Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4064768 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31226 on: July 26, 2021, 02:45:40 PM »
If KU and K-State are in a P5 conference but not the same one, I would be ok with that. 

WNK's dream future schedule if this happened and there was a major shakeup:

Preseason (P5 allowed to only play P5 because it brings in more money):
KU (this game is played every year)
Nebraska (this opponent changes)
WVU (this opponent changes)

Season
Iowa State
Arizona State
Arizona
TTech
Ok State
CU
Utah
Oregon (swaps with Oregon St. every 2 years)
Washington (swaps with Wash St. every 2 years)
UCLA (swaps with USC ever 2 years)
Stanford (swaps with CAL every 2 years)

Conference Championship

So this would be 14 games a season and 15 if you include conference championship.  If $$ is what they want, extend the season and make every game P5 vs P5.  If we eventually get to a 16 team playoff, we would be looking at 4 more weeks for the championship teams.  Most games in a season a team could play would be 19.  They seem to want to get closer to NFL due to $$, so make it happen.

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31228 on: July 26, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/Ten12Podcast/status/1419733185349529605?s=20

Oh really OU and UT leaving is bad for the remaining 8? Thanks podcast analyst guy

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #31229 on: July 26, 2021, 02:53:59 PM »
75 percent vote is required to dissolve conference.  So as long as 3 schools want the big 12 to exist, it will exist

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31230 on: July 26, 2021, 03:01:27 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-oklahoma-announce-intent-to-leave-big-12-but-plan-to-honor-their-existing-agreements/

Baylor: AAC
Iowa State: big 10
Kansas: big 10
K-State: MWC
Ok-State: Pac-12
TCU: Pac-12  :lol:
Texas Tech: AAC
WVU: ACC

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31233 on: July 26, 2021, 03:26:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/MattHayesCFB/status/1419693456365064194

They will play in 2022 and do everything in their power to not pay a dime in exit fees.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31234 on: July 26, 2021, 03:29:23 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31235 on: July 26, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »
I just hope we’re patient for a few months to see what the PAC does. I don’t want to sign up with multiple AAC schools, then have to try to untangle that to try to align with Washington St, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St & Utah.

The Pac 12 have to get their situation sorted before the Big 12 does. Their media deal is up first. In theory the Big 12 doesn't need to do a damn thing until the fall of 2023 at the earliest.

By when do Pac schools have to decide if they’re in it together going forward? Ou/ut gave way more notice than needed, but I think I saw it was 18 months for us. So maybe by end of 2021 that a Pac school would have to tell the others they’re not necessarily in for whatever media deal the status quo conference is trying to make?

Ideally, Pac schools are talking internally that they’re not looking to leave cross-country for greener pastures, but that they want their existing group to make big moves so they can collectively dictate a better deal for all.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31236 on: July 26, 2021, 03:34:45 PM »
Ouch: https://sports.yahoo.com/predicting-where-rest-big-12-110057428.html
KU: AAC
KSU: AAC
BAYLOR: AAC
TECH: AAC
TCU: PAC-12
OSU: AAC
ISU: big 10

I kinda forgot how bad most of the media is at this.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31237 on: July 26, 2021, 03:45:53 PM »
this is all dumb and I hate it

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31238 on: July 26, 2021, 04:10:22 PM »
I had a fairly good idea who was in both the AAC and MWC but went ahead and looked this morning to confirm.  I have been drinking ever since.. :cry: :cry: :flush: :cry: :cry:.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31239 on: July 26, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »
Boner warning

I'll hold out for this wet dream.

Same, though I’d rather ISU go to the Big10 and KU replace them. Would be a great time to be a cat fan either way.

I wouldn't be unhappy with this deal.  Would be nicer if we have all eight of Bix XII teams with two Pac teams for a twenty team conference.

WVU just doesn't make sense at all, geographically especially, to be in the PAC 12/16/18.

Baylor can go die a slow and painful death in the Sun Belt.

TCU... sorry. Hope you can make it but you'll have to understand that a private religious university with under 10,000 enrollment just doesn't hold much appeal, even if you're in Dallas/Fort Worth.

KU... I don't see the big 10 coming for them. Their basketball program makes a decent amount of money, but football is what's driving this. The KU football program is, without a doubt, the worst thing to ever step onto the field. Had they played Texas last year, they would've been the first P5 program in history to lose 100 games in a decade. Basketball TV sets just won't be enough to entice the big 10 to bring on KU, so I'm not sure what happens to them. I hope we're able to continue to play them every year though.

Tech/OSU/K-State/Flood Aggie... this is where the real questions lie. I'd like for these 4 to stay together, and the previously quoted Pac conference would make for a solid division of similar sized schools/budgets and travel requirements. I also think that kind of a division would bring some decent revenue covering two time zones and consistent programs. But hey, I'm not making the decisions. All 4 could end up on the outside looking in.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31240 on: July 26, 2021, 04:13:36 PM »
75 percent vote is required to dissolve conference.  So as long as 3 schools want the big 12 to exist, it will exist

Baylor and TCU have everything to lose and nothing to gain if the Big XII dissolves. Until WVU finds a solid place to land, there's your 3, regardless if the remaining members figure it out.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31241 on: July 26, 2021, 04:16:10 PM »
KU: AAC
KSU: AAC
BAYLOR: AAC
TECH: AAC
TCU: PAC-12
OSU: AAC
ISU: big 10

I will eat my holy hat if ISU gets into the big 10 but KU doesn't.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31242 on: July 26, 2021, 04:26:06 PM »
Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Why/how would the remaining 8 schools stick together? When OU and UT leave, and our existing TV contract is up, we won't be able to command the money anymore.

I guess we don't HAVE to leave, but we'll drop to G5 money and TV deals either way.

Because the Big 12 has autonomy status. And whatever the new Big 12 looks like would definitely have a better media deal than either the aac or mwc, combined.

What is autonomy status and who controls it?  I would think it can be snatched away with our only top tier schools leaving.

The NCAA controls it, and it isn't going away, however it won't stop the usual trolls, alarmists, conspiracy theorists, and dramatists from acting like the NCAA will meet tomorrow just to screw the Big 12.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

That article is 7 years old. At any rate our Revenue is about to take a 25 million dollar annual haircut.

Why would the article need to be newer, it's established law in college athletics? Do we need a current article explaining 12 men's basketball scholarships?

Also why did you bring up what you think our revenue is going to be? You asked about what autonomy is, and I showed you apparently that isn't enough to stop the panic so we're going to talk about projected revenue. Well, the initial point was to show the two reasons why it's ridiculous to think the Big 12 schools would just join the aac. I gave you your two reasons, autonomy and the Big 12s significantly higher media rights payout.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31243 on: July 26, 2021, 04:28:22 PM »
What are the ways the conference can eff ou/ut in games, like with ref cheating and stuff, for the next few years?

They have 2021 to mess with them, neither of those teams will play a down of 2022 football in the league.

One can only hope

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31244 on: July 26, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/Ten12Podcast/status/1419733185349529605?s=20

Oh really OU and UT leaving is bad for the remaining 8? Thanks podcast analyst guy

They also took that passage completely out of context.
1. That exact scenario is why there's a GOR, to redistribute that money if someone leaves.
2. IF the media partners take all that money away while giving it to the SEC, which would entail tearing up the contract they have with the conference even before said contract pays out. My guess is that the media partners would face a massive lawsuit from the existing conference and the media partners would have to prove they didn't collude with the SEC on this.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31245 on: July 26, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »
Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Why/how would the remaining 8 schools stick together? When OU and UT leave, and our existing TV contract is up, we won't be able to command the money anymore.

I guess we don't HAVE to leave, but we'll drop to G5 money and TV deals either way.

Because the Big 12 has autonomy status. And whatever the new Big 12 looks like would definitely have a better media deal than either the aac or mwc, combined.

What is autonomy status and who controls it?  I would think it can be snatched away with our only top tier schools leaving.

The NCAA controls it, and it isn't going away, however it won't stop the usual trolls, alarmists, conspiracy theorists, and dramatists from acting like the NCAA will meet tomorrow just to screw the Big 12.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

That article is 7 years old. At any rate our Revenue is about to take a 25 million dollar annual haircut.

Why would the article need to be newer, it's established law in college athletics? Do we need a current article explaining 12 men's basketball scholarships?

Also why did you bring up what you think our revenue is going to be? You asked about what autonomy is, and I showed you apparently that isn't enough to stop the panic so we're going to talk about projected revenue. Well, the initial point was to show the two reasons why it's ridiculous to think the Big 12 schools would just join the aac. I gave you your two reasons, autonomy and the Big 12s significantly higher media rights payout.

since you seem to have all the answers, whats your solution for the big 12 to continue functioning, while still paying out 35m/year to its' members? Once UT and OU leave that money goes with them.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31246 on: July 26, 2021, 04:38:31 PM »
I'm trying to think of a time where a massive lawsuit really worked out for the plaintiff. I've seen some where the plaintiff gets a nice settlement, but 5 or 6 years from now, what we could get from the lawsuit less legal costs will be irrelevant.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31247 on: July 26, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »

I love articles like this, it like the jab, just let's you know without reservations who the idiots are. This would only be possible if the current members decided to pitch the current conference by-laws to join the aac.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31248 on: July 26, 2021, 04:49:18 PM »
I just hope we’re patient for a few months to see what the PAC does. I don’t want to sign up with multiple AAC schools, then have to try to untangle that to try to align with Washington St, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St & Utah.

The Pac 12 have to get their situation sorted before the Big 12 does. Their media deal is up first. In theory the Big 12 doesn't need to do a damn thing until the fall of 2023 at the earliest.

By when do Pac schools have to decide if they’re in it together going forward? Ou/ut gave way more notice than needed, but I think I saw it was 18 months for us. So maybe by end of 2021 that a Pac school would have to tell the others they’re not necessarily in for whatever media deal the status quo conference is trying to make?

Ideally, Pac schools are talking internally that they’re not looking to leave cross-country for greener pastures, but that they want their existing group to make big moves so they can collectively dictate a better deal for all.

Yeah, your timeline is correct here. These media deals are like contracts, you generally want to have your extension or new deal done well before your current deal expires. If you go into your last year of a deal that's a sign you don't have interested bidders and you're likely to take a bath. As crappy as the Pac's current deal is, they'll still have bidders to do a new deal. Possible exclusivity might be a big thing with the new Pac deal.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31249 on: July 26, 2021, 04:49:41 PM »
It seems very archaic that we are still talking about quantity of TV sets.  I mean, the very basis of this alignment and realignment has to be at risk within the next contract timeline, right?