Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4055280 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35076 on: March 09, 2023, 02:41:23 PM »
I really hope they ask and we tell them no.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35077 on: March 09, 2023, 03:40:26 PM »
They're just out there talking about it.

"I've always thought the Arizona schools, Colorado and Utah are a natural fit for us," Kansas State coach Jerome Tang said.

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1633874093819990018

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35078 on: March 09, 2023, 04:27:45 PM »
Can’t wait to lock down Utah! eff you Colorado, come on down Utah State Aggies!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35079 on: March 09, 2023, 05:36:38 PM »
I think we are going to get stuck with Colorado.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35080 on: March 09, 2023, 05:51:22 PM »

It’s inevitable
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35081 on: March 09, 2023, 06:01:24 PM »

It’s inevitable

i can already smell the patchouli

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35082 on: March 09, 2023, 06:08:48 PM »
Jerome Tang said. "Who doesn't want to visit Arizona?"

Uhh, I don’t

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35083 on: March 09, 2023, 06:46:37 PM »
"I've always thought the Arizona schools, Colorado and Utah are a natural fit for us," Kansas State coach Jerome Tang said.

this feels incredibly scripted and, as the low-medium sports writers say, i am HERE for it

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35084 on: March 10, 2023, 09:00:27 AM »
I hope we get Utah.  Not becuase I want them, but because their twitter fanbase hates us and I think that's fun.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35085 on: March 10, 2023, 09:08:21 AM »
Some of those Utah fans have gone so far all in on hating BYU's new conference that I think they'll literally kill themselves if Utah also joins.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35086 on: March 10, 2023, 09:20:57 AM »
Some of those Utah fans have gone so far all in on hating BYU's new conference that I think they'll literally kill themselves if Utah also joins.

If they dies, they dies.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35087 on: March 10, 2023, 03:21:07 PM »
I hope we get Utah.  Not becuase I want them, but because their twitter fanbase hates us and I think that's fun.

Spite is always fun.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35088 on: March 10, 2023, 04:37:13 PM »
https://247sports.com/Article/AAC-Commissioner-Mike-Aresco-calls-for-Power-5-Group-of-5-labels-to-be-abolished-in-college-sports--206161070/

American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco, in a lengthy statement, called for the "Power 5" and "Group of 5" labels in major NCAA athletics to be abolished as the college landscape continues to evolve amid conference realignment. Aresco, in the statement released before the start of the AAC Men's Basketball Tournament, said he was troubled by what he describes as "media-manufactured labels" giving elevated influence to five conferences — the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and Pac-12 — that "do not speak for all of college athletics."

:Keke:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35091 on: March 11, 2023, 10:16:36 AM »
The most recent comments make it seem like the Big 10 taking Oregon and Washington will be the first domino, and not the 4 corners leading the charge.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35092 on: March 11, 2023, 10:31:45 AM »
https://247sports.com/Article/AAC-Commissioner-Mike-Aresco-calls-for-Power-5-Group-of-5-labels-to-be-abolished-in-college-sports--206161070/

American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco, in a lengthy statement, called for the "Power 5" and "Group of 5" labels in major NCAA athletics to be abolished as the college landscape continues to evolve amid conference realignment. Aresco, in the statement released before the start of the AAC Men's Basketball Tournament, said he was troubled by what he describes as "media-manufactured labels" giving elevated influence to five conferences — the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and Pac-12 — that "do not speak for all of college athletics."

:Keke:

The term power five literally doesn't mean anything, is simply shorthand. If it's never uttered ever again, nothing changes. Notice Aresco didn't say a damn thing about the phrase that actually matters and it's the autonomous five.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35093 on: March 11, 2023, 11:45:14 AM »
The most recent comments make it seem like the Big 10 taking Oregon and Washington will be the first domino, and not the 4 corners leading the charge.

Didn’t the Big 10’s commissioner just quit because the UP’s didn’t want expansion?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35094 on: March 11, 2023, 11:55:10 AM »

Didn’t the Big 10’s commissioner just quit because the UP’s didn’t want expansion?

He had worked in NFL front offices before becoming Big 10 commish. Plus he landed in a pretty good situation in Chicago so I figured he just wanted to get back to the NFL.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35095 on: March 11, 2023, 12:19:09 PM »

He had worked in NFL front offices before becoming Big 10 commish. Plus he landed in a pretty good situation in Chicago so I figured he just wanted to get back to the NFL.

Andrew Marchand reported on his podcast that the Big 10 Presidents not wanting further expansion is one of the reasons he left. My guess is that the expansion talking point was less about expansion and more about a power struggle.

The Big 10 expanding to the PNW makes zero sense to me. It doesn't give the other schools more money, that's not how the pro rata clause works. Adding those schools gives the Big 10 more power, it just adds to the travel. If they want travel partners for SoCal, it makes much more sense to add Stanford and Cal.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35096 on: March 11, 2023, 02:59:10 PM »

Andrew Marchand reported on his podcast that the Big 10 Presidents not wanting further expansion is one of the reasons he left. My guess is that the expansion talking point was less about expansion and more about a power struggle.

The Big 10 expanding to the PNW makes zero sense to me. It doesn't give the other schools more money, that's not how the pro rata clause works. Adding those schools gives the Big 10 more power, it just adds to the travel. If they want travel partners for SoCal, it makes much more sense to add Stanford and Cal.

To your point, it makes a lot of sense.  I have heard the last couple of weeks about how the California schools with their huge AUU research funds are more attractive to the big 10 presidents and this was what the difference of opinion was between the Big 10’s commissioner.  As he wanted all four schools and they don't want Washington or Oregon.  This is why the talking heads quoting top journalists are saying that UW and OU may end up coming at a later date to the Big XII.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35097 on: March 11, 2023, 03:02:48 PM »
@Pete I just want to stop for a second and applaud you for what might be the finest thread title ever penned on this blog. It's a masterpiece of prose. Is it an original, or did you lift it from somewhere?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35098 on: March 11, 2023, 03:15:56 PM »

To your point, it makes a lot of sense.  I have heard the last couple of weeks about how the California schools with their huge AUU research funds are more attractive to the big 10 presidents and this was what the difference of opinion was between the Big 10’s commissioner.  As he wanted all four schools and they don't want Washington or Oregon.  This is why the talking heads quoting top journalists are saying that UW and OU may end up coming at a later date to the Big XII.

The Big 10 taking 2 crappy programs to make their conference even worse in the name of academics would be very on brand for them.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35099 on: March 11, 2023, 04:13:53 PM »
I've read the information about the Big 10 Research Consortium, and it's just that, a consortium.  I have not read anything about one Big 10 school funding research at another Big 10 school.  The things they do can quite literally be accomplished by any group of schools with the desire to do so . . . .

I just don't get why it even gets brought up.  It's glossy brochure talking points.