Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4064599 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35175 on: May 14, 2023, 02:14:23 PM »
what the eff is the holy war? sorry I don’t follow this thread

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35176 on: May 14, 2023, 03:57:21 PM »
It's blatantly obvious from the context of this tread, but Google is your friend.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35177 on: May 14, 2023, 04:52:47 PM »

It’s actually the holgy war (Houston vs WV)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35178 on: May 14, 2023, 05:16:49 PM »
It's blatantly obvious from the context of this tread, but Google is your friend.
google is not my friend you rough ridin' downgrade

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35179 on: May 14, 2023, 05:19:01 PM »
It’s the Utah vs BYU game ‘clams.  I guess the holy part is they are all Mormons in Utah.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35180 on: May 14, 2023, 05:47:03 PM »
ty, poster of the day week wetwillie

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35181 on: May 15, 2023, 06:33:56 AM »
How did ‘fried not know that ‘clams’ parents blocked Google from their home internet network? Thought everyone knew that

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35182 on: May 15, 2023, 09:16:08 AM »
Being the big fish in the ACC worked out pretty great for FSU in the 90s, but maybe they'd have done this differently with the benefit of hindsight.

There’s been a long history of interest from the SEC in certain ACC powers as well. In fact, in 1990, when the league voted to expand, officials explored a variety of targets, seriously vetting Florida State before settling on South Carolina and Arkansas. Years later, then-coach Bobby Bowden and several athletic administrators involved in the process revealed that they turned down an invitation.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1658092057586483201

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35183 on: May 15, 2023, 10:42:35 AM »
Being the big fish in the ACC worked out pretty great for FSU in the 90s, but maybe they'd have done this differently with the benefit of hindsight.

There’s been a long history of interest from the SEC in certain ACC powers as well. In fact, in 1990, when the league voted to expand, officials explored a variety of targets, seriously vetting Florida State before settling on South Carolina and Arkansas. Years later, then-coach Bobby Bowden and several athletic administrators involved in the process revealed that they turned down an invitation.

Notably absent is the historical record of conference realignment, namely, the Pac's attempt to kill the Big 12.  Yeah, the Big 10 did that too, but the Pac is on the verge of extinction, which feels good given their gloating 10 years ago about putting the Big 12 out of business.  I don't see many poster talk about it, but Larry Scott's actions 10 years ago struck me as malicious, and the Pac may be getting its just due.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35184 on: May 15, 2023, 10:57:46 AM »

Notably absent is the historical record of conference realignment, namely, the Pac's attempt to kill the Big 12.  Yeah, the Big 10 did that too, but the Pac is on the verge of extinction, which feels good given their gloating 10 years ago about putting the Big 12 out of business.  I don't see many poster talk about it, but Larry Scott's actions 10 years ago struck me as malicious, and the Pac may be getting its just due.

Larry Scott was unsuccessful and he's long gone. Washington State, Oregon State, Cal, and Stanford fans had nothing to do with that and they, don't deserve to be relegated to the group of 5 because of things they had nothing to do with.

Sidenote, I take like Ross Dellenger, a lot, but the first sentence of that tweet is rough ridin' stupid.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35185 on: May 15, 2023, 11:59:59 AM »

Larry Scott was unsuccessful and he's long gone. Washington State, Oregon State, Cal, and Stanford fans had nothing to do with that and they, don't deserve to be relegated to the group of 5 because of things they had nothing to do with.

Sidenote, I take like Ross Dellenger, a lot, but the first sentence of that tweet is rough ridin' stupid.
They all knew what was going on, and they did nothing public to stop it.  They are all guilty of trying to kill the Big 12.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35187 on: May 15, 2023, 02:58:41 PM »

They all knew what was going on, and they did nothing public to stop it.  They are all guilty of trying to kill the Big 12.

The fans? While we're at it, what did the Pac 12 do to try to kill the Big 12? This is revisionist history like a MF. The schools that were rumored to leave,  OU and UT, were never close to going and now are gone already. We used to be mad at the Pac 12 because the university presidents didn't want all the other schools. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, the narrative is that they tried to "kill the Big 12," that's not rooted in any reality though. That narrative is being pushed by grievance agents.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35188 on: May 15, 2023, 03:33:07 PM »
The only difference between us and them is we are going to actually finish the job.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35189 on: May 15, 2023, 06:16:38 PM »
The only difference between us and them is we are going to actually finish the job.
:lynchmob:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #35190 on: May 15, 2023, 07:29:23 PM »

They don't deserve it, but neither do we, and we've been relegated already. We weren't dropped to G5 level, but the Big 12 won't ever be seen as a top tier football conference again.

Conference realignment overall sucks crap and is bad for the health of college sports. Imagine a 12 team playoff with auto bids to the champs of the original Big East, ACC, sec, big 10, big 12,and PAC with 6 at large selections. That would have been soooo rough ridin' fun.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35191 on: May 15, 2023, 08:33:01 PM »

They don't deserve it, but neither do we, and we've been relegated already. We weren't dropped to G5 level, but the Big 12 won't ever be seen as a top tier football conference again.

Conference realignment overall sucks crap and is bad for the health of college sports. Imagine a 12 team playoff with auto bids to the champs of the original Big East, ACC, sec, big 10, big 12,and PAC with 6 at large selections. That would have been soooo rough ridin' fun.

The rough ridin' Catholic BB schools and ACC destroyed the Big East.  The ACC will get their just rewards.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35192 on: May 15, 2023, 08:45:12 PM »

The fans? While we're at it, what did the Pac 12 do to try to kill the Big 12? This is revisionist history like a MF. The schools that were rumored to leave,  OU and UT, were never close to going and now are gone already. We used to be mad at the Pac 12 because the university presidents didn't want all the other schools. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, the narrative is that they tried to "kill the Big 12," that's not rooted in any reality though. That narrative is being pushed by grievance agents.
You are wrong.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2010-jun-14-la-sp-pac-10-texas-20100615-story.html

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35193 on: May 15, 2023, 09:35:16 PM »

The rough ridin' Catholic BB schools and ACC destroyed the Big East.  The ACC will get their just rewards.

rough ridin' Catholic faggots, amirite?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35194 on: May 15, 2023, 11:43:34 PM »

You are wrong.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2010-jun-14-la-sp-pac-10-texas-20100615-story.html

Am I crazy or is that what I said? It wasn't close. Texas didn't want to leave because the UPs didn't promise them the unequal revenue they had here and UT had already started negotiating with ESPN about LHN. Anyway, the tech president went on the record saying the Pac 10 rejected expansion.

Texas Tech President Guy Bailey said he would've wanted Tech to have been part of any mass move of Big 12 Conference schools to the Pac-12 Conference, but wasn't surprised when Pac-12 presidents voted against expansion late Tuesday.
https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/news/local/2011/09/21/tech-president-tech-wouldve-gone-pac-12-had-three-rivals-been-accepted/15211036007/
Now I could be wrong but the only reason why UT and OU released statements at the time was because they were a sure thing while Tech, OSU, KU and to a much lesser extent KSU, were hoping to be pulled along.

I'm trying to find the other date but this was the first of three times the Pac 12 UPs rejected the Big 12. We know they did in 2021 but I'm pretty sure it happened again in '14, '15, '16 ish.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35195 on: May 16, 2023, 06:46:33 AM »
I like how everyone seemingly just forgets about Colorado.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35196 on: May 16, 2023, 06:52:00 AM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35197 on: May 16, 2023, 06:57:14 AM »
Many in this thread haven’t forgotten about them.  I’d certainly rather have any of the other PAC teams than Colorado, as a direct result of their past choices. 

I think you are correct that conference leadership and University presidents certainly have….they are mercenaries.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35198 on: May 16, 2023, 07:04:15 AM »
Many in this thread haven’t forgotten about them.  I’d certainly rather have any of the other PAC teams than Colorado, as a direct result of their past choices. 

I think you are correct that conference leadership and University presidents certainly have….they are mercenaries.
Well I mean, in the discussion of “did the Pac try to kill the big 12?”  Taking another conference’s member is tantamount to trying to kill it in my view.  Especially when they were also doing back channel discussion trying to get others.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35199 on: May 16, 2023, 07:10:22 AM »

Well I mean, in the discussion of “did the Pac try to kill the big 12?”  Taking another conference’s member is tantamount to trying to kill it in my view.  Especially when they were also doing back channel discussion trying to get others.
Oh, I certainly agree. I mistakenly thought you merely meant we ought to exclude Colorado from future expansion (and you might have meant that too).