Author Topic: State of the Program  (Read 3799 times)

Offline ZmoneyKSU

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
State of the Program
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »
With the completion of this season, I can't help but look forward to what lies a head with the program.  Its the first significant 'changing of the guard (no pun intended)' this program has had in some near 20 years.  Losing a centerpiece like Jacob Pullen is never easy, and is irreplaceable in what he has meant to this program. In short he will be missed, but never out of mind, because we should be able to look up and see his jersey in the rafters one day not too far away.  This program is continuing to grow in the right direction, and I just hope it does.  I just want to break down certain elements of the program and see what people think. (this is my opinion and feel free to disagree if I am way off base with anything.)

First, the administration.  So far I think the work Currie has done as AD has been great. We've had our doubts at times, but I think most would agree he is a more than capable AD, and we're in good hands.  Still has yet to make a significant hire...yet, and let's hope the first big coaching hire is for football, not basketball.
Next, the facilities.  I don't know the projected completion date of the basketball facility, but whenever it is done, it's only going to help this program and show that K-State is serious about basketball. Hopefully, will make us more attractive to recruits.
Frank Martin.... the vital cog to it all right now.  I don't anticipate Frank leaving anytime soon, at least not for a couple years, but you just never know.  My thoughts are that within the next 2-3 years Frank will begin to know how much he wants to really be here.  If the next couple years prove to be a challenge in duplicating the success he had years 1-4, he will start to develop a wandering eye. 
Essentially, if recruiting and making a run at the Big 12 title and the NCAA tourney prove to be more difficult I could see him starting to think about leaving, and when the right opening came along, he'd take it.  Right now Frank is a 'name' coach, I mean not even LHC Bill Snyder got the publicity Frank gets now in the national media. Obviously, Frank is a touch more charismatic than Snyds.  The publicity Frank has earned needs to be capitalized because we saw how quickly the tide turned on Frank when the team was losing. He went from fiery, lovable, and quirky; to crazy and unstable within a couple weeks.
If he leaves I just wonder who'd they find to replace him.  I don't see any big names running towards this job, so it would have to be a unproven or mid major guy... or someone on the staff, like Underwood.  Underwood is K-State through and through, so I don't want to rip him; however, at this point in time, he's not who I want running the program.  He's earned respect from me this year for helping Frank adjust the offense mid season, so maybe there is hope yet for him.
Now I didn't mention Dalonte because I can't help but wonder how long he'll stick around for.  He just doesn't strike me as wanting to be here forever. Also, his recruiting feels like it has tailed off as of late.  Now I am far from a expert on the matter, so correct me if I say something inaccurate.  The Hill recruits aren't as prevalent as they once were.  McGruder, Southwell, Samuels, JO, Irving and Russell are the only one's I see that Hill either directly recruited or helped in recruiting.  Gipson and Diaz I couldn't find lead recruiter for.  It just doesn't feel like Hill is bringing in as much as we all thought he would, and it feels like I see Underwood and Figger's names attached to a lot more recruits than Hill. 
Plus, he's just near impossible to read.  He always is so straight faced, and essentially from what I have seen from a distance, never seems to be "enjoying Manhattan." Obviously, that is just my observation from the games cause I never see him otherwise.  So I just wonder how long he stays.
Figger, not much to say other than it feels like he's making progress in recruiting, so hopefully that is a good sign.  Seems like a good member of the staff. 

I thought about breaking down the players, but ran out of steam.  Maybe I will later.  Let me hear your thoughts and critiques... am I way off with my assessments?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: State of the Program
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
 :ck:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »
Curries career will be decided by the football hire after OBz is done.

Hopefully he knows that and won't hire Sean.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »
Season after Beasley was bigger change IMO.

Offline ZmoneyKSU

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
The big thing after Beasley leaving was whether Frank could really coach or not.  I think we all knew there was still some real talent on the roster.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
I suppose this is the biggest changing of the guard for a 4 year player in awhile. We've definitely been bad and lost players from those bad teams and became even worse (i.e. when we lost E. Hatcher during the Asbury era). So, this may not be as monumental a task considering we are in good hands with Frank. Asbury never seemed to have a clue on building a program.

If we keep showing Frank the $$, facilities, and fan support he may not leave. Of course, if for some reason he cannot get players anymore we have a serious problem. In his 1st four years Frank has shown himself to be aware of how using the media can improve our image. He routinely is on the Jim Rome  and Van Pelt shows. Basically, he has become our brand image. It is not easy to accomplish this and he has done it in 4 years. If he leaves, it will be for a top tier job and we'll be left with the Wooly scraps.

Dalonte will be gone in no more than 2 years I'd say and then we'll find out just how important his recruiting was or how much better Figger and Underwood have become.

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:26 AM »
I'm with you, Martin will be here for a while.  I think the real question is when will someone take a chance on Hill and when they do who will go with him.  I'm good wth him staying forever but you know at some point with us being successful and him having recruiting connections someone will want him for their head coaching job.  If Hill leaves my guess is that each person will just move up a notch, underwood takes Hills spot and Andy A. moves up to an assistant.

As for replacing Pullen I think McGruds can come the closest to replacing, no one will replace him though.  But McGruds was 2nd in 3 pt makes and he has shown that he can make jump shots off the bounce plus he is a great rebounder.  Really the thing that will need to be replaced for next year is a vocal leader which McGruds will never be.  No knock on him but he just isn't the type of guy to get in your face.

Samuels better go back to playing like his sophmore year next year.  He needs to be our go to post player next year.

I think we will be fine next year, 10-8 in league and in the NCAA.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »
  I think the real question is when will someone take a chance on Hill and when they do who will go with him.  I'm good wth him staying forever but you know at some point with us being successful and him having recruiting connections someone will want him for their head coaching job. 

Hill has done one thing very very well since bringing in Beasley.  Getting paid. 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
  I think the real question is when will someone take a chance on Hill and when they do who will go with him.  I'm good wth him staying forever but you know at some point with us being successful and him having recruiting connections someone will want him for their head coaching job. 

Hill has done one thing very very well since bringing in Beasley.  Getting paid. 

well we could free up about $200k or more for Frank if he left.  I would like to see what goes on at practice and in film study before I say he isn't earning his money.    who knows, maybe he is the mastermind behind how we beat KU.  I would say that is worth the money..

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »

well we could free up about $200k or more for Frank if he left.  I would like to see what goes on at practice and in film study before I say he isn't earning his money.    who knows, maybe he is the mastermind behind how we beat KU.  I would say that is worth the money..

He is earning the extra money for the 2007 class. He still deserves it IMO. Without the 2007 class, he still deserves at least as much as the others.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:35 AM »
christ...

:DNR:

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »

He is earning the extra money for the 2007 class. He still deserves it IMO. Without the 2007 class, he still deserves at least as much as the others.

How long should he continue to earn extra coin for the 2007 class, assuming he doesn't bring in anymore high level talent?

I wonder how dax feels on this topic...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »

How long should he continue to earn extra coin for the 2007 class, assuming he doesn't bring in anymore high level talent?

I don't really care, as long as the overall staff salary isn't ridiculous. Frank can allocate however he sees fit.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
Cliff Notes?

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 09:22:48 AM »
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline D-FRED-BROWN

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
meh, im not worried about guards. imo most (if not all) of our guards are capable and one of them can easily step up to the plate to lead the team. it'd be nice if it were mcgruds because he has a little more experience than sprads, but i think sprads wouldn't be a bad choice b/c hes hbbiq.

big men are what worry me... hopefully we can recruit some decent ones that can help out right off the bat

Offline CatsFan_58

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »

Who gives a eff?! He is just going to go into another rant on how bad Frank is and such.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 05:50:08 AM »
meh, im not worried about guards. imo most (if not all) of our guards are capable and one of them can easily step up to the plate to lead the team. it'd be nice if it were mcgruds because he has a little more experience than sprads, but i think sprads wouldn't be a bad choice b/c hes hbbiq.

big men are what worry me... hopefully we can recruit some decent ones that can help out right off the bat
We got 2 big men for the incoming class, but I wouldn't count on them being too great right away. I just hope they are truly good in a couple years.

I'd take next year's record to be 8-8 in a hear beat.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 01:23:50 PM »
We got 2 big men for the incoming class, but I wouldn't count on them being too great right away. I just hope they are truly good in a couple years.

How do you see our last two games of the b12-2 season going?  8-8 is acceptable if we win one of the last two I guess.
:adios:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »

How do you see our last two games of the b12-2 season going?  8-8 is acceptable if we win one of the last two I guess.
My mistake, too used to 16 games I guess. Anyway, if we get to .500, I'll be more than pleased. Over .500 and I'll freak.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.