Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3965234 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »
....they'll keep playing until we are underwater.

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/21054795?tag=headlines;other

If the Big 10 expands by 3 or 5, we are going to take it in the ass.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
Another good break down on the "next steps."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/11680/big-ten-expansion-push-heating-up

Missouri and Nebraska both continue to get mentioned.  I cannot think of a scenario where the Big 10 increases by 5 without them. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:04:27 PM »
Conventional wisdom says the Big East may be hardest hit by an even bigger Big Ten. And will perennial Big Ten hopeful Missouri actually make the jump?

And, most importantly, how many dominoes will be set in motion by the Big Ten's decision? The landscape may be hard to recognize.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/big-ten-expansion-the-fast-track.html

Psssssstttt......the "size" of the change in the "landscape" is going to be directly proportional to wear-and-tear on our rectums.

catzacker

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
we could fracking own the mountain west. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »
we could fracking own the mountain west. 

The magic number for rough ridin' KSU is Five.  If the Big 10 expands by 3, it seems to me that Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers make the most sense.  They are all AAU schools in massive TV markets.

Five would add Mizzou and NU, IMO.  Perhaps there is a chance that the Big 12 goes and gets Louisville and Moutain West or WAC school we could survive in tact, but I doubt it.

The Big East is about to get destroyed, and that will cause big ripples.

Our best case scenario is that the Big 10 only expands by 1 and leaves us unscathed. 

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
We should just join the Big 10 (at least until 'clams and I put the final touches on CE).

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:28:08 PM »
Texas seems a strange candidate to me.  They already have their fiefdom here.  I think if this goes down UT gets the band back together and repurposes a big 8/10 swc combo:

okie schools, ks schools all the texas schools, + maybe tcu and/or houston/rice.  Warm up your southern road trips!

The42Yardstick

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
Texas seems a strange candidate to me.  They already have their fiefdom here.  I think if this goes down UT gets the band back together and repurposes a big 8/10 swc combo:

okie schools, ks schools all the texas schools, + maybe tcu and/or houston/rice.  Warm up your southern road trips!

This opens up absolutely no new tv markets

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »

It would for the Big 10 and Pac 10.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 08:28:51 PM »
First, KSU can't join the Big 10 unless the Big 10 changes it's own bylaws...you have to be an AAU school.  KSU is not.  Mizzou, NU, KU and ISU are.

Texas isn't being courted by the Big 10 in this thing.  That's off the table.  

Mizzou and NU make a TON of sense.  Mizzou locks down Missouri and NU brings more than just Nebraska, they are recognizable name in football, which what this is all about.

If the Big 10 moves to 16 (gains 5), then IMO NU and MU are part of it.  If the Big 10 goes to 12 or 14, we are safe.

IF, MU and NU go, it will appear that the Big 12's best option is to offer both BYU and Utah.  The PAC-10, unless they are just stupid, is probably going to offer them as well....the writing is on the wall, super conference are the next step.  So, we'll have a battle to get the Utah schools, and we lose battles.  So, we'll probably end up with TCU/SMU or New Mexio / New Mexico State.

The real horror that is out there is that the Big 10 goes to 16 (takes MU and NU), then the SEC gets greedy and tries to keep up with the Jones' and pulls UT, aTm, OU and OSU.  IMO, this is what is going to happen, this is our destiny.  NO other BCS conference is going to come walking through that door asking us to join up.   On the up side, w prolly get to keep Farmageddon.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »

Well, sure. But Texas isn't content to see their conference's overall media footprint decrease. They'll whore themselves out to any interested conference before they try to get a zombie SWC rolling.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »

Well, sure. But Texas isn't content to see their conference's overall media footprint decrease. They'll whore themselves out to any interested conference before they try to get a zombie SWC rolling.

IIRC, Texas and aTm literally are bound by Texas law to be in the same conference unless overridden by a vote or some crap.  Both the Pac-10 and the SEC would kill to get both UT and aTm.

When this stuff starts moving, it will blow up fast....just like it did when the Big 12 was formed and when the ACC robbed the Big East.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:41:05 PM »
eff it, time to beat everyone to the punch and get Conference Elite lined up sooner than later.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »
shazbot! it, time to beat everyone to the punch and get Conference Elite lined up sooner than later.

Seriously, I feel like I am the only one who understands that a meteor is headed directly for earth but no one around me cares.  Fellas, we are on the mother rough ridin' cusp of mid-majorship.  IT'S rough ridin' HEADED DIRECTLY FOR US! Not Joking, here.   There is really bad crap on the horizon.

Do you understand the implication of becoming a mid major school?  Do you?  Ever talked to someone from Colorado State?  Ever ask them about football?  They are rough ridin' clueless, and they aren't even gorgeous mountain hippies like CU people are. 

Move over Wichita State, there's a new player in town.   :flush:

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »
:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

It's not serious unless you call me in a few hours for a talking-down.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 08:48:50 PM »
Non-FB related:

Anderson will tear up the league.  Big 10 hoops fans won't know what hit them.  Good ridance.

Will miss Doc immensely.  Hopefully Frank will do a home and home.  Will cheer loudly when NU gets a bid as the #16 seed on selection sunday.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »
Also, very important question; should I start making the new "These CATS are no MID-MAJOR" t-shirts now?  :dunno:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »
Would love to be in a conference that we could compete in and win every once in a while.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »
Would love to be in a conference that we could compete in and win every once in a while.

Mid major conference "titles" are rough ridin' worthless.  Disgusting to be a part of, IMO.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 09:47:25 PM »
I thought all this super conference crap was over in the 90's(sans ACC). Cant wait to load up the FB team with Kansas kids who want to be here and get destroyed by memphis and UTEP!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »
I thought all this super conference crap was over in the 90's(sans ACC). Cant wait to load up the FB team with Kansas kids who want to be here and get destroyed by memphis and UTEP!

We would own at least one of those teams.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »
you know what they say- if it smells like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck.  we've been a midmajor for a long time.  who cares?  if you want to cheer for a BCS team just switch to KU and cheer for them in BCS team games, and cheer for the Cats for mid-major games.   

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 11:01:48 AM »
you know what they say- if it smells like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck.  we've been a midmajor for a long time.  who cares?  if you want to cheer for a BCS team just switch to KU and cheer for them in BCS team games, and cheer for the Cats for mid-major games.   

I don't think Kentucky's football program is that much better than ours but at least we could keep the EMAW thing.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »
you know what they say- if it smells like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck.

Yeah, because there's no such thing as a robot duck.   :rolleyes:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »
Mt. West roadies!  Colorado Springs?  Ft. Collins?  San Diego?  Vegas? Yes please  :drool: