Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4166064 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32050 on: August 19, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
So that Gswaim guy just blocks everyone who counters him, huh?

He's in the entertainment business, and doesn't suffer the intrusion of anything that will detract from that business.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32051 on: August 19, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »
Yep, I'm not nearly as concerned with what happens now as I was the last time around.

Also, for the Nth time... Baylor and TCU are never going to be in another power conference not named the Big XII. They bring next to nothing to the table. I do not understand these rumors at all where they get into the Pac or SEC. Who actually believes that crap?

Baylor is very influential in TX, you see their medical centers across the state.  Their alums are prominent in the business in political community.  They just won a national championship in men's BB, and excel in many other sports.  Would not underestimate their ability to land on their feet, they have powerful advocates and good selling points.  In 10 years, no one will remember Art Briles and the MCMW culture that was at Baylor.  The religious affiliation hurts, but am not sure it's fatal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32052 on: August 19, 2021, 07:12:22 PM »
Yep, I'm not nearly as concerned with what happens now as I was the last time around.

Also, for the Nth time... Baylor and TCU are never going to be in another power conference not named the Big XII. They bring next to nothing to the table. I do not understand these rumors at all where they get into the Pac or SEC. Who actually believes that crap?

Baylor is very influential in TX, you see their medical centers across the state.  Their alums are prominent in the business in political community.  They just won a national championship in men's BB, and excel in many other sports.  Would not underestimate their ability to land on their feet, they have powerful advocates and good selling points.  In 10 years, no one will remember Art Briles and the MCMW culture that was at Baylor.  The religious affiliation hurts, but am not sure it's fatal.

Baylor is powerful in Texas, for sure, but Houston is more so, and more importantly, nobody outside the state gives a flying eff about their hospitals or influential republicans in their state senate.

I do think they have significantly more value to any conference than TCU, like by far. No one pays attention to TCU but their thirst and ridiculous talking points have rivaled that of KU. Their incessant "we're not that type of religious school" is silly. They had some dude on Kurtz's show last week who said, and I crap you not, said they are somewhat of a west coast school because of the bowl games they played in there and they have a lot of students from California and alumni who live there and it started when they played in the Rose Bowl. Their SB Nation site wrote a TCU to the.SEC? column based on a Swaim tweet.

It's those fuckers who have it worse than anyone.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #32053 on: August 19, 2021, 10:33:22 PM »
I will live stream me eating 10 whole bananas(skin on) if Baylor gets a PAC invite over Kstate, it just won't happen due to their religious nature(see BYU). 

I will wager up to 3 whole bananas (skin on) with anyone who thinks Baylor will get a SEC invite over the cats.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32054 on: August 20, 2021, 12:36:30 AM »
We need to start talking about adding Houston and BYU. There's no doubt their tv numbers increase with a Big12 affiliation.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32055 on: August 20, 2021, 01:44:26 AM »
There's nothing to talk about, when it comes to Houston anyway. If we expand they're the first choice. If WVU stays in I can't see BYU getting an invite. I don't know if they would provide much more value than UCF, Cincinnati, or Memphis.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #32057 on: August 20, 2021, 09:06:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/mellinger/status/1428716824603074563

eff

yeah, this isn't great. The Big 12 has pretty much already been relegated to the lower tier, it just isn't official yet. This does prob help prolong until the contracts run out. At least we may get to keep getting that sweet Big 12 cash for a few more years.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32058 on: August 20, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »
There's nothing to talk about, when it comes to Houston anyway. If we expand they're the first choice. If WVU stays in I can't see BYU getting an invite. I don't know if they would provide much more value than UCF, Cincinnati, or Memphis.

BYU is absolutely more valuable than any of those teams. They have an extremely large fanbase and a national brand, despite their weird religious stuff.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32059 on: August 20, 2021, 10:41:06 AM »
A LOT could happen in 4 years to make things less completely dog crap as they seem right now for the Big 12. Bowlsby is not a stupid person, and neither is his stuff or the AD's and Presidents.  We'll very likely end up with our current group of 8 orphans and add (or join) some AAC schools and others.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32060 on: August 20, 2021, 10:42:26 AM »
I should add that in my expert opinion, this alliance thing means that those three conferences are not attracted to ANY of our poor orphan asses.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32061 on: August 20, 2021, 10:45:04 AM »
I should add that in my expert opinion, this alliance thing means that those three conferences are not attracted to ANY of our poor orphan asses.
Cool. SEC here we come!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32062 on: August 20, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
http://www.Big12Orphans.com is not taken.  Let's just keep this idea inside of these bbs walls, but we could be sitting on a gold mine.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32063 on: August 20, 2021, 10:53:02 AM »

BYU is absolutely more valuable than any of those teams. They have an extremely large fanbase and a national brand, despite their weird religious stuff.

They don't provide enough value to make putting up with their crap worth it.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32064 on: August 20, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »

They definitely do when your conference has 8 schools that nobody wants and the alternatives are gross city schools like Memphis.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32065 on: August 20, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »
What crap exactly do you put up with in regards to BYU?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32066 on: August 20, 2021, 12:22:08 PM »

We’re going to have to put up with someone’s crap if we’re going to survive this in a major-ish conference

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32067 on: August 20, 2021, 12:27:27 PM »

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32068 on: August 20, 2021, 12:37:05 PM »
Wondering overall if this sh1tshow continues what this means for a college town like MHK or Stillwater.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #32069 on: August 20, 2021, 12:40:13 PM »
Well it means we can kiss the dream of a Red Lobster goodbye, that’s for sure.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32070 on: August 20, 2021, 12:53:23 PM »

We just need them for football and basketball.  They can keep the other sports and do whatever they want.  Sundays shouldn't be a problem with these two sports.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:58:07 PM by Katpappy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32071 on: August 20, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »

Athletically, it's just that they won't play on Sundays. Otherwise, it's just being associated with a theocratic university. We already have Baylor and that is embarrassing enough.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32072 on: August 20, 2021, 01:40:15 PM »

Athletically, it's just that they won't play on Sundays. Otherwise, it's just being associated with a theocratic university. We already have Baylor and that is embarrassing enough.

That isn't true, their honor code,, still, in 2021 discriminates against the lgbtq community. However, I'm just going to sit that aside, we don't even need to discuss that.

The biggest pain in the ass is that they are in Provo, Utah. If you are adding teams and your budget is being cut, you can't have a conference with teams in Orlando, Morgantown, Houston, and Provo, that's insanity, football isn't the only sport that's played, the travel costs would be ridiculous.

Yes, BYU is very popular with Mormons, however the level of their popularity outside of the state of Utah is anecdotal. Their TV numbers aren't any better than the good schools in the AAC. Their enrollment and alumni base is in fact smaller than all those other schools except Memphis and Memphis' enrollment is similar to ours.

Did you know BYU also has their own network for their sports? It's called BYUtv and it's carriage is microscopic, you ever here of it?

If we expanded west and BYU modified their honor code I'd be happy to take them, like if we are going to go 16 instead of 12. But if we're going 12 it makes no sense to add them and no, they don't have more value than Cincinnati, Houston, or UCF. Memphis maybe, but not much. Memphis also gets the conference in a good recruiting area.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32073 on: August 20, 2021, 01:42:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/mellinger/status/1428716824603074563

eff

This won't mean anything at the end of the day.

Nothing

It really doesn't.
I hope it happens and the three conferences come out and say this means no expansion. Then we can go about our business and start building our conference and media deal for 2025.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32074 on: August 20, 2021, 01:50:12 PM »

That isn't true, their honor code,, still, in 2021 discriminates against the lgbtq community. However, I'm just going to sit that aside, we don't even need to discuss that.

The biggest pain in the ass is that they are in Provo, Utah. If you are adding teams and your budget is being cut, you can't have a conference with teams in Orlando, Morgantown, Houston, and Provo, that's insanity, football isn't the only sport that's played, the travel costs would be ridiculous.

Yes, BYU is very popular with Mormons, however the level of their popularity outside of the state of Utah is anecdotal. Their TV numbers aren't any better than the good schools in the AAC. Their enrollment and alumni base is in fact smaller than all those other schools except Memphis and Memphis' enrollment is similar to ours.

Did you know BYU also has their own network for their sports? It's called BYUtv and it's carriage is microscopic, you ever here of it?

If we expanded west and BYU modified their honor code I'd be happy to take them, like if we are going to go 16 instead of 12. But if we're going 12 it makes no sense to add them and no, they don't have more value than Cincinnati, Houston, or UCF. Memphis maybe, but not much. Memphis also gets the conference in a good recruiting area.

Care to share where you got your tv numbers? Everything I see has BYU quite a bit ahead of the AAC teams and a couple sites stated they averaged nearly 2 million/ game when they played P5 teams. Alot of their games were against bad teams and they still have good numbers. Not saying you're wrong, would just like to see actual numbers.