Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980670 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31125 on: July 25, 2021, 11:35:31 AM »

Package everyone together in a giant conference and brand the cross-division games as intersectional culture wars and make the conference something new and uniquely american in contrast to the backwards confederate sec.

Hell yeah. Lean into Hayseeds vs Hollywood and Taco Lucha vs. Taco Bell and hype the crap out of Farmageddon

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31126 on: July 25, 2021, 11:35:33 AM »
Big 12 orphan leaders and PAC leaders need to be creative and promotional, both separately and together. I know tv dorks have tunnel vision on population size, but I really see no difference in market size between a large population that mostly ignores something and a small population that values it tremendously. And that holds up based on how much media resources have to be devoted to it as is in each place. I tend to think there’s more local/state media coverage of KSU than either Washington school.

Package everyone together in a giant conference and brand the cross-division games as intersectional culture wars and make the conference something new and uniquely american in contrast to the backwards confederate sec.
Midwest salt of the earth KSU cats vs the left coast liberal hippy OSU beavers.  Tonight on FoxNews after the townhall.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31127 on: July 25, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »
I don't know if there's much of a financial difference between a 20 team PAC 12 and a 16 team Big 12.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31128 on: July 25, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »
WARM UP YOUR ELECTRIC VEHICLES HOWEVER THE HELL THAT WORKS, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31129 on: July 25, 2021, 11:51:45 AM »
I just hope we’re patient for a few months to see what the PAC does. I don’t want to sign up with multiple AAC schools, then have to try to untangle that to try to align with Washington St, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St & Utah.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31130 on: July 25, 2021, 11:52:47 AM »
I just hope we’re patient for a few months to see what the PAC does. I don’t want to sign up with multiple AAC schools, then have to try to untangle that to try to align with Washington St, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St & Utah.
Do you think Colorado gets an invite to the show?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31131 on: July 25, 2021, 12:03:57 PM »

The Pac 12 have to get their situation sorted before the Big 12 does. Their media deal is up first. In theory the Big 12 doesn't need to do a damn thing until the fall of 2023 at the earliest.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31132 on: July 25, 2021, 12:13:54 PM »

I have no idea. There’s the “BigTen take 6 of PAC” rumor that includes Colorado but not Washington, which I find very hard to believe. My list wasn’t meant to be totally inclusive/exclusive. I just listed the ones I think have the best chance to be in our current situation.

I’m always thinking up different scenarios. One I’ve thought up on the 1% chance the “6 PAC to BigTen” has any validity is would the remaining 6 PAC even want to mess with KSU, KU, ISU, OSU & Tech trying to untangle from TCU, Baylor & WVU while fighting OU/UT for exit money to form a 3 time zone conference.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31133 on: July 25, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »

I have no idea. There’s the “BigTen take 6 of PAC” rumor that includes Colorado but not Washington, which I find very hard to believe. My list wasn’t meant to be totally inclusive/exclusive. I just listed the ones I think have the best chance to be in our current situation.

I’m always thinking up different scenarios. One I’ve thought up on the 1% chance the “6 PAC to BigTen” has any validity is would the remaining 6 PAC even want to mess with KSU, KU, ISU, OSU & Tech trying to untangle from TCU, Baylor & WVU while fighting OU/UT for exit money to form a 3 time zone conference.
Gotcha, i just caught the lack of Colorado and wondered if it was intentional.  I agree that UW will be one of the schools that will end up in the top league/division when it's all said.  I have my doubts about colorado, but that's just my perception of then as a brand.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31134 on: July 25, 2021, 12:50:41 PM »
They’ve got hours of airtime to fill, so stupid riffs are prevalent.    But yesterday several guys on several national networks  rolled on for 5 minutes about how this was a chance for the PAC to break out of their malaise and take control of the Western half of the US. 

Admittedly they were saying what I wanted to hear, but they made a decent argument that it puts the PAC in control of 3 time zones, and brings an element of collegiate athletic enthusiasm that the PAC lacks.  He also said any conference with Arizona State and Arizona and 6 interchangeable state schools and two others only a notch higher . . . ain’t that worried about academics. 

With the massive inventory for TV, captured viewership is important.  Kstate’s solid TV numbers speak for themself.  I hope frick and shazbot! have that front and center in their discussion.   

I

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31135 on: July 25, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
Mean Gene, time to prove the nay sayers wrong!

Have some balls!

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31137 on: July 25, 2021, 02:06:12 PM »
They are absolutely leaving, and I'd wager a great deal on the PAC and big 10 taking zero of the Big 12 leftovers....UNLESS, somehow the big 10 or SEC takes prominent schools from the PAC, and the likelihood of that seems very, very low.

I don't know why the likelihood of USC/PSU/UM/tOSU/Clemson getting poached would be less likely than UT and OU getting poached

For clemson, it’s because the ACC grant of rights goes until the early 2030’s. If it is expensive for OU/UT to break our GoR, it’s way more expensive for anyone in the ACC to break theirs.

For Mich, tOSU and PSU, they already make more from the Big Ten than what the SEC gets. Plus they have their fair share of name power in that conference.

For USC, they are a LONG ways from anyone else in this conglomeration. Unless the SEC/big 10 is adding several west coast schools, I have a hard time picturing USC moving.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31138 on: July 25, 2021, 02:08:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/247Sports/status/1419122832492072960?s=19

Good ol' realignment. 1,000 articles written based on the same 2 speculative tweets. FWIW, I heard the call was with Ohio State, not the conference. Maybe that's how you harmonize the seemingly counterfactual reports.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31139 on: July 25, 2021, 02:15:05 PM »

They are absolutely leaving, and I'd wager a great deal on the PAC and big 10 taking zero of the Big 12 leftovers....UNLESS, somehow the big 10 or SEC takes prominent schools from the PAC, and the likelihood of that seems very, very low.

I don't know why the likelihood of USC/PSU/UM/tOSU/Clemson getting poached would be less likely than UT and OU getting poached

For clemson, it’s because the ACC grant of rights goes until the early 2030’s. If it is expensive for OU/UT to break our GoR, it’s way more expensive for anyone in the ACC to break theirs.

For Mich, tOSU and PSU, they already make more from the Big Ten than what the SEC gets. Plus they have their fair share of name power in that conference.

For USC, they are a LONG ways from anyone else in this conglomeration. Unless the SEC/big 10 is adding several west coast schools, I have a hard time picturing USC moving.

I'm assuming the new SEC deal will be big enough make the current big 10 deal a lot smaller and make it the ACC GoR a lot less relevant

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31140 on: July 25, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
The wild card to me in this is Fox. I’m guessing they had some money earmarked for half the Big12 rights to get OU & UT on Big Noon Kickoff (& content for noon EST FS1). That time slot they split between Big12 & BigTen. Now they only have BigTen. They’re partners with the BigTen & have a chunk of the PAC-12 deal. I don’t really see their motivation in paying the BigTen more to add PAC-12 teams they already have deals with that don’t help with the Big Noon Kickoff problem.

The BigTen isn’t going to let them turn that into an exclusively BigTen window. Does Fox push the PAC to add central time zone teams to fill that slot, overpay a rebuilt Big12 to help fill that spot, or abandon the Big Noon Kickoff branding? I have a hard time seeing them abandoning the time slot since they own it. I could also see in a new BigTen deal with Fox the BigTen pushing a limit to the number of times a team can be selected for it so it doesn’t become “Big Noon Ohio State Kickoff.”

Also, does Fox see value in Baylor, TCU & WVU? If 4 Big12 teams go PAC, that means Fox has to go strike a deal with the AAC (or where ever they land)or potentially lose a couple game’s worth of slots per weekend.  I don’t think anyone is doing any moves until Fox decides what they want to pay for & how. The more I think about it, the next move will be decided by Fox. They may see this as an opportunity to get UCF, Houston, Cincy & whoever else in the Big12 (without the rest of the AAC) while still having 3 conferences worth of teams in conference races in November for their inventory.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:03:22 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31142 on: July 25, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »
Another thing I didn’t realize until today after reading a David Hale thread is what ND’s playoff situation actually is. It didn’t register with me when their AD was talking about it. He Kind of said it when the playoff was announced, but he also played the “people can’t say it’s not hard for us now card”, downplaying the actual advantage they have. This was also right when the playoff expansion proposal was announced, so it got buried by that too.

People are saying “ND can’t get a bye” as if that’s an issue. However, it’s actually to their advantage. If they were to join a the ACC, they’d have to win a 13th game in Charlotte against a top ACC team for the right for their 14th game to be in the quarterfinals in a bowl location. In this, they’re also risking losing the ACC CCG and having to play an extra game in the 1st round before the quarterfinals.

By staying out of the ACC, they now would play their 13th game against the 12th ranked team in South Bend for the right for their a 14th game to be the quarterfinals. 

It’s not “ND has to play a first round game every year.” It’s actually “ND gets play the 12 ranked team at home instead of the ACC CCG in Charlotte to get into the quarterfinals.” Maybe everyone else already realized this, but there’s no way ND is joining the ACC full time now.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:20:25 PM by TheHamburglar »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31143 on: July 25, 2021, 06:59:35 PM »
Time to raid the PAC for six teams including USC and UCLA. That Big 12 could offer WAY more money than the PAC and hopefully enough prestige for Texas and OU.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1419439100990476288

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31144 on: July 25, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »
Welp that's a really stupid take.  So ND plays in the 12 team CFP no matter how rough ridin' bad their SOS and record are?  NO rough ridin' WAY.  It would be much easier to play ACC CCG for a chance to play in the CFP.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31145 on: July 25, 2021, 07:17:11 PM »
Time to raid the PAC for six teams including USC and UCLA. That Big 12 could offer WAY more money than the PAC and hopefully enough prestige for Texas and OU.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1419439100990476288

This was what I brought up last year when reading about the issues with network payout for the PAC.  It was said the PAC may lose teams to the Big XII or they may form an alignment of the two networks to form a combined network.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31146 on: July 25, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
If Fox and the B12/PAC and B10 are proactive enough, I think what we’ll see is Fox Sports Cfb and ESPN (NU SEC) CFB.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31147 on: July 25, 2021, 07:37:10 PM »
Welp that's a really stupid take.  So ND plays in the 12 team CFP no matter how rough ridin' bad their SOS and record are?  NO rough ridin' WAY.  It would be much easier to play ACC CCG for a chance to play in the CFP.

The issue was around them not being able to get a bye. If the issue comes up that they don’t get a bye, it’s because they are in the top 4 & drop to to the 5 seed since they aren’t a conference champ. They’ll never need the conference champ designation to get it as a top 6 conference champ. If ND had a good enough season/team to make the ACC CCG, they’d already be in the top 12.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31148 on: July 25, 2021, 08:30:01 PM »

The issue was around them not being able to get a bye. If the issue comes up that they don’t get a bye, it’s because they are in the top 4 & drop to to the 5 seed since they aren’t a conference champ. They’ll never need the conference champ designation to get it as a top 6 conference champ. If ND had a good enough season/team to make the ACC CCG, they’d already be in the top 12.

Yes as better than top 12 ranking they could qualify.  As to playing in the ACC CCG, it would need to change to the top ranked teams playing as in the Big XII.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31149 on: July 25, 2021, 08:37:54 PM »
Not only does the 12 team playoff as proposed make it really easy for ND to get in. They get in with one or even two losses some years, they can do it without a CCG and they get a home game in the first round and all that extra revenue.