Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 2042747 times)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30600 on: September 11, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »
I hated it at every level.

One level I hated is how everyone seemed to just take it as a given that, of course, state university athletic departments should absolutely try to make as much money as they possibly can. FUUUUUUUCK that.

It was worse than that. People that call themselves fans of teams so internalized the profit motive-logic that was driving the actors in this that they were actually rooting for it. It wasn't people just familiarizing themselves with the terms of what was being done to them, but celebrating their own conference's destruction without even questioning it.
Exactly this.  It drove me crazy.

I think it was that fans of programs like MU and A&M wanted "we're desired and you're [KU/UT respectively] not."  So shortsighted and stupid.
I fee like it has worked out fairly well for aTm, am I wrong?

I don't think they are any better or worse off than they were. If I were a fan, I would be upset about not being able to play Texas anymore, but their fans are pretty weird, so maybe they like that.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30601 on: September 12, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
A&M fans are like Trump supporters. They think whatever the school does is the greatest thing in the world and everyone else is just jealous they didn’t think of it/don’t have the balls to do it themselves.

Offline catbacker 73

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30602 on: September 13, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »
 I thought you were supposed to remove the band BEFORE you smoked them.
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed