Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068026 times)

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #17925 on: February 04, 2012, 12:02:02 AM »
I don't think anyone here is really understanding how this crap works.  the big east can't force WV to stay.  They can join the big 12 whenever they want.  they could (will) face a judgement when/if they do if they don't reach an agreement but their filing the proactive suit against the conference basically told them they were leaving and let's get down to dollars.  people act like a court is going to physically force WV to stay in the BE.  They will be in the B12.  This is all wrangling for what they will end up paying to do so.  also "are in non-binding mediation talks and the two sides are scheduled for a status conference next week" means they are just sitting their attorneys in a room and neither side has to agree to crap.  The fact that they entered into non-binding arb means they both know what's up and the dollar figure just isn't agreed upon yet.  It will be.  Just like it will be with aTm, MU and it was with NU and CU.  

This is a good post.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17926 on: February 04, 2012, 12:13:16 AM »
I don't think anyone here is really understanding how this crap works.  the big east can't force WV to stay.  They can join the big 12 whenever they want.  they could (will) face a judgement when/if they do if they don't reach an agreement but their filing the proactive suit against the conference basically told them they were leaving and let's get down to dollars.  people act like a court is going to physically force WV to stay in the BE.  They will be in the B12.  This is all wrangling for what they will end up paying to do so.  also "are in non-binding mediation talks and the two sides are scheduled for a status conference next week" means they are just sitting their attorneys in a room and neither side has to agree to crap.  The fact that they entered into non-binding arb means they both know what's up and the dollar figure just isn't agreed upon yet.  It will be.  Just like it will be with aTm, MU and it was with NU and CU.  

This is a good post.

you're god damn right it is swift cat you old son of a bitch!

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17927 on: February 04, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »
Disparities in the 120-member bowl subdivision have grown increasingly pronounced since then. Individual schools' athletics revenues ranged from $3.8 million to nearly $144 million in 2010, according to the NCAA, prompting the less wealthy to lean more heavily on student fees and other institutional subsidization to try to stay competitive.

We can talk about TV markets and everything going forward, but the truth is that the next cutoff is going to be schools who are willing to ante up for a seat at the table.

Where do we sit in this discussion?

We're in the top 60 for sure.

yeah. we also should've been in the sugar this year.

Wouldn't have been that much more money, if that's what you're talking about.

I'm not sure I agree with you.

If K-State had been invited to the Sugar, we would have had two teams in the BCS (first gets $22.3 million, second gets $6.1 million) and we would not have had to send anyone to the Independence bowl.  According to the link below, that would have meant total revenue of about $44,100,000 for the conference (or $4,410,000 per school).

With only one team in the BCS, it looks like the conference got a total of about $39,150,000 (or about $3,915,000 per school).  The difference is about $495,000.  A half of a million dollars per school is pretty nice money.  That would be a nice chunk to add to our facility upgrade fund, or scholarship fund, or coaching salary fund, etc.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/29/bowl-game-payouts-map-2011-2012-bcs_n_1174808.html

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17928 on: February 04, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
there is a sugar bowl butthurt thread, you guys.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline LandThieves

• Land Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
    • Ten Yards At A Time
« Reply #17930 on: February 04, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
WVU/Big East have a meeting on the 9th hope the damn schedule is released soon after

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #17931 on: February 04, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
JFC, I completely missed the last page of this thread.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:40:02 PM by Rams »
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17932 on: February 04, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
Disparities in the 120-member bowl subdivision have grown increasingly pronounced since then. Individual schools' athletics revenues ranged from $3.8 million to nearly $144 million in 2010, according to the NCAA, prompting the less wealthy to lean more heavily on student fees and other institutional subsidization to try to stay competitive.

We can talk about TV markets and everything going forward, but the truth is that the next cutoff is going to be schools who are willing to ante up for a seat at the table.

Where do we sit in this discussion?

We're in the top 60 for sure.

yeah. we also should've been in the sugar this year.

Wouldn't have been that much more money, if that's what you're talking about.

I'm not sure I agree with you.

If K-State had been invited to the Sugar, we would have had two teams in the BCS (first gets $22.3 million, second gets $6.1 million) and we would not have had to send anyone to the Independence bowl.  According to the link below, that would have meant total revenue of about $44,100,000 for the conference (or $4,410,000 per school).

With only one team in the BCS, it looks like the conference got a total of about $39,150,000 (or about $3,915,000 per school).  The difference is about $495,000.  A half of a million dollars per school is pretty nice money.  That would be a nice chunk to add to our facility upgrade fund, or scholarship fund, or coaching salary fund, etc.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/29/bowl-game-payouts-map-2011-2012-bcs_n_1174808.html

The lower payout for the second BCS team is exactly what I was talking about.  I suppose "SHITLOAD of money" is a relative term, but in the grand scheme of things, $500k in revenue is not that much to be butthurt about IMO.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17933 on: February 04, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »
yeah, $500k times 12 isn't crap.  good post Rams. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17934 on: February 04, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »

There are so many things about this post that I don't understand.  :confused:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17935 on: February 04, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »

list them

Offline Lemonrock

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17936 on: February 04, 2012, 08:07:31 PM »

list them
Why was the font the same size throughout?
Why did you not utilize any different color options?
Most of all why were the italic, underline, bold and strikethrough adjustments completely ignored?
Where is this,             
or this?
:confused:
S.outhern ignorance +
E.astern arrogance =
C.onfernce hatred

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17937 on: February 04, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »

list them

1. 12 teams?

2. This whole discussion started by talking about how KSU ranks in terms of revenue, not the conference as a whole.  I'm just making as assumption, but $500K can't be that much in terms of our overall revenue this year, can it?

3. Can't tell if serious.  I mean, $6MM still isn't crap in terms of our overall conference revenue for last year, right?  I honestly have no idea.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17938 on: February 04, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
yeah, $500k times 12 isn't crap.  good post Rams.  

There are so many things about this post that I don't understand.  :confused:

list them

1. 12 teams?

2. This whole discussion started by talking about how KSU ranks in terms of revenue, not the conference as a whole.  I'm just making as assumption, but $500K can't be that much in terms of our overall revenue this year, can it?

3. Can't tell if serious.  I mean, $6MM still isn't crap in terms of our overall conference revenue for last year, right?  I honestly have no idea.

ok, 10.  it's a lot of money you dumbass.  I mean, not compared to the GDP of the United States though.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17939 on: February 04, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »

list them

1. 12 teams?

ok, 10.  it's a lot of money you dumbass.  I mean, not compared to the GDP of the United States though.

What was our overall conference revenue this year?  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17940 on: February 04, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »

list them

1. 12 teams?

whatever it could have been minus six million

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17941 on: February 04, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »

list them

1. 12 teams?

Actually I just looked it up.  Looks like 2010 was about $139MM, so we can assumed 2011 was at least $150MM.  $500k per school is $5MM.  $5MM is just over 3% of the total revenue of the conference.  I wouldn't call 3% a SHITLOAD. :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17942 on: February 04, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »

list them

1. 12 teams?

Actually I just looked it up.  Looks like 2010 was about $139MM, so we can assumed 2011 was at least $150MM.  $500k per school is $5MM.  $5MM is just over 3% of the total revenue of the conference.  I wouldn't call 3% a SHITLOAD. :dunno:

because you are a dumbass

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17943 on: February 04, 2012, 08:32:39 PM »

list them

1. 12 teams?

because you are a dumbass

pffft

apology accepted

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17944 on: February 05, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »
I'm more pissed about a potential easy win in Michigan, than the money.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #17945 on: February 05, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »
I'm more pissed about a potential easy win in Michigan, than the money.

Agreed. Not that it would be easy, but definitely a better, more high-profile matchup.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline powercat_62

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17946 on: February 06, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »
Under the new terms that are being negotiated, each of the ACC’s 14 schools can expect at least $14 million to $15 million a year, sources said, depending on how negotiations between the conference and ESPN conclude.

That would help the ACC close a fairly significant annual revenue gap with other major conferences. The Pac-12 and Big Ten each are distributing close to $21 million per school a year. The SEC’s deal provides $17 million per school, and the Big 12’s schools each average $15 million.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/06/Colleges/ACC-TV.aspx

I find it interesting that the ACC is only going to pull even money wise with where the Big 12 is currently after add  Pitt and Syracuse.  Maybe the rumors of Clemson & FSU being unhappy with the ACC have more merit than most people originally assumed.  Once the Big 12 has its new tier 1 deal in place, the ACC will likely be a distant #5 in terms of TV revenue.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17947 on: February 06, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »
Under the new terms that are being negotiated, each of the ACC’s 14 schools can expect at least $14 million to $15 million a year, sources said, depending on how negotiations between the conference and ESPN conclude.

That would help the ACC close a fairly significant annual revenue gap with other major conferences. The Pac-12 and Big Ten each are distributing close to $21 million per school a year. The SEC’s deal provides $17 million per school, and the Big 12’s schools each average $15 million.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/06/Colleges/ACC-TV.aspx

I find it interesting that the ACC is only going to pull even money wise with where the Big 12 is currently after add  Pitt and Syracuse.  Maybe the rumors of Clemson & FSU being unhappy with the ACC have more merit than most people originally assumed.  Once the Big 12 has its new tier 1 deal in place, the ACC will likely be a distant #5 in terms of TV revenue.

It also goes to show how careful the Big 12 has to be in choosing #11 and #12.  If we're only going to add 1.5-2mil by adding 2 teams, its better to just say at 10 and split more money evenly when we renegotiate in 2015 (or sooner).

The only way we're going to get up around the 20 million per team area, is stay at 10, or add an FSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Clemson..etc. Another thing to consider is after they redo the BCS this year and make it a 4 team tourney of sorts, it may be more advantageous to be in a small 10 team conference than buried in some behemoth 14-16 team monster conference. You win the conference, you're probably in the top 4 with a shot at the title.

Here is the Big 10's latest proposal for a playoff...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-big-ten-idea-a-college-football-playoff-with-home-games-20120206,0,4747499.story
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:53:50 PM by bws »

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #17948 on: February 06, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »

I find it interesting that the ACC is only going to pull even money wise with where the Big 12 is currently after add  Pitt and Syracuse.  Maybe the rumors of Clemson & FSU being unhappy with the ACC have more merit than most people originally assumed.  Once the Big 12 has its new tier 1 deal in place, the ACC will likely be a distant #5 in terms of TV revenue.

This is absolutely why Florida State and Clemson have approached the Big 12.  They would have been stupid not to if $14-15 million is the best case scenario.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17949 on: February 06, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
Looks like West Virgina is letting Clemson have it; right in the kisser!
West Virginia has a billboard on I-79 with score of the Orange Bowl

Via Dominion Post

What’s worse than getting destroyed by West Virginia 70-33 in the Orange Bowl? Having West Virginia put up a sign of the score 70-33 for recruiting purposes on highway I-79. It just so happens that the highways speed limit is 70 miles per hour so of course they incorporated that into the billboard. It’s important to drive safe.

The billboard can be seen entering West Virginia from the north side of the state. The Dominion Post had this to say.

“WVU spokeswoman Becky Lofstead said WVU advertises on billboards, one on I-79 and the other on I-68, to use as recruitment marketing. The Orange Bowl message is on both of those boards.

”The school spends about $14,000 a year on the billboards, Lofstead said. It is likely the new ones will be displayed for six months.

http://throwtheflagblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WVU-billboard.png
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:55:44 PM by Katdaddy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.