae is in a 1-20 slump from 3pt

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »
from here out, i'm rooting for 4 teams to rack up nice records and everyone else to finish below .500.  if i thought it was possible to make it 3 nice records and 7 trash, i'd root for that.

i'm rooting against tcu most of all.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
Our Last 10 games, only thing I'm disappointed in is crapping the bed offensively in both Ku/Tech games. Had we just split those 2, we'd be 8-2.  5 weeks ago I would have freaking estatic going 8-2. 7-3 still solid.