Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980796 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30625 on: September 19, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »
As an aside, nothing beats the comedy of people who believed John Wefald and thought the Big 8 was going to kick K-State out and try to bring in somebody like Arkansas.   If there's one thing NU and OU wanted and that's more competition.

The truth is in the middle. There was an informal “vote” to kick K-State out that was 6-1 with KU voting keep. The vote wasn’t binding and everyone knew ahead how KU was voting. It was just to send a message. The message had some context that the conference landscapes were changing. If we didn’t invest in football & conference affiliations were to change, there would be very little fight among the others to bring us along. I knew this when I was a kid in the mid-90s.

If I were a squawk and knew this I’d hold it over our heads until the end of time.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30626 on: September 19, 2020, 06:00:33 PM »
As an aside, nothing beats the comedy of people who believed John Wefald and thought the Big 8 was going to kick K-State out and try to bring in somebody like Arkansas.   If there's one thing NU and OU wanted and that's more competition.

The truth is in the middle. There was an informal “vote” to kick K-State out that was 6-1 with KU voting keep. The vote wasn’t binding and everyone knew ahead how KU was voting. It was just to send a message. The message had some context that the conference landscapes were changing. If we didn’t invest in football & conference affiliations were to change, there would be very little fight among the others to bring us along. I knew this when I was a kid in the mid-90s.

If I were a squawk and knew this I’d hold it over our heads until the end of time.

Maybe. Everyone knew how little we invested in football. If it was a real binding vote, the others might have voted different. It was just their way of putting some teeth behind telling us that if we didn’t invest more in football, then Big8/future conference affiliation with the rest of them wasn’t guaranteed long term. The rest of the Big8 wanted us to stay too. They just wanted to stop having to go to a high school facility to play against a hapless team every year.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30627 on: September 19, 2020, 06:09:15 PM »

Maybe. Everyone knew how little we invested in football. If it was a real binding vote, the others might have voted different. It was just their way of putting some teeth behind telling us that if we didn’t invest more in football, then Big8/future conference affiliation with the rest of them wasn’t guaranteed long term. The rest of the Big8 wanted us to stay too. They just wanted to stop having to go to a high school facility to play against a hapless team every year.

Squawks  :frown:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30628 on: September 19, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
The idea that there are 30 million schools for grabs is stupid.  I don't remember the ACC, BIG Ten, SEC, or PAC 12 bringing in any high value schools.  Also our great network contract may not renegotiate at the same value as our existing contract.  The long and short of it is we may need two more schools to get a competitive contract and if we sit on our ass like we did last time things may not turn out very good for the conference.

The Big 10, ACC, and SEC all made expansions to enhance either existing or proposed networks. Adding schools added places where those conferences were played, therefore adding places where cable providers would add the networks, giving those conferences more money. The model has changed, there will be no Big 12 Network and that has nothing to do with LHN. The Big 12 Network is the deal we have with ESPN+

I should have made my post a little clearer for those who don't know I'm not talking about a Big XII network.  I'm talking about our contract with ESPN and Fox that will expire around 2025.  I think we are lucky to have kept the original network proposed negotiations when we lost four schools and grabbed WVU and TCU.  I'm saying we may not get what we're getting with ten schools.

The contract we have was finalized in September of 2012, after the conference added WVU and TCU. If we get less money, and it's very possible that happens, it will be because the sports media rights bubble finally popped, not because we only have 10 teams.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30629 on: September 19, 2020, 07:18:48 PM »

They weren't in much better shape and their basketball program was nothing close to what it is today. Hamburglar mentioned the mid 90's but if this informal vote took place it would have been in the mid to late 80's. Also the timing of this supposed informal vote is important because of the reduction in scholarships. As great of a coach as LHC Bill Snyder was, if the scholarship limit didn't get changed to 85 in 1991, I don't think we ever become what we were.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30630 on: September 19, 2020, 07:21:20 PM »
Never let all the facts get in the way of a good zinger
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30631 on: September 19, 2020, 07:23:53 PM »

They weren't in much better shape and their basketball program was nothing close to what it is today. Hamburglar mentioned the mid 90's but if this informal vote took place it would have been in the mid to late 80's. Also the timing of this supposed informal vote is important because of the reduction in scholarships. As great of a coach as LHC Bill Snyder was, if the scholarship limit didn't get changed to 85 in 1991, I don't think we ever become what we were.

I didn’t mean it happened in the mid-90s, that’s when I was old enough to be told about it & understand. My grandfather was about as well connected as you could get at K-State from the mid-60s to the early-90s.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30632 on: September 19, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »

I didn’t mean it happened in the mid-90s, that’s when I was old enough to be told about it & understand. My grandfather was about as well connected as you could get at K-State from the mid-60s to the early-90s.

:thumbsup:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #30633 on: September 20, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »

thanks blue wing bros!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #30634 on: September 20, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »

They weren't in much better shape and their basketball program was nothing close to what it is today. Hamburglar mentioned the mid 90's but if this informal vote took place it would have been in the mid to late 80's. Also the timing of this supposed informal vote is important because of the reduction in scholarships. As great of a coach as LHC LHC Bill Snyder was, if the scholarship limit didn't get changed to 85 in 1991, I don't think we ever become what we were.

What did Brent do?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30635 on: September 20, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »

This is laughable in the context that, for example: KU was the other team in the Toilet Bowl.  They sucked as well and they were making no investment in football.  Iowa State sucked.  Ostate was mediocre and about to hit the skids because Pat Jones was cheating his ass off and got caught. 

If such a vote took place, it was by every definition, symbolic, as you said.  Hell even CU sucked ass for the majority of the 80’s.   

All you had to do was see the look on Tom Osborne’s face when NU was told they had to play OU again in the Orange Bowl.  At their core they wanted zero additional competition in the Big 8. 

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30636 on: September 21, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »

They weren't in much better shape and their basketball program was nothing close to what it is today. Hamburglar mentioned the mid 90's but if this informal vote took place it would have been in the mid to late 80's. Also the timing of this supposed informal vote is important because of the reduction in scholarships. As great of a coach as LHC LHC Bill Snyder was, if the scholarship limit didn't get changed to 85 in 1991, I don't think we ever become what we were.

What did Brent do?
:popcorn:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30637 on: September 21, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »

This is laughable in the context that, for example: KU was the other team in the Toilet Bowl.  They sucked as well and they were making no investment in football.  Iowa State sucked.  Ostate was mediocre and about to hit the skids because Pat Jones was cheating his ass off and got caught. 

If such a vote took place, it was by every definition, symbolic, as you said.  Hell even CU sucked ass for the majority of the 80’s.   

All you had to do was see the look on Tom Osborne’s face when NU was told they had to play OU again in the Orange Bowl.  At their core they wanted zero additional competition in the Big 8.

Now, imagine I’m a squawk and you just rattled all that crap off at me irl, then I came back with the BCS bowl win and all-time head to head smack.

It’s an absolutely perfect arrow for the squawk quiver.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30639 on: September 24, 2020, 09:56:43 PM »
Would take
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30640 on: September 25, 2020, 12:07:02 AM »
Would take

The "smart" ones ITT would not take due to the 30 million qualifier.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30641 on: September 25, 2020, 12:10:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/BabushkaUtes/status/1309279111962009600

Worth noting that Colorado voted no because Boulder County won't let them practice, they are out for at least the next two weeks. Also barf on Utah, we'd be much better off taking BYU, at least they're a national brand. Utah can take their asses back to the Mountain West.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30642 on: September 25, 2020, 05:48:53 AM »
Yes, lets bring in the weirdo cult and their no playing on Sunday's. 

Particularly so we can send our guys out against 25 year old Sophomores.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30643 on: September 25, 2020, 07:05:01 AM »
No one said they want BYU, dax, Jesus Christ. I know you don't read or retain anything, but I've said roughly 94 times that I don't want to expand at all.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30644 on: September 25, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »
Hi Utah!  :blush:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30645 on: January 25, 2021, 03:41:20 PM »
Hey boys, put this in your pipe and smoke it:  https://youtu.be/fknRapMEhj8
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30646 on: January 25, 2021, 06:42:56 PM »
I think he is just full of speculation, as most people are who talk about this stuff. He didn't mention the upcoming TV contract dates, which are a huge factor in all of this. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30647 on: January 25, 2021, 11:15:14 PM »
Yeah, I agree Pete, he's missing some basic concepts here. First of all, there's no way in hell the Big 12 and the Pac 12 will merge/expand whatever you want to call it, there's no reason for the Big 12 to do that. Despite his claims that the Big 12 is behind the supposed big boys, assuming he means only the Big 10 and SEC, this doesn't hold true for UT and OU.

I have given up on my thought that the Big 12 will expand west, the money isn't there. The only thing that could happen is that the two conferences decide to package either part or all of their media rights together with a non con scheduling agreement. This could work but the Pac will either have to ditch their network or improve the distribution.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30648 on: January 26, 2021, 08:10:29 AM »
It's amazing how uneducated most people who cover college sports are about the business of college athletics.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30649 on: January 26, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »
ya just dump the crap non-con games and fill in those games with rotating games against p12 opponents 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.