Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4052065 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32750 on: September 23, 2021, 10:51:44 PM »
Yeah I think Big 12 easily remains a viable P5 with a 12 team playoff. 4 team I could just as easily see it becoming more of a P2/P3.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32751 on: September 23, 2021, 10:53:26 PM »
I think the goal is a semi pro 32 team league and a break away from the NCAA
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32752 on: September 24, 2021, 01:15:18 AM »
Is this bizarro world? A four team playoff completely bones K-State and any legitimacy the Big 12 would ever have because it would be incredibly difficult for a Big 12 school to get in.

I hope like hell we get a 12 team or even 16 team playoff and they only delay it just to take the thing to the open market.

I assure you the SEC won't be bothered by how big the playoff is, they'll always get their bite of the apple first. We just hope there's enough of that apple left over for everyone else to get some of it too.

Isn't Gene on the committee now?  Let's just let him work his magic.  :)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32753 on: September 24, 2021, 02:09:37 AM »
Is this bizarro world? A four team playoff completely bones K-State and any legitimacy the Big 12 would ever have because it would be incredibly difficult for a Big 12 school to get in.

I hope like hell we get a 12 team or even 16 team playoff and they only delay it just to take the thing to the open market.

I assure you the SEC won't be bothered by how big the playoff is, they'll always get their bite of the apple first. We just hope there's enough of that apple left over for everyone else to get some of it too.

Isn't Gene on the committee now?  Let's just let him work his magic.  :)

It has to be a majority of the ADs' and University presidents to approve whatever the committee presents.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32754 on: September 24, 2021, 07:31:08 AM »
As long as there are auto-bids there should not be a limit on the number of teams from a conference. That's jmho imo
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32755 on: September 24, 2021, 08:53:17 AM »
Watching Kurtz’s videos about Big 12 realignment, and I already strongly regret the UCF and Cincy additions. We should have just added Hou/BYU to replace OU/UT. And then held pat until some more things shake out.

The Big Ten’s TV contracts expire in 2023. That means they’re going to be negotiating a new deal over the next year or so. I have to believe the topic of adding teams from either the ACC or Pac 12 is going to come up. If reports are to be believed, the ACC GOR will be too expensive to break, so the Pac 12 is the only realistic option for the Big Ten. I think the Bog Ten should add 7 teams from the Pac. That would give them a total of 21 teams… three divisions of 7 each. Play 6 games in your division plus two games against each of the other divisions. The three division winners plus one at-large make the Big Ten championship series. Who are the 7 teams? I imagine: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stan, Ore, Wash, and ASU.

Once that is done, the Big 12 would have the opportunity to pick from what is left. Utah and Col would make sense. If we can find a way to get rid of WVU, add Ariz in replacement. How does this 12-team league sound?

Hou, Tech, Bay, TCU
OSU, KSU, KU, ISU
BYU, Utah, Col, Ariz

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #32756 on: September 24, 2021, 09:03:37 AM »
I'm in favor of the conference to agree and conspire with each other to cheat our motherfucking asses off. Like for 2 years, three teams get money and aid (in every sense of the word) to get the best recruits possible. Then cycle to the next 3 teams for a couple years. Elevate all teams and maybe get a national champion once in a while. I've thought this through and it's bulletproof.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32757 on: September 24, 2021, 09:30:48 AM »
Nobody is expanding if playoffs remain at 4 at this point.  Also, New Big 12 still has a fantastic opportunity to make the 4-team playoff....I'd say just as good if not better than PAC 12 and ACC (with a lesser Clemson).  Finally, a 4-team playoff fucks the SEC hard.  They want more slots for guaranteed 2 teams with likelihood of more.  That is not happening at 4. 

People need to stop putting SEC on a pedestal.  Outside of Alabama, it's narrated perception that the rest of the conference is good.  Their 3rd best team right now is supposed to be Texas A&M who should have lost to shitty Colorado (who is 1-2 and got blanked by Minnesota 30-0). 

Once Saban retires, SEC is at risk of becoming just a competitive P5 conference vs the "best" that ESPN has used as a narrative over the last 15 years.  New Big 12 needs to keep scheduling P5 opponents in non-conf to prove their strength. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32758 on: September 24, 2021, 10:37:04 AM »

Whose goal is this? There isn't a single college athletic director in this country willing to give up the NCAA tournament money. The NCAA literally distributes a billion dollars a year from that tournament. I promise you there isn't one single goddamn team willing to breakaway for a 32 team division that the rest of the NCAA would miss for that tournament.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32759 on: September 24, 2021, 11:08:00 AM »

Whose goal is this? There isn't a single college athletic director in this country willing to give up the NCAA tournament money. The NCAA literally distributes a billion dollars a year from that tournament. I promise you there isn't one single goddamn team willing to breakaway for a 32 team division that the rest of the NCAA would miss for that tournament.
I agree the ADs are just chasing $ but i do wonder if this is ESPN's end game after the NFL has clearly made ESPN the bottom bitch with CBS, Fox and NBC all happier with their deals.  ESPN may realize they are not getting a bigger piece of the NFL pie anytime soon so they will "evolve" the SEC into a competitor they own completely. 

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32760 on: September 24, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »

When people talk about breaking away from the NCAA, I always assumed they mean football only. All the other sports would stay in their current conferences and in the NCAA.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32761 on: September 24, 2021, 12:24:02 PM »
A move to thwart ESPN’s first right of refusal on the CFPO.   The long game must be played on CFPO expansion to open it up to all bidders.   

While painful, it is necessary. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32762 on: September 24, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »
Why should there be preferential treatment or exclusionary practices at all? Just include every conference champion, and 2-6 at large.

The problem with college football is everyone wants to to what’s best for themselves not for the sport itself.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32763 on: September 24, 2021, 01:14:49 PM »
I think the main reason they are delaying it is due to ESPN has the contract to '25-26' and will wait so others can bid on the larger CFP. MO money, MO money!  :kstategrad:

A move to thwart ESPN’s first right of refusal on the CFPO.   The long game must be played on CFPO expansion to open it up to all bidders.   

Took the words right out of my mouth.  :cheers: :thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32764 on: September 24, 2021, 01:25:54 PM »
Why should there be preferential treatment or exclusionary practices at all? Just include every conference champion, and 2-6 at large.

The problem with college football is everyone wants to to what’s best for themselves not for the sport itself.

This is so rough ridin' true, and why 21st century conference realignment has given the finger to institutional and conventional thought; it's singularly driven by the generation of money via electronic media.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32765 on: September 24, 2021, 01:34:01 PM »

I agree the ADs are just chasing $ but i do wonder if this is ESPN's end game after the NFL has clearly made ESPN the bottom bitch with CBS, Fox and NBC all happier with their deals.  ESPN may realize they are not getting a bigger piece of the NFL pie anytime soon so they will "evolve" the SEC into a competitor they own completely.

This has changed with NFL's new contract, just signed a couple of months ago

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31088098/nfl-announces-tv-deals-espn-abc-nbc-cbs-fox-amazon

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32766 on: September 24, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »

When people talk about breaking away from the NCAA, I always assumed they mean football only. All the other sports would stay in their current conferences and in the NCAA.

Yea I thought this was a given
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32767 on: September 24, 2021, 02:08:34 PM »

I’ve got some bad news for you about just about everything in life.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32768 on: September 24, 2021, 02:18:59 PM »

I’ve got some bad news for you about just about everything in life.

Of course.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32769 on: September 24, 2021, 02:23:01 PM »

Thought provoking post and makes sense IMO. ESPN is also smart enough to know that elevating the SEC only, or a southern centric group of “elite” schools is foolhardy. Most of the country would tune out. They absolutely need the top 30 or so “big name” type programs in the fold from across the country.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32770 on: September 24, 2021, 02:40:44 PM »

In what world do you think the conferences of Ohio State, Clemson, USC, etc. would allow these schools to breakaway for football and take that revenue with them but then allow those same schools to come back and share the basketball revenue with them?

Duke's gonna be like, "sure Clemson, go do your own thing for football and make all the money you want without sharing with us or giving equal access to your championship, but yeah you can join us for the basketball tournament because you bring so much value to it!"

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32771 on: September 24, 2021, 03:19:29 PM »
As long as there are auto-bids there should not be a limit on the number of teams from a conference. That's jmho imo

Agree

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32772 on: September 24, 2021, 03:20:28 PM »

In what world do you think the conferences of Ohio State, Clemson, USC, etc. would allow these schools to breakaway for football and take that revenue with them but then allow those same schools to come back and share the basketball revenue with them?

Duke's gonna be like, "sure Clemson, go do your own thing for football and make all the money you want without sharing with us or giving equal access to your championship, but yeah you can join us for the basketball tournament because you bring so much value to it!"

Yeah, it has to be athletic department wide.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32773 on: September 24, 2021, 03:54:18 PM »
I think the main reason they are delaying it is due to ESPN has the contract to '25-26' and will wait so others can bid on the larger CFP. MO money, MO money!  :kstategrad:

Took the words right out of my mouth.  :cheers: :thumbs:
I Luked. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32774 on: September 24, 2021, 08:32:15 PM »

Crazy thing is the SEC came to power because Mike Slive got them all to stop snitching on each other & realize what was best for the conference was the best for all of them.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls