Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067465 times)

Online Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31151 on: July 25, 2021, 08:44:57 PM »
The wild card to me in this is Fox. I’m guessing they had some money earmarked for half the Big12 rights to get OU & UT on Big Noon Kickoff (& content for noon EST FS1). That time slot they split between Big12 & BigTen. Now they only have BigTen. They’re partners with the BigTen & have a chunk of the PAC-12 deal. I don’t really see their motivation in paying the BigTen more to add PAC-12 teams they already have deals with that don’t help with the Big Noon Kickoff problem.

The BigTen isn’t going to let them turn that into an exclusively BigTen window. Does Fox push the PAC to add central time zone teams to fill that slot, overpay a rebuilt Big12 to help fill that spot, or abandon the Big Noon Kickoff branding? I have a hard time seeing them abandoning the time slot since they own it. I could also see in a new BigTen deal with Fox the BigTen pushing a limit to the number of times a team can be selected for it so it doesn’t become “Big Noon Ohio State Kickoff.”

Also, does Fox see value in Baylor, TCU & WVU? If 4 Big12 teams go PAC, that means Fox has to go strike a deal with the AAC (or where ever they land)or potentially lose a couple game’s worth of slots per weekend.  I don’t think anyone is doing any moves until Fox decides what they want to pay for & how. The more I think about it, the next move will be decided by Fox. They may see this as an opportunity to get UCF, Houston, Cincy & whoever else in the Big12 (without the rest of the AAC) while still having 3 conferences worth of teams in conference races in November for their inventory.

This is all really good. I don't agree with the Big Noon kickoff thing though. The Big 10 doesn't have a problem with the 11AM kickoffs. A lot of those schools have only been playing night games for 20 years or so. And they play fewer night games than the other conferences. Most of their marquee games are day games and a lot of those night games are Nebraska Illinois Big 10 Network specials. Most of their fanbases also don't have to drive 4-5 hours. The only Big 10 programs that I can think of that has any night game brand at all is Penn State. Also bear in mind that for most of the conference season it's cold a.f. up there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31152 on: July 25, 2021, 08:48:44 PM »
Go past the video to read the article.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/breaking-texas-lawmakers-file-bill-to-block-longhorns-from-leaving-big-12-for-sec

I can't think that would survive in court at all. Prolonging this helps no one but A&M. Let them go so we can get their $70 million and we can move on with trying to figure out what's next for the conference.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31154 on: July 25, 2021, 08:58:09 PM »
I very much dislike the SEC and everything they stand for. Disappointed in Texas. We already have more money than Jesus. This would not have happened under Bill Powers's watch. Fairly or not, the SEC will always be the Confederacy Conference to me. I do not think UT is a good cultural fit with the slavers.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #31155 on: July 25, 2021, 09:04:41 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_F._Austin

Stephen Fuller Austin (November 3, 1793 – December 27, 1836) was an American-born empresario. Known as the "Father of Texas" and the founder of Anglo Texas, he led the second and, ultimately, the successful colonization of the region by bringing 300 families and their slaves from the United States to the region in 1825.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31156 on: July 25, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »

Stephen Fuller Austin (November 3, 1793 – December 27, 1836) was an American-born empresario. Known as the "Father of Texas" and the founder of Anglo Texas, he led the second and, ultimately, the successful colonization of the region by bringing 300 families and their slaves from the United States to the region in 1825.

I'm guessing you're not that familiar with the University of Texas.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31158 on: July 25, 2021, 09:51:11 PM »
The wild card to me in this is Fox. I’m guessing they had some money earmarked for half the Big12 rights to get OU & UT on Big Noon Kickoff (& content for noon EST FS1). That time slot they split between Big12 & BigTen. Now they only have BigTen. They’re partners with the BigTen & have a chunk of the PAC-12 deal. I don’t really see their motivation in paying the BigTen more to add PAC-12 teams they already have deals with that don’t help with the Big Noon Kickoff problem.

The BigTen isn’t going to let them turn that into an exclusively BigTen window. Does Fox push the PAC to add central time zone teams to fill that slot, overpay a rebuilt Big12 to help fill that spot, or abandon the Big Noon Kickoff branding? I have a hard time seeing them abandoning the time slot since they own it. I could also see in a new BigTen deal with Fox the BigTen pushing a limit to the number of times a team can be selected for it so it doesn’t become “Big Noon Ohio State Kickoff.”

Also, does Fox see value in Baylor, TCU & WVU? If 4 Big12 teams go PAC, that means Fox has to go strike a deal with the AAC (or where ever they land)or potentially lose a couple game’s worth of slots per weekend.  I don’t think anyone is doing any moves until Fox decides what they want to pay for & how. The more I think about it, the next move will be decided by Fox. They may see this as an opportunity to get UCF, Houston, Cincy & whoever else in the Big12 (without the rest of the AAC) while still having 3 conferences worth of teams in conference races in November for their inventory.

This is all really good. I don't agree with the Big Noon kickoff thing though. The Big 10 doesn't have a problem with the 11AM kickoffs. A lot of those schools have only been playing night games for 20 years or so. And they play fewer night games than the other conferences. Most of their marquee games are day games and a lot of those night games are Nebraska Illinois Big 10 Network specials. Most of their fanbases also don't have to drive 4-5 hours. The only Big 10 programs that I can think of that has any night game brand at all is Penn State. Also bear in mind that for most of the conference season it's cold a.f. up there.

I agree with all that. I was think more of why Fox would spend big money to bring PAC schools they already have to the BigTen when they can’t help with Big Noon Saturday home games. Oregon plays at Ohio State at 9:00am PST in 6 weeks, so they may get a taste of that and say no more. I know Ohio State wasn’t happy about that getting an 11:00am local kick too. I don’t know if Fox thinks half a BigTen slate is enough to fill a season of Big Noon Saturdays. They may back up the truck for the whole BigTen like ESPN/ACC, but I don’t know if the BigTen wants their top 3-4 teams rotating 11:00am all year while airing their games on the 2nd place family of networks. I agree I was probably a little overboard with the BigTen won’t allow Fox to make that BigTen only, but I also think the powers of the conference will think long & hard knowing if they’re 9-0 they’re probably finishing out the season with 11:00am games it’s hard to get recruits to.

Fox may want to pay for have Big12 leftover non-cons or a 5-0 TCU vs 5-0 UCF (for example) available during down weeks in the BigTen schedule where the marquee games is ABC/ESPN.

All of that is to say I don’t know what Fox wants to pay for, it will probably take them awhile to figure it out & we probably won’t know anything until then because they will be the ones paying for it all. I just don’t know how they will react to no having OU/Texas anymore, but also probably more money available now since they won’t be paying for OU/UT anymore either.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31159 on: July 26, 2021, 06:12:12 AM »

I'm guessing you're not that familiar with the University of Texas.
Your understanding of the political mindset of major university voting precincts is very keen.

Don Trump got 3 in 10 votes in Clarke County, GA.  Home of UGA.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31160 on: July 26, 2021, 06:49:03 AM »
Let’s keep the left outs all together, play our little conf, declare a conf champ, then complain about being left out of playoffs and/or about our low March Madness seeds!

Also, I think this means we need to move the conf BB tourney to Tulsa, or something. Seems like a tradition that we hold that in the state of whoever left us last.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31161 on: July 26, 2021, 07:20:24 AM »
Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Why/how would the remaining 8 schools stick together? When OU and UT leave, and our existing TV contract is up, we won't be able to command the money anymore.

I guess we don't HAVE to leave, but we'll drop to G5 money and TV deals either way.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31162 on: July 26, 2021, 07:44:18 AM »

Time to raid the PAC for six teams including USC and UCLA. That Big 12 could offer WAY more money than the PAC and hopefully enough prestige for Texas and OU.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1419439100990476288

Hmmm

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31163 on: July 26, 2021, 07:55:04 AM »
Yeah, that is what Bowlsby should have been pushing for.  Hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31164 on: July 26, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »
Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Why/how would the remaining 8 schools stick together? When OU and UT leave, and our existing TV contract is up, we won't be able to command the money anymore.

I guess we don't HAVE to leave, but we'll drop to G5 money and TV deals either way.
It would be pretty crappy still, but the remaining 8 plus 2-4 of the best G5 would be better than everyone breaking off into existing G5 conferences. At least we'd have a little bit of P5 flavor.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31165 on: July 26, 2021, 08:48:53 AM »
Pretty good angsty article the sums up the shitshow College Football is becoming. Behind paywall on the The Athletic site.

https://theathletic.com/2729122/2021/07/26/conference-realignment-sucks-and-its-taking-away-what-we-love-about-college-football-vannini/?source=emp_shared_article

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #31166 on: July 26, 2021, 09:04:36 AM »
the athletic sucks for KSU stuff but it’s good to see some quality realignment content from them. I subscribe pretty much entirely for Nate Taylor and Seth Keysors chiefs content.
emaw

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31167 on: July 26, 2021, 09:15:24 AM »
Yeah, that is what Bowlsby should have been pushing for.  Hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

I agree. I also think if there’s something that could be done to make OU & UT happy long term (other than unequal payments) then OU & UT should have been bringing those up as well. I just don’t think any other options exist.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31168 on: July 26, 2021, 09:25:49 AM »

I agree. I also think if there’s something that could be done to make OU & UT happy long term (other than unequal payments) then OU & UT should have been bringing those up as well. I just don’t think any other options exist.

Also probably true. It has always been out of our hands.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31170 on: July 26, 2021, 09:35:31 AM »

Also probably true. It has always been out of our hands.

This whole thing feels like they want Prestige Worldwide which is obviously something we can't give them.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31172 on: July 26, 2021, 10:08:43 AM »
Is it odd that we are not hearing anything from our administration?

You would have thought that one of the main criteria for hiring our Athletic Director would have been self-preservation, networking, and contingency-planning in the event of future realignment. I'm less than impressed with the job old Gene has done.

He hasn't proven a damn thing in his coaching hires (or sackless ability to fire when needed) in the sports that matter. He's done an adequate job at fundraising and building facilities. Perhaps he's even done a good job here, but he really just continued the success Curry had.  I can tell you I'd much rather have sleezy Curry as AD right now over small timey Gene Taylor.

I hope I'm surprised and we have some positive news regarding our plan moving forward in the next few days, but it looks like we have been caught completely flat footed here.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31173 on: July 26, 2021, 10:12:13 AM »
I don't think a "no comment" in this situation is odd at all. Any comment at this point should be dumb and generic so wgaf

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31174 on: July 26, 2021, 10:14:56 AM »
I don't understand the appeal for 8 plus 2-4 G5.  Maybe I'm alone, but a conference game against Houston, Cinci, or UCF does not put me at the edge of my seat.  I'm hoping this is not option #1 when we look at the state of affairs post-2025.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.