Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4065019 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32700 on: September 16, 2021, 04:28:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/1438595428715536384?s=20

lmao. should have read, "Big 12 executives, all giant morons to a man, are also wa....."

Exactly, I mean what are we even talking about here? Those schools are going to leave a conference that has USC, UCLA, and Oregon as the big brands for one whose biggest brands are Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Kansas because that conference will get a higher per school payout than the conference with USC? In what world is this even close to a possibility?
For what it's worth, Gene Taylor thinks we'll get about the same valuation from the 4 new additions to the Big 12 than we would if we have the 8 + OU & Texas.   :dunno:

Even if that’s true(it’s not) we would be splitting it 12 ways and not 10.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32701 on: September 16, 2021, 04:33:08 PM »
Kind of a grunch, and posted in wrong thread earlier…. I like the way you’re thinking ww

I feel like the current expansion is good, but a bit short-sighted. The long play should be to solidify the foothold out west. Grab Boise St w/ eyes on the Utahs and Colorados of the world. If  all goes well even the Arizona schools may jump on board, though I think they are more tied to Cali. If bringing in CSU types helps force their hands; do it.

I don’t think UCF, Cincy or WVU are here for the long haul anyway.

The long play is to end up with a conference that is anchored in the central plains and mountain region, extending into Texas. I also believe some of our former schools will tire of being on the outside looking in at their current conferences.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32702 on: September 16, 2021, 04:37:16 PM »

lmao. should have read, "Big 12 executives, all giant morons to a man, are also wa....."

Exactly, I mean what are we even talking about here? Those schools are going to leave a conference that has USC, UCLA, and Oregon as the big brands for one whose biggest brands are Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Kansas because that conference will get a higher per school payout than the conference with USC? In what world is this even close to a possibility?
For what it's worth, Gene Taylor thinks we'll get about the same valuation from the 4 new additions to the Big 12 than we would if we have the 8 + OU & Texas.   :dunno:

My question is this: is Gene a fool for thinking he won't have to drastically alter his budget after the Red River rogues leave in 2025?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32703 on: September 16, 2021, 05:23:47 PM »

My question is this: is Gene a fool for thinking he won't have to drastically alter his budget after the Red River rogues leave in 2025?

He won’t be around after 2025
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32704 on: September 16, 2021, 07:03:05 PM »
Kind of a grunch, and posted in wrong thread earlier…. I like the way you’re thinking ww

I feel like the current expansion is good, but a bit short-sighted. The long play should be to solidify the foothold out west. Grab Boise St w/ eyes on the Utahs and Colorados of the world. If  all goes well even the Arizona schools may jump on board, though I think they are more tied to Cali. If bringing in CSU types helps force their hands; do it.

The long play is to end up with a conference that is anchored in the central plains and mountain region, extending into Texas. I also believe some of our former schools will tire of being on the outside looking in at their current conferences.

When you're drowning and someone throws you a rescue ring you don't ignore the rescue ring in hopes that then someone will throw you a rope that might one day become a collector's item, accrue in value and make you a multi millionaire.

The schools we got were undoubtedly the best schools available now which means they will have higher value in 15 or so years when we go through this all over again. You don't forgo stability in hopes that the ugly duckling who doesn't want to leave the house will eventually become Gal Gadot.

Also I don't know how you are asserting that UCF, Cincinnati, and WVU aren't hear for the long haul. They don't have options now and they 8000% will be signing a grant of rights.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32705 on: September 16, 2021, 07:06:36 PM »

My guess is the world it's a possibility is one where the B10 takes the top tier of the PAC. Don't see it happening unless that domino falls first.

This was my thought as well.  In a world where the current Pac gets similar money to the Big12, their bigs have to give a lot of thought about calling their big 10 buddies with all the money.

You guys are right, I didn't think of this as a possibility. The only way it could happen is if USC and whatever other school refuses to sign a GOR. If that happens those mountain time zone schools would absolutely leave for the Big 12,-then that would leave the remaining Pac 12 schools needing to gobble up the MWC, yikes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32706 on: September 16, 2021, 07:42:59 PM »

Unless y'all are referring to comments I haven't heard, I took his comments as the conference believes the next contract will have a similar per school payout than they do now. This actually makes sense. There still hasn't been a major pro sports or college league who has seen a decrease in their media deal. It's possible that we might be around $30 million per year per school, but the Big 10 might be at $50 million. So he may very well be right but if you're really into the dick measuring contests, we won't compare in a flattering light.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32707 on: September 16, 2021, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32708 on: September 16, 2021, 09:53:50 PM »

Unless y'all are referring to comments I haven't heard, I took his comments as the conference believes the next contract will have a similar per school payout than they do now. This actually makes sense. There still hasn't been a major pro sports or college league who has seen a decrease in their media deal. It's possible that we might be around $30 million per year per school, but the Big 10 might be at $50 million. So he may very well be right but if you're really into the dick measuring contests, we won't compare in a flattering light.
There has to be diminishing returns at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32709 on: September 16, 2021, 09:55:39 PM »
I want to steal the fast growing mountain region from the PAC.

And accept nubb back into the fold. It’s pretty isn’t it?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32710 on: September 16, 2021, 10:02:05 PM »

Nu-Nu B12

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32711 on: September 16, 2021, 10:04:20 PM »

OG Big 8. So beautiful.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32712 on: September 16, 2021, 10:08:09 PM »

Super stud original B12. Rip

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32713 on: September 16, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »

Adios Nubb and CU

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32714 on: September 16, 2021, 10:15:02 PM »

Nu XII soon to die.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32715 on: September 16, 2021, 10:19:28 PM »

When you're drowning and someone throws you a rescue ring you don't ignore the rescue ring in hopes that then someone will throw you a rope that might one day become a collector's item, accrue in value and make you a multi millionaire.

The schools we got were undoubtedly the best schools available now which means they will have higher value in 15 or so years when we go through this all over again. You don't forgo stability in hopes that the ugly duckling who doesn't want to leave the house will eventually become Gal Gadot.

Also I don't know how you are asserting that UCF, Cincinnati, and WVU aren't hear for the long haul. They don't have options now and they 8000% will be signing a grant of rights.

Yes. Not saying you don’t make the moves we did. Also hopeful because of rumors b12 may not be done forever.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32716 on: September 16, 2021, 10:20:42 PM »
Why I like locking up the mountains…

Online tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32717 on: September 16, 2021, 11:06:28 PM »

Great maps, nicname.  This is the one I want too.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32718 on: September 16, 2021, 11:50:38 PM »
That population growth doesn't mean crap if they don't watch college football.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32719 on: September 17, 2021, 06:50:06 AM »

Why’s Nevada in this?

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32720 on: September 17, 2021, 06:55:37 AM »

Why’s Nevada in this?

Though I think I this scenario I’d be ok with UNR as a possibility if we could boot Baylor to the Sun Belt

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32721 on: September 17, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »
This is a great summary of media rights deals.

https://tvrev.com/sports-media-rights-current-tv-deals-and-whats-on-the-horizon/

This was a really good read.  I guess it never clicked with my that the Pac and big 10 both have deal expiring before ours.  That will make for some interesting strategy decisions in a lot of board rooms.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32722 on: September 17, 2021, 08:56:57 AM »
If/when the PAC implodes, especially before the B12 signs a new GOR, there are a crazy amount of possibilities for a new nu logo B12.

Now that could be fun. I might map out my dreamy scenario there.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32723 on: September 17, 2021, 08:58:43 AM »

Why’s Nevada in this?

Though I think I this scenario I’d be ok with UNR as a possibility if we could boot Baylor to the Sun Belt
Added then w/ nubb

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32724 on: September 17, 2021, 11:37:11 AM »

Why’s Nevada in this?

Added then w/ nubb

Oh I see it now, my maths weren’t working.