Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980057 times)

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31100 on: July 24, 2021, 10:03:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1419052062730502158

Luckily this was discussed, which means Baylor said "what about we try this..." and everyone said "naw, eff that."

Discussion is far from an offer, I'm glad they're discussing all possible avenues.

Some of y'all are really emotional.

That's all true, but whomever the Big 12 administrator was who leaked this could have chosen any number of different/better leaks to share (even if completely made up). This tidbit - like just about everything - makes the Big 12 look reactionary, caught off guard, etc.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31101 on: July 24, 2021, 10:17:44 PM »
The other Big 12 schools could seemingly take a haircut that would allow Texas and OU to be the highest paid schools in the country and still be in the neighborhood of $30M. Which is five times more than the AAC and MWC at $5-7M. Correct?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31102 on: July 24, 2021, 11:00:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1419052062730502158

Luckily this was discussed, which means Baylor said "what about we try this..." and everyone said "naw, eff that."

Discussion is far from an offer, I'm glad they're discussing all possible avenues.

That's all true, but whomever the Big 12 administrator was who leaked this could have chosen any number of different/better leaks to share (even if completely made up). This tidbit - like just about everything - makes the Big 12 look reactionary, caught off guard, etc.

I'm familiar enough with Dennis Dodd that until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming he did not apply proper context to that event. Seems fishy that's the only real detail we got from that call, no?

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31103 on: July 25, 2021, 06:56:27 AM »
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1419052062730502158?s=19

Lmao

I'll see your lmao and raise it LMFAO!

If true, what a jv move.  Screwing the 8 dwarfs might work in the short term but says nothing about the future.  Just a clear sign the Big 12 is over, time to move on. 

I hope dingus and doofus are scheming for the Katz

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31104 on: July 25, 2021, 07:02:26 AM »
Quote from: MakeItRain

If UT and OU leave, that's it for the remainders. No one left has a big enough TV market to be attractive enough for another P5 conference. We'll head to the G5 level.

I don't hold out much hope. If UT and OU go to the SEC, then that'll probably be it for K-State football. I don't see the PAC expanding to 16 so we'll end up in the Mountain West with OSU and KU.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31105 on: July 25, 2021, 08:17:06 AM »

If UT and OU leave, that's it for the remainders. No one left has a big enough TV market to be attractive enough for another P5 conference. We'll head to the G5 level.

I don't hold out much hope. If UT and OU go to the SEC, then that'll probably be it for K-State football. I don't see the PAC expanding to 16 so we'll end up in the Mountain West with OSU and KU.

IDK but I see the PAC and BIG being pressured to add to their cachet.  A TT, OSU, KSU package wouldn't be a bad addition to the PAC

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31106 on: July 25, 2021, 08:44:07 AM »

They are 100% leaving, it’s the PAC 12 or bust.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31107 on: July 25, 2021, 09:29:22 AM »
They are absolutely leaving, and I'd wager a great deal on the PAC and big 10 taking zero of the Big 12 leftovers....UNLESS, somehow the big 10 or SEC takes prominent schools from the PAC, and the likelihood of that seems very, very low.

In summary, we will be a mid major.  The next step is to hope/pray/lobby for the NCAA to dissolve so that we can rid ourselves of the scholarship minimums / sports counts, and reduce all spend to Men's basketball and football, and then the least expensive women's sports to provide the same number of scholarships as Men's basketball and football.  Every ounce of our economic horsepower needs to be put into the revenue sports from now on. 

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #31108 on: July 25, 2021, 09:31:21 AM »
Who cares? Idk why you guys are getting so worked up over this.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #31109 on: July 25, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »
Spoken like a true non-townie. #SquawkAlert
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #31110 on: July 25, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »
Spoken like a true non-townie. #SquawkAlert
I have a deeper and stronger connection to KSU than probably anyone on this blog. So don’t you even dare call me a squawk.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #31111 on: July 25, 2021, 09:48:37 AM »
I hope we all stick together and add a few aac teams. 

Like it or not, there’s no such thing as the P5 anymore, and there probably is no such thing as even the P4 either. the SEC getting that much stronger already puts the Pac, ACC and Big 10 (though to a lesser degree) that much further below - financially, competitively, and optics-wise.  How long until the top PAC and ACC (and Big 10?) teams catch wind of that and decide to act in their “own self interest”?  I would say about 15 years at the longest, and likely much quicker.

Regardless, the money train is over for kstate unless/until CFB breaks away and reshuffles the conference/divisional deck. Which feels like a long way off and may not end up being a boon for kstate anyway.

If that’s the case, I’d rather play some other “have nots” I’m at least familiar with - KU, OSU, ISU and the Texas schools.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31112 on: July 25, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
They are absolutely leaving, and I'd wager a great deal on the PAC and big 10 taking zero of the Big 12 leftovers....UNLESS, somehow the big 10 or SEC takes prominent schools from the PAC, and the likelihood of that seems very, very low.

In summary, we will be a mid major.  The next step is to hope/pray/lobby for the NCAA to dissolve so that we can rid ourselves of the scholarship minimums / sports counts, and reduce all spend to Men's basketball and football, and then the least expensive women's sports to provide the same number of scholarships as Men's basketball and football. Every ounce of our economic horsepower needs to be put into the revenue sports from now on.

True, but I doubt the 2 smalltimers see it that way

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31113 on: July 25, 2021, 09:59:57 AM »

I don't know why the likelihood of USC/PSU/UM/tOSU/Clemson getting poached would be less likely than UT and OU getting poached

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31114 on: July 25, 2021, 10:21:01 AM »
I hope we all stick together and add a few aac teams. 

Like it or not, there’s no such thing as the P5 anymore, and there probably is no such thing as even the P4 either. the SEC getting that much stronger already puts the Pac, ACC and Big 10 (though to a lesser degree) that much further below - financially, competitively, and optics-wise.  How long until the top PAC and ACC (and Big 10?) teams catch wind of that and decide to act in their “own self interest”?  I would say about 15 years at the longest, and likely much quicker.

Regardless, the money train is over for kstate unless/until CFB breaks away and reshuffles the conference/divisional deck. Which feels like a long way off and may not end up being a boon for kstate anyway.

If that’s the case, I’d rather play some other “have nots” I’m at least familiar with - KU, OSU, ISU and the Texas schools.
Yea pretty sure this is a long term separation between the top schools and all smaller schools. Short term, we might get a lifeline to the PAC. Long term, the best we can hope for is some sort of European (soccer?) type league where there's a constant shuffle of top lower level teams and worst upper level teams. Maybe we could play our way into the top league.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31115 on: July 25, 2021, 10:30:47 AM »
big 10 may not add, but PAC needs to.  PAC needs to market their brand more, and playing more games on early afternoons will help with an addition of 4 (or more) Midwest teams.  Seems like a win/win. 

I would like too see PAC add 6 teams (Tech, TCU, OSU, KSU, KU, and ISU).  Sorry WVU and Baylor.

This allows them to pick up enough market to get better game times.  I also would like to see a longer season with only 2 non-conf games, and those must be played against other P5 teams.  I think PAC could see a nice $$ increase. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31116 on: July 25, 2021, 10:33:23 AM »

Yep

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31117 on: July 25, 2021, 10:48:19 AM »
Cats gonna end up in the MWC, which is probably where they belong if we're being honest. Will be interesting to see how much the addition of teams like KSU/Baylor/TTech/OSU adds to the MWC current TV revenue of 7 mil. My guess is it'll get a bump up to about 15 mil/year which is still 20 mil less than KSU is receiving now. Gonna be some major budget cuts going on

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31118 on: July 25, 2021, 10:51:43 AM »

Yep
We've already lost games against NU, CU, MU and OU. Let's at least keep playing KU, OSU and ISU.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #31119 on: July 25, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
big 10 may not add, but PAC needs to.  PAC needs to market their brand more, and playing more games on early afternoons will help with an addition of 4 (or more) Midwest teams.  Seems like a win/win. 

I would like too see PAC add 6 teams (Tech, TCU, OSU, KSU, KU, and ISU).  Sorry WVU and Baylor.

This allows them to pick up enough market to get better game times.  I also would like to see a longer season with only 2 non-conf games, and those must be played against other P5 teams.  I think PAC could see a nice $$ increase.
I really doubt adding those six teams (or any # of them) increases the payout to existing pac schools.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31120 on: July 25, 2021, 11:17:06 AM »
The discussion of PAC expansion by PAC fans and media isn't 100% about increasing payouts. I don't know what the other rationale is, but it seems to vaguely be about future survival and I guess accordingly future payouts.

Some are worried about trying to keep USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. Maybe the other schools fear ending up like us Big 12 orphans.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31121 on: July 25, 2021, 11:19:37 AM »
Cats gonna end up in the MWC, which is probably where they belong if we're being honest. Will be interesting to see how much the addition of teams like KSU/Baylor/TTech/OSU adds to the MWC current TV revenue of 7 mil. My guess is it'll get a bump up to about 15 mil/year which is still 20 mil less than KSU is receiving now. Gonna be some major budget cuts going on

Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31122 on: July 25, 2021, 11:26:25 AM »
Big 12 orphan leaders and PAC leaders need to be creative and promotional, both separately and together. I know tv dorks have tunnel vision on population size, but I really see no difference in market size between a large population that mostly ignores something and a small population that values it tremendously. And that holds up based on how much media resources have to be devoted to it as is in each place. I tend to think there’s more local/state media coverage of KSU than either Washington school.

Package everyone together in a giant conference and brand the cross-division games as intersectional culture wars and make the conference something new and uniquely american in contrast to the backwards confederate sec. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31123 on: July 25, 2021, 11:34:26 AM »
A "union" of free conferences, so to speak.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31124 on: July 25, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »
The discussion of PAC expansion by PAC fans and media isn't 100% about increasing payouts. I don't know what the other rationale is, but it seems to vaguely be about future survival and I guess accordingly future payouts.

Some are worried about trying to keep USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. Maybe the other schools fear ending up like us Big 12 orphans.

This makes sense. I'd think they'd be less vulnerable to being looted because of simple geography but who knows.

However, the value the Big 12 schools have to the PAC 12 is the expansion would finally allow their network to get much needed carriage and that would immediately put more money in their pocket as they are currently renegotiating their next media deal. They have been trying to get on DirecTV since their existence. Adding schools in the central time zone would absolutely get them on DirecTV and access to all those carriage fees.

Also if the Pac 12 is looking at expanding into the central time zone, I'd think they're also looking at Houston.