Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068458 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31175 on: July 26, 2021, 10:20:42 AM »
Klieman and oscar were both pretty boss in their respective good-enough conferences.  Why can't they do that again? 

I bet ND football was insanely fun as a fan back then. 

Same with whatevs stupid valley team oscar used to coach.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31176 on: July 26, 2021, 10:22:12 AM »
I don't understand the appeal for 8 plus 2-4 G5.  Maybe I'm alone, but a conference game against Houston, Cinci, or UCF does not put me at the edge of my seat.  I'm hoping this is not option #1 when we look at the state of affairs post-2025.
Nobody considers this the best option.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31177 on: July 26, 2021, 10:22:53 AM »
This is from The Athletic's Cincy guy.  I pulled some of the relevant quotes.  There is also so stuff in there about a WVU\Cincy move to ACC as a scenario.

https://theathletic.com/2729547/2021/07/26/williams-cincinnati-commits-to-proactive-approach-as-conference-realignment-rides-again/?source=emp_shared_article

...sources at the university telling The Athletic that Cincinnati has been proactive and assertive in regards to realignment since news broke last week and is committed to securing the program’s best interests.

For the moment, Cincinnati is a peripheral character in this farcical, subversive realignment script, although that could change in a hurry. While Texas and Oklahoma stir up controversy as they move to abandon the Big 12, the Bearcats stand to have multiple paths forward once the dust begins to settle. They, along with other top-tier Group of 5 programs, could join the eight jilted Big 12 leftovers in the conference’s efforts to retain its autonomous status, humbly and belatedly atoning for shirking expansion back in 2016.

A zombie Big 12 that elicits $15-20 million annually in television money will continue to be atmospheres removed from the upper-echelon programs. Yet it’s also more than double what UC is bringing in, with largely maximized resources.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31178 on: July 26, 2021, 10:24:39 AM »
I don't understand the appeal for 8 plus 2-4 G5.  Maybe I'm alone, but a conference game against Houston, Cinci, or UCF does not put me at the edge of my seat.  I'm hoping this is not option #1 when we look at the state of affairs post-2025.
Nobody considers this the best option.

It is not the best option but is the most likely one.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31179 on: July 26, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
I don't think a "no comment" in this situation is odd at all. Any comment at this point should be dumb and generic so wgaf
I kinda like the moxie Okie St's pres brought. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31180 on: July 26, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #31181 on: July 26, 2021, 10:37:03 AM »
New Big 12:

Baylor
Colorado State
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
North Dakota St
Oklahoma St
TCU
Texas Tech
Utah State
West Virginia

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31182 on: July 26, 2021, 10:48:48 AM »
so who belongs in the CFB Super League that will inevitably form in the next 5 years?
Bama
Clemson
OU
tOSU
Florida
UGA
USC
Oregon
AtM
Texas
LSU
Notre Dame

Maybe:
Wisconsin
Penn State
Michigan
Washington
BYU
Auburn
Tennessee
Iowa?

probably missing a few and/or put some in the wrong spots.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31183 on: July 26, 2021, 10:57:00 AM »
The left behind schools should leave the NCAA and start paying players market value. We would get all of the best recruits and have the best college football league in America for a few years until the SEC does the same.

Online wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31184 on: July 26, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
so who belongs in the CFB Super League that will inevitably form in the next 5 years?
Bama
Clemson
OU
tOSU
Florida
UGA
USC
Oregon
AtM
Texas
LSU
Notre Dame

Maybe:
Wisconsin
Penn State
Michigan
Washington
BYU
Auburn
Tennessee
Iowa?

University of Miami (FL) and probably florida state
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31185 on: July 26, 2021, 11:09:33 AM »

I don't think a "no comment" in this situation is odd at all. Any comment at this point should be dumb and generic so wgaf
I kinda like the moxie Okie St's pres brought.

It seemed kinda sad and losery to me but like I said nothing they say matters

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31186 on: July 26, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »
The left behind schools should leave the NCAA and start paying players market value. We would get all of the best recruits and have the best college football league in America for a few years until the SEC does the same.
I sincerely hope this is being discussed as an option.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31187 on: July 26, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
How would we pay players market value?

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31188 on: July 26, 2021, 11:56:38 AM »
Bama
Clemson
OU
tOSU
Florida
UGA
USC
Oregon
AtM
Texas
LSU
Notre Dame

Maybe:
Wisconsin
Penn State
Michigan
Washington
BYU
Auburn
Tennessee
Iowa?

I'd prefer this as I stated earlier for a multitude of reasons, they can all go eff themselves and realize their money won't be as big as they though, literally no one outside their fan bases will care about it, no matter how hard they push for it, what drove CFB was the rivalries, the upsets, the ups and downs, not top teams doing the same crap over and over, that's why the last few playoff viewership tanked, no one wants to watch clemson-bama for the 4-5th straight time. It's great for those schools, horrible for everyone else, so let em do it, who cares, it'll make the "everyone else" be able to go forward under a more "the way it used to be" model and less $$ driven. Super league will continue to bleed money until they realize how unsustainable it all is and collapse on itself, and I'll enjoy it so, so much.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31189 on: July 26, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »
How would we pay players market value?

It would be the value for our market, which would still be a whole lot more than an athlete could get playing anywhere else. Plus, now that OU and Texas are gone, the remaining schools could even be somewhat competitive with each other.

Offline Hullabaloo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31190 on: July 26, 2021, 12:03:26 PM »
If the national super conference is the plan, shouldn't there be alot of concern from the Vanderbilt's and Kentucky's and South Carolina's and Missouri's too? Shouldn't they be talking about what conference they're gonna land in?  Or are they going to somehow be able to ride coat tails to the top?

Online wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31191 on: July 26, 2021, 12:04:01 PM »
If the national super conference is the plan, shouldn't there be alot of concern from the Vanderbilt's and Kentucky's and South Carolina's and Missouri's too? Shouldn't they be talking about what conference they're gonna land in?  Or are they going to somehow be able to ride coat tails to the top?
They just don't know it yet.

*Kentucky will make the super mega basketball league though
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31192 on: July 26, 2021, 12:05:27 PM »

Can a conference not renew with a school? Like of the SEC wanted to drop a school could they just kick them out?

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31193 on: July 26, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »

Can a conference not renew with a school? Like of the SEC wanted to drop a school could they just kick them out?

not an expert, but when these schools tell the NCAA to kick rocks and form a completely new collegiate athletic leauge, I'd imagine they can pretty much do whatever they want and SC, Mizzou, etc won't be able to do a thing about it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31194 on: July 26, 2021, 12:10:44 PM »

IMO all the major teams would leave for football to form the super league. Maybe keep the SEC for other sports.

but you also need to consider that they like having plenty of easy games. you have a super league you're ending up with like a 3-8 Georgia pretty regularly without the gimmes they currently get.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31195 on: July 26, 2021, 12:11:23 PM »
Bama
Clemson
OU
tOSU
Florida
UGA
USC
Oregon
AtM
Texas
LSU
Notre Dame

Maybe:
Wisconsin
Penn State
Michigan
Washington
BYU
Auburn
Tennessee
Iowa?

I'd prefer this as I stated earlier for a multitude of reasons, they can all go eff themselves and realize their money won't be as big as they though, literally no one outside their fan bases will care about it, no matter how hard they push for it, what drove CFB was the rivalries, the upsets, the ups and downs, not top teams doing the same crap over and over, that's why the last few playoff viewership tanked, no one wants to watch clemson-bama for the 4-5th straight time. It's great for those schools, horrible for everyone else, so let em do it, who cares, it'll make the "everyone else" be able to go forward under a more "the way it used to be" model and less $$ driven. Super league will continue to bleed money until they realize how unsustainable it all is and collapse on itself, and I'll enjoy it so, so much.

my thoughts exactly. I think it'll be mildly successful but no one is going to get 80 mil/year like they all will want.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31196 on: July 26, 2021, 12:11:51 PM »
Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Why/how would the remaining 8 schools stick together? When OU and UT leave, and our existing TV contract is up, we won't be able to command the money anymore.

I guess we don't HAVE to leave, but we'll drop to G5 money and TV deals either way.

Because the Big 12 has autonomy status. And whatever the new Big 12 looks like would definitely have a better media deal than either the aac or mwc, combined.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31197 on: July 26, 2021, 12:12:03 PM »
We have a massive loser of an AD. Personally, I'm glad he hasn't made any public statements because you know they would sound super desperate and small timey.

Then again, he's not even verified on Twitter so no one will even notice if he does.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31198 on: July 26, 2021, 12:16:32 PM »

In 1994 you would have thought the same thing about games against tech, baylor, tcu, and wvu .

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31199 on: July 26, 2021, 12:20:02 PM »

In 1994 you would have thought the same thing about games against tech, baylor, tcu, and wvu .

I mean I'm definitely less hyped about those games than NU, CU, MU, or OU