Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980314 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35225 on: May 18, 2023, 10:17:58 PM »
The internet says that the 7 ACC "haves" are genuinely interested in breaking up with the ACC.  A Boone Pickens type rascal should investigate buying them out, acquiring their rights, and the rights of a new conference with Oregon and Washington and a few other schools.

I doubt this goes anywhere for another 10 years.  It seems this was more about brainstorming how to get out to the GOR and they all came up with is you can't.
I agree

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35226 on: May 19, 2023, 05:09:56 PM »
The internet says that the 7 ACC "haves" are genuinely interested in breaking up with the ACC.  A Boone Pickens type rascal should investigate buying them out, acquiring their rights, and the rights of a new conference with Oregon and Washington and a few other schools.

I doubt this goes anywhere for another 10 years.  It seems this was more about brainstorming how to get out to the GOR and they all came up with is you can't.
I agree

I think MIR hit it on the nail head.  Even if they could get out of the ACC, there is no money for a new league.  I think that is why everything died down during their meetings.  I do think if things don't change for them and they go with the uneven payouts there will be so much resentment by '36 they will either dissolve the conference or lose several schools and end up a shadow of what they were.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35227 on: May 19, 2023, 05:15:59 PM »

I agree

I think MIR hit it on the nail head.  Even if they could get out of the ACC, there is no money for a new league.  I think that is why everything died down during their meetings.  I do think if things don't change for them and they go with the uneven payouts there will be so much resentment by '36 they will either dissolve the conference or lose several schools and end up a shadow of what they were.

The end game is not to form a new league, it is to join SEC\Big10.  I think a couple of the 7 (NC State and Va Tech) are having delusions of grandeur with that but those types of delusions are common in this era of realignment.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35228 on: May 19, 2023, 05:18:55 PM »
For those keeping score at home.  Big 12 is still 3rd in $ per team.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1659626983205027870?s=20

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35229 on: May 19, 2023, 08:43:44 PM »

I agree

The end game is not to form a new league, it is to join SEC\Big10.  I think a couple of the 7 (NC State and Va Tech) are having delusions of grandeur with that but those types of delusions are common in this era of realignment.

That's the dream, but reality set in during the first day of their meetings and they discovered the big 10 & SEC already have network contracts that don't include money for new schools.  That is why they settled on pay for performance and became very quiet about breaking away from the conference.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35230 on: May 19, 2023, 09:25:12 PM »
There's some good news for the ACC's supposedly 3rd highest network contract they have been talking about this week.  Also, this is our current contract, not the even higher-paying new one.
https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1659629172841431044?s=20

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35231 on: May 19, 2023, 10:05:05 PM »
We are/will be the 3rd best option out of the P5 going forward and given all the mess the original holy crap was over a decade ago, that is damn good. If we get some decent pick ups from the Pac, awesome, same with ACC. End of the day we're in alright, not great, not terrible spot. I know a lot is made out of the payouts, but how much us a few mil really going to move the needle per school if said school has the donors to back it up. If it was all about local, Miami and USC and UCLA would have end gamed this. If it was all about endowments Ivy League would destroy it all. It's eye balls, and in college, it's forever going to be fairly regional, no matter how much talking heads try to make it national. It has a ceiling, and we're near it, IMO.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35232 on: May 20, 2023, 12:11:54 AM »
Big XII is an exciting conference with teams fighting for wins in every game, and that's why we're still in the game at landing the third-best network contract despite losing UT & OU.  It's all about eyes on the game.  The PAC and ACC are jelly and know the Big XII is the future of the P3.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35233 on: May 22, 2023, 10:10:43 PM »
The big 10 should just go get Clemson and FSU and work a deal out so that Clemson and FSU make more than they are now, the big 10 locks in two huge football brands in the southeast, and the ACC gets compensated fairly for the departures.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35235 on: May 22, 2023, 11:18:55 PM »
Sucks to suck.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35236 on: May 23, 2023, 09:54:17 AM »
Schulz and Currie - The Two Horsemen of Conference Apocalypse.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35237 on: May 23, 2023, 06:52:47 PM »
Given that Colorado was already unhappy with the payout, it would make sense that they'd be even unhappier with a reduction.

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1661139744988753921

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35238 on: May 23, 2023, 10:23:00 PM »
Colorado has to be the least desired school from the PAC.  They were broke when they left the Big XII and now they are broke wanting back in.  If they do come I hope it's at a reduced share.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35239 on: May 23, 2023, 11:21:10 PM »
Colorado has to be the least desired school from the PAC.  They were broke when they left the Big XII and now they are broke wanting back in.  If they do come I hope it's at a reduced share.

Washington State (the KSU of the Pac) and Oregon State say hi.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35240 on: May 25, 2023, 08:45:32 AM »
IDK if any of you keep up with John Kurtz Youtube channel but he has a source that Colorado is already in talks with the Big 12 and that a deal is near finalizing
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35241 on: May 25, 2023, 11:33:10 AM »
IDK if any of you keep up with John Kurtz Youtube channel but he has a source that Colorado is already in talks with the Big 12 and that a deal is near finalizing

is the source barry tramel who said he has a source?

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35242 on: May 25, 2023, 12:56:50 PM »

You're absolutely right, I think about this quite a bit.  A big difference is that the Cougars and Beavers haven't performed as well in football, and don't draw the viewership of K-State.  As for KU, about the only time they have a decent TV audience is when they play K-State.

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35243 on: May 25, 2023, 01:29:43 PM »

You're absolutely right, I think about this quite a bit.  A big difference is that the Cougars and Beavers haven't performed as well in football, and don't draw the viewership of K-State.  As for KU, about the only time they have a decent TV audience is when they play K-State.

I currently live in WA and am surrounded by Cougs fans (my wife went there as well as all her friends).  We went up to Pulman for the Cal game last year, the stadium was over half empty, and it was homecoming.  Their fan base seems to be pretty devout, but only attend the big games like Oregon and Washington.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35244 on: May 25, 2023, 02:31:53 PM »
Colorado rejoining the Big 12 will be the catalyst that finalizes the collapse of the PAC 12.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35246 on: May 25, 2023, 04:45:23 PM »
Oh man, that's gonna piss off some prideful Utes.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35247 on: May 25, 2023, 06:40:49 PM »
LOL and you know what I don't care...send them back to the MW.  :lol:

EDIT:  Actually, I would be satisfied with only getting the Arizona schools.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35248 on: May 25, 2023, 06:42:49 PM »

I currently live in WA and am surrounded by Cougs fans (my wife went there as well as all her friends).  We went up to Pulman for the Cal game last year, the stadium was over half empty, and it was homecoming.  Their fan base seems to be pretty devout, but only attend the big games like Oregon and Washington.

So you're saying they are a lot like KU except they can'y play BB worth a crap either.

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35249 on: May 25, 2023, 09:18:11 PM »

So you're saying they are a lot like KU except they can'y play BB worth a crap either.

Haha yep!  They have had more recent football success, and their stadium is much nicer.  But yeah, they are mountain west material for sure!