Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069203 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32000 on: August 14, 2021, 06:35:14 PM »
So, other P5 conferences have pretty left the Big 12 for dead?  Other 7 teams grasping for lifelines?  I don't know about you, but at some point there will be a serious analysis of AAC vs Mountain West as a destination.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32001 on: August 14, 2021, 11:05:37 PM »
Yeah if the theory is strength in numbers I don’t see why either “side” would completely leave out a P5.
They won't be.
I thought MIR already covered it, but my impression was that the NCAA couldn’t simply revoke status as an autonomous group based on the fact your conference doesn’t include any blue bloods.

They can't and I posted two different articles about it but that won't change people from deluding themselves into thinking that little ol' K-State will always get screwed.
LOL at the idea that the NCAA is going to have to allow a busted conference auto bid status.  Keep rough ridin that chicken.

Do you know who the NCAA is and who makes those decisions and how they are made?

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32002 on: August 14, 2021, 11:06:32 PM »
Yeah if the theory is strength in numbers I don’t see why either “side” would completely leave out a P5.
They won't be.
I thought MIR already covered it, but my impression was that the NCAA couldn’t simply revoke status as an autonomous group based on the fact your conference doesn’t include any blue bloods.

They can't and I posted two different articles about it but that won't change people from deluding themselves into thinking that little ol' K-State will always get screwed.
LOL at the idea that the NCAA is going to have to allow a busted conference auto bid status.  Keep rough ridin that chicken.

You have no idea what an autonomy conference means, do you?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32003 on: August 15, 2021, 08:54:57 AM »
Nothing previously agreed to by anyone means anything if the PAC12, big 10, ACC, and SEC come to an agreement on how they want the world to work.

Offline Chico

• I used to be big here.
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32004 on: August 15, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »
The SEC is a few schools away from being able to crown a national champion with its own 12 team playoff. If you're the president of a top big 10 or ACC school, would you rather get on the boat with Kevin Warren or Greg Sankey?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32005 on: August 15, 2021, 01:44:13 PM »
The SEC is a few schools away from being able to crown a national champion with its own 12 team playoff. If you're the president of a top big 10 or ACC school, would you rather get on the boat with Kevin Warren or Greg Sankey?

Yay, more unwarranted Kevin Warren slander.

If the SEC wanted to name their own "national champion" I couldn't imagine giving two fucks if you're in the other 9 conferences.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32006 on: August 15, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
Nothing previously agreed to by anyone means anything if the PAC12, big 10, ACC, and SEC come to an agreement on how they want the world to work.
This is the correct answer.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32007 on: August 15, 2021, 03:24:11 PM »

Yay, more unwarranted Kevin Warren slander.

If the SEC wanted to name their own "national champion" I couldn't imagine giving two fucks if you're in the other 9 conferences.

Yep, the rest of the country wouldn’t give two shits about it. I can’t believe ESPN could be stupid enough to believe otherwise. That’s even if they want to bring the ACC along as well.

I do think we’d all enjoy the spectacle of a cfb world that is basically the south and espn vs the rest of cfb as two competing entities. Of course, we’d want the cats as part of it, and damn sure not w/ ESPN and the south.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Chico

• I used to be big here.
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32008 on: August 15, 2021, 07:57:57 PM »
A "league" that breaks off from the NCAA and the other ~100 schools would be national. Heck let's call it a Premier League minus the relegation. Too many people are only looking at what's right in front of them instead of what's actually going on.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32009 on: August 15, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »
That's a really bad comparison, comically so. The Premier League is the most popular sports league in the history of the world. College football is already highly regionalized, making it more so isn't to anyone's benefit. Look at their biggest sponsors of their network only programming now, it's Regions Bank, Zaxbys, Chick fil A, and Walk-ons. As popular as the SEC is, it's triple dumb to think that can be a national sport excluding the Atlantic coast, Midwest, Plains, and Western states.

Offline Chico

• I used to be big here.
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32010 on: August 15, 2021, 10:15:34 PM »
That's a really bad comparison, comically so. The Premier League is the most popular sports league in the history of the world. College football is already highly regionalized, making it more so isn't to anyone's benefit. Look at their biggest sponsors of their network only programming now, it's Regions Bank, Zaxbys, Chick fil A, and Walk-ons. As popular as the SEC is, it's triple dumb to think that can be a national sport excluding the Atlantic coast, Midwest, Plains, and Western states.

There's going to be a new tier above FBS that includes the new SEC + schools that rhyme with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Clemson, UNC, Florida State, and Notre Dame.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:21:58 PM by Chico »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32011 on: August 15, 2021, 11:28:40 PM »

There's going to be a new tier above FBS that includes the new SEC + schools that rhyme with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Clemson, UNC, Florida State, and Notre Dame.

Cool, that's not what you said in the first place. You very well may be right. I'll worry about it if/when It ever happens. Actually, no, I won't worry about it at all. Fans of Cincinnati, Boise, Houston, UCF, SMU, BYU, etc seem to be fine and I will too.

Most college football programs, including K-State, have spent exactly 0 days as college football elite, I'm certainly not going to freak out about some far flung proposal now. Even when we were national contenders we were interlopers anyway, we've never been elite. Who cares?

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32012 on: August 16, 2021, 04:23:00 AM »
any hope we had of having years like 2012 are significantly lower now. it only happens 1/10 years for schools like ksu but it was fun to have that hope. i'll just keep watching casually like the 9/10 years we don't contend.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32013 on: August 16, 2021, 06:49:52 AM »
I don't think K-State's situation with respect to winning a national championship is much different than it ever was. Essentially, it always requires (1) going undefeated and (2) beating a team of 4-5 star recruits with a team of 2-3 star recruits.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32014 on: August 16, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »
I don't think K-State's situation with respect to winning a national championship is much different than it ever was. Essentially, it always requires (1) going undefeated and (2) beating a team of 4-5 star recruits with a team of 2-3 star recruits.

For now... if we find ourselves in a G5 then we run the risk of 2017 UCF who ran the tables and was still left out.

Although the argument could be made that it eventually worked out for them.
https://www.bradenton.com/sports/article217396010.html

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32015 on: August 16, 2021, 09:22:30 AM »

For now... if we find ourselves in a G5 then we run the risk of 2017 UCF who ran the tables and was still left out.

Right. Assuming expanded playoff, though, I think a "legit looking" undefeated G5 gets in.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #32016 on: August 16, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »

Aside from losing the money, this scenario sounds a lot more fun than going 5-6 and getting crap kicked most weekends.  :dunno:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32017 on: August 16, 2021, 10:20:02 AM »

Aside from losing the money, this scenario sounds a lot more fun than going 5-6 and getting crap kicked most weekends.  :dunno:

Solid point, and one that I don't really disagree with.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #32018 on: August 16, 2021, 10:33:44 AM »
I worry a little bit that it will be like the early to mid 90's (when I was a little cat) and it will be really hard to watch cats games again.

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32019 on: August 16, 2021, 10:38:59 AM »
K-State's shot of ever winning a National Title in football went out the door once the playoffs were introduced. There's no way we're ever winning 2-3 games in a row vs blue blood programs.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32020 on: August 16, 2021, 10:42:04 AM »
K-State's shot of ever winning a National Title in football went out the door once the playoffs were introduced. There's no way we're ever winning 2-3 games in a row vs blue blood programs.

Why not? We've had teams that were good enough to do it before.

I worry a little bit that it will be like the early to mid 90's (when I was a little cat) and it will be really hard to watch cats games again.

I don't see that happening. With all the TV contracts and internet streaming, I think we'll be able to watch a football games just about anywhere. You and I are similar in age, so I do know what you're talking about. I regularly listened to the games on the radio with my father as he made the rounds with the tractor. However, back then a majority of the football games were simply untelevised. That's not the case in today's modern world.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32021 on: August 16, 2021, 10:44:02 AM »
Espn+ (i know the devil), has literally 100's of games available to stream.  There are a ton of FCS vs FCS football games available.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32022 on: August 16, 2021, 10:46:34 AM »
Espn+ (i know the devil), has literally 100's of games available to stream.  There are a ton of FCS vs FCS football games available.

yeah I have no doubt I'll be able to watch the cats on SOME service that is better than kstatehd.tv

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32023 on: August 16, 2021, 10:50:47 AM »

Why not? We've had teams that were good enough to do it before.

I don't see that happening. With all the TV contracts and internet streaming, I think we'll be able to watch a football games just about anywhere. You and I are similar in age, so I do know what you're talking about. I regularly listened to the games on the radio with my father as he made the rounds with the tractor. However, back then a majority of the football games were simply untelevised. That's not the case in today's modern world.
Our best teams lost all of their postseason games. Even when we have our dream seasons, we crap the bed against prime competition.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #32024 on: August 16, 2021, 11:08:52 AM »

yeah I have no doubt I'll be able to watch the cats on SOME service that is better than kstatehd.tv

maybe he means they will just be hard to watch.  :party:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:53:44 AM by Stupid Fitz »