Author Topic: St. John's Omari Lawrence transferring to K-State?  (Read 85063 times)

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
St. John's Omari Lawrence transferring to K-State?
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
According to this guy...

Breaking News: Sources Confirm Omari Lawrence transferring to Kansas State

http://twitter.com/MikeLibs

His website: http://nyhoops.com/new/

He had an impressive offers list coming out of high school (Georgetown, Arizona, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Xavier, etc.).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansasstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Omari-Lawrence-60250;_ylt=AnqcchaoYOPa_XfURjKKCCLasJB4

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:55:43 AM by Pett »

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
Re: St. John's Omari Lawrence transferring to K-State?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »
Don't know if I should believe this.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:18:46 AM »
 :runaway:  GOOD SCOOP PETT

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:20:11 AM »
Don't know if I should believe this.

I know, right? Looks like a great prospect who decided to stay close to NY and attend St. John's. Weird nobody else has reported on this other then that one guy (but he does cover New York basketball recruiting).

Pett will get to the bottom of this guys, don't worry about that. :cool:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 12:24:42 AM »
Lavin gave him the boot  :frown:

QUEENS, N.Y. – St. John’s head men’s basketball coach Steve Lavin announced that freshman swingman Omari Lawrence (Bronx, N.Y./South Kent (Conn.) plans to transfer to another institution this offseason.
“We wish Omari all the best,” said Lavin. “He is a talented player with a bright future, and he leaves St. John’s University in good academic standing.”
Lawrence played in 25-of-33 games as a rookie in 2009-10, averaging 2.5 points per contest and 1.5 rebounds in 9.3 minutes. He connected on 34.7 percent of his field goals (25-of-72), 33.3 percent of his 3-point attempts (4-of-12) and 34.8 percent of his free throws (8-of-23).
Lawrence’s best performance of his freshman season came on Jan. 23 against Villanova, when he scored eight points on 4-of-6 field goals in 14 minutes, and added two rebounds, an assist and a steal.

St. John's needed another scholarship, and coach Steve Lavin found one yesterday when swingman Omari Lawrence said he would transfer out of St. John's.

If St. John's was going to sign California swingman Remi Barry, Lavin needed to find another scholarship.

Lawrence, a sophomore from the Bronx, did not say where he intended to transfer. He averaged 2.5 points and 1.5 rebounds in 9.3 minutes last season for the Johnnies.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
This is a huge WTF

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 12:35:41 AM »
 :excited: :runaway: :surprised: :dunno:

I'm so confused....
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 12:36:38 AM »
Lawrence, a native of the Bronx, played in 25 games last season, averaging 2.5 points and 1.5 rebounds. He shot 34.7 percent from the field (25 of 72), including going 4 of 12 from 3-point range.

His best game was against Villanova when he had eight points on 4-of-6 shooting and grabbed two rebounds.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 12:37:52 AM »
Freshman guard/ forward Omari Lawrence, jewel of last year’s recruiting class, and a positive step towards getting top New York City kids to play for St. John’s, revealed his intentions to leave St. John’s, which he has hinted at for weeks. According to his twitter, the news will be made public by the school on Monday.

:dunno:  :ksu: :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 12:40:48 AM »
Lawrence, a native of the Bronx, played in 25 games last season, averaging 2.5 points and 1.5 rebounds. He shot 34.7 percent from the field (25 of 72), including going 4 of 12 from 3-point range.

His best game was against Villanova when he had eight points on 4-of-6 shooting and grabbed two rebounds.

remeber when chris griffin scored like double d's agains ucla or something.  :excited:

seriously though...if this happens then anybody that continues to question the role of the transfer in this staffs gameplan needs to be shot. in the head. with a gun. or knife. if a knife could shoot a bullet or spray a lethal chowder and/or spray.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
The player that has a chance to step up is Bronx native Omari Lawrence.
"Omari is more like Mace and Quincy, but we can swing some other guys and Omari can really help us," Roberts said. "He has a chance to give us some good minutes. He's going through the normal process for freshmen. He's had some good games and he's had some games I'm sure he thinks he could have played better."
Lawrence, a 6-foot-4, 210-pound freshman, could have a great chance when the Red Storm (9-2) play Bryant College (0-11) tonight in Carnesecca Arena (7:00, no TV, WBBR 1130 AM), coming off a 71-66 loss to Cornell Monday night in the championship game of the Madison Square Garden Holiday Festival. It's the last game before St. John's begins Big East play on Dec. 31 at Georgetown.
Lawrence is averaging just 2.5 points and two boards in limited minutes, but he is doing everything and more to stay on the court. Lawrence has been working with strength and conditioning coach Pat Dixon to drop 10 pounds, and he has been staying after practice for an extra 90 minutes of shooting.
"I think the speed of the game has been the hardest thing to adjust to," Lawrence said. "I need to be more consistent. If I can show the staff that, I'll see the court more. It's on me."
:frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 12:43:10 AM »
St. John’s freshman guard Omari Lawrence has started his career with an interesting role – an off the bench jack-of-all-trades. He’s defended against Duke’s Kyle Singler, he’s brought the ball up against opponents, he’s been the rebounder in a 4-guard lineup. In all of this, he’s put up an interesting stat line – an effective field goal percentage of 39.7% (not good), an offensive rating of 71.6, a defensive rebound percentage of 16.8% of available misses, a 5.0 steal percentage, a turnover percentage of 28.0, 2.1 block percentage… he’s made some plays but he has struggled as well.
Don’t write him off like some have. In fact, look at Maryland’s Sean Mosley. He was a top 150 guard (as Omari was in all the scouting services at one point) who came to Maryland and looked like he had no clue how to shoot a basketball. Mosley rebounded decently, defended solidly, made passes from time to time but didn’t make enough positive plays. Mosley couldn’t hit the side of the barn and compounded it with turnovers. Omari? He rebounds decently, defends solidly (with some mistakes to be sure, but he is very willing), he makes passes from time to time but not enough, and his shooting is… not good right now.

Yeah, he's a Frank Martin wet dream   :frown:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:45:51 AM »
Is he a scaled down version of Wally Judge? I don't mean position, or even style of play, but rather is he a talented guy that just didn't get a lot done as a freshman?

I guess I'm wondering if this is worth getting excited over (assuming it's true).
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 12:46:33 AM »
One update during his recruitment:

"Most recently I've been offered by Marquette, Syracuse and Villanova and, oh yeah, Louisville as well," says Lawrence who plans to take a visit there once the AAU season is over.

:love: :love: :love:

BTW, just rated him a five star on Rivals User Ratings. That's the only rating by a user so he is an overall five star at the moment (and you wonder why he is transferring St. John's fans :rolleyes:). Let's hope that this pays off in the long run!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:50:16 AM by Pett »

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 12:47:52 AM »
Has Frank and co just mailed it in recruiting wise?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 12:53:21 AM »
TheRecruitScoop  RT @AdamZagoria: Omari Lawrence tells Alex Kline he's considering Clemson, Xavier, George Washington,Virginia Tech & Rhode Island."No visits have been set."   3 days ago from web

weird...no mention of ksu.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »
Coach complaining about how his kids aren't getting attention:

http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=733129

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 01:01:43 AM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
big 12

i have some pics of him from a workout last week he is cut up. too little too late for him at st.johns

he hurt his shoulder got fat. healed it was still fat. coach at south kent never made him get into shape. he just lifted weights and played. he thought he was gonna step into the big east with his skills. not being in shape. he was feeling himself the staff didnt control him and whip him into shape. he got back into shape during the middle of the season but it was to late. but he is straight now. humbled like hell but i think it was for the best i got my man omoney back. he is oh so focused now.

the above 3 are from the same poster.  the bottom 2 from two different posters.  st johns board.

just heard K-state knocking st the door too.

Definately was out of shape> agree with that. But his skill set is still very high. Saw him work out at gaucho gym and the kid is down to 195-200 lbs and jumping to the moon again. Definately needs fresh start. Minnesota got at him too. Tubby Smith would be a good look for him. Though his performance last year didn't show it, this dude destroyed every gaurd in his class nationally in AAU circuit. OZ Cross can confirm that. That's why these colleges want him. They know his best foot wasn't forward at SJU,partly hids fault,partly Norm's.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »
Good stuff sys.  Makes me have good Kelly fatness feelings about him.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 01:08:30 AM »
Can't help but be reminded of 90's Snyder football recruiting...

K-State football = "juco-U"

K-State basketball = "transfer U?"

Who know's. Snyder raided juco's like never before and built a powerhouse. Apparently Frank feels like transfers are his trump card. I understand we have to get a little more creative than the KU's of the world when it comes to recruiting. If this is the route we're going so be it. Makes our program look a little less elite but who cares as long as we are winning. Just hope it doesn't get too ridiculous.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 01:08:43 AM »
Quote from:  original rivals eval
Omari Lawrence is a 6'3" 175lb shooting at St. Raymond H.S. in the Bronx. Lawrence is a relentless individual who powers his way to the rim by any means necessary. Although he does have a reliable mid range jump shot he tends to prefer attacking the rim, usually scoring the basket and picking up the foul.

Lawrence is also a good rebounder, getting many of his points from offensive rebounds or off fast break created off defensive rebounds. Lawrence like Lance Stephenson can and will take over a game if necessary. He also tends to inspire teammates.

Lawrence sometimes tends to force shots but rarely. Omari Lawrence plays for Coach Oz Cross and the NY Panthers Juniors.

could he be a more Martin player?