Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4053935 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35050 on: March 04, 2023, 11:03:11 PM »
i don’t want any of them, we don’t need them.  dead weight.

I want Arizona because they want us, they care about sports, and Tuscon is a way cooler city than Boulder.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35051 on: March 05, 2023, 12:19:12 AM »
The PAC must die.

Et tu TSC?

(Truck stop conference)
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35052 on: March 05, 2023, 11:09:49 PM »
i don’t want any of them, we don’t need them.  dead weight.

I want Arizona because they want us, they care about sports, and Tuscon is a way cooler city than Boulder.

yes
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35053 on: March 06, 2023, 10:40:23 AM »
they are located in a city with +1M residents and average 35k per game (that’s a generous estimate).

they don’t fit

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35054 on: March 06, 2023, 10:46:39 AM »
they are located in a city with +1M residents and average 35k per game (that’s a generous estimate).

they don’t fit
Only like 35K of the people who live there are from there tho, so really they have a tremendous turnout!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35055 on: March 06, 2023, 10:58:01 AM »

they don’t fit

That's not accurate, sir. That was the attendance in 2021 when they were coming off of a 1-11 season. They're near capacity, 50,000, now.
https://www.d1ticker.com/2022-fbs-attendance-trends/

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35056 on: March 06, 2023, 12:25:58 PM »
my bad, based on those numbers they’re averaging 45k last season

i still don’t think they offer us anything

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35057 on: March 06, 2023, 01:34:10 PM »
I admit that there is a part of me that wants to do this to the PAC, because they tried to do it to us...and it's been done to us by others.  It's like I just want to take it all out on the PAC.  Just sitting on the PAC's chest, sobbing, while we pummel its skull in well past its death. ESPN and Fox just pulling us finally pulling us off saying "ITS GONNA BE OK!"
Yes.  I share this same fantasy. 

It's like in fight club when edward norton beats the piss out of jared leto.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35058 on: March 06, 2023, 01:54:27 PM »

I don't think any of them do, including Washington and Oregon, I'd rather the Pac 12 stay together. However if we end up taking some schools, they've first on my list, Utah second because they offer the Holy War.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35059 on: March 06, 2023, 02:00:19 PM »
I wish I knew how set the conference was on either having or not having divisions.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35060 on: March 06, 2023, 02:02:05 PM »

I don't think any of them do, including Washington and Oregon, I'd rather the Pac 12 stay together. However if we end up taking some schools, they've first on my list, Utah second because they offer the Holy War.
I do think the Big 12 wins to some degree if the Pac 12 dies.  Something to be said for Big 12 being the clear next best option behind the Big 10 and SEC when the ACC GOR expires. 

And if we can get a killshot on a conference that could threaten K-State's position someday (like they threatened it in the wake of OU/UT leaving), I'd like to see it done. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35061 on: March 06, 2023, 02:47:13 PM »

I do think the Big 12 wins to some degree if the Pac 12 dies.  Something to be said for Big 12 being the clear next best option behind the Big 10 and SEC when the ACC GOR expires. 

And if we can get a killshot on a conference that could threaten K-State's position someday (like they threatened it in the wake of OU/UT leaving), I'd like to see it done.

Win what? Internet clout?  K-State absolutely doesn't win with a contraction of what are the current power 5 schools. If contraction happens now, it's not going to stop. Money and power in the sport will continue to centralize until college football is working under the English Premier League model.  You want K-State to win? We need to be expanding peers, not losing them.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35062 on: March 06, 2023, 03:41:36 PM »

Win what? Internet clout?  K-State absolutely doesn't win with a contraction of what are the current power 5 schools. If contraction happens now, it's not going to stop. Money and power in the sport will continue to centralize until college football is working under the English Premier League model.  You want K-State to win? We need to be expanding peers, not losing them.
I disagree. I think we have to kill them if we can, and not just because of the eye for an eye retribution (tho I lust for that). 

In the long haul, the fewer comparable opponents we have for TV deals and access to the playoff the better.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35063 on: March 06, 2023, 03:52:01 PM »

I disagree. I think we have to kill them if we can, and not just because of the eye for an eye retribution (tho I lust for that). 

In the long haul, the fewer comparable opponents we have for TV deals and access to the playoff the better.

You think it's gonna stop with Washington State and Oregon State?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35064 on: March 06, 2023, 03:53:18 PM »
I think we should offer the $100 million we are getting from OU and Texas to help FSU and Clemson buy out of their deal and come to the Big 12. Forget about these west coast schools.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35065 on: March 06, 2023, 04:43:43 PM »

What will stop?  P5 programs getting dropped from major conferences?

I think a conference has to die for a P5 program to get dropped.  K-State is safe as long as the B12 is and the B12 is safer adding more P5 schools that the B10 and SEC don't want.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35066 on: March 06, 2023, 09:31:00 PM »

What will stop?  P5 programs getting dropped from major conferences?

I think a conference has to die for a P5 program to get dropped.  K-State is safe as long as the B12 is and the B12 is safer adding more P5 schools that the B10 and SEC don't want.

Exactly. K-State is safe until the Big 10 and SEC decide they want to expand to two 24 team conferences and ESPN and Fox decide they don't want or need any inventory beyond that. It seems far fetched, but did even a year ago so did the Pac 12 losing members then not being able to find a over the air media deal.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35067 on: March 07, 2023, 07:31:59 AM »
How does keeping the pac 12 alive and healthy benefit kstate in the 48 team “p2” paradigm?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35068 on: March 07, 2023, 08:34:50 AM »
If you lose the Pac 12, their fans and alumni will stop watching college athletics on television. It shrinks the overall pot of money (of which they get only a very small share, apparently) for everyone.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35069 on: March 07, 2023, 08:42:53 AM »
How does keeping the pac 12 alive and healthy benefit kstate in the 48 team “p2” paradigm?

It doesn't start the precedence of excluding long term members of the club and disregarding entire regions of the country. Y'all keep focusing on Big 12 vs. Pac 12, I can't stop thinking about K-State's place in college athletics with increased inclusivity.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35070 on: March 07, 2023, 09:06:33 AM »

It doesn't start the precedence of excluding long term members of the club and disregarding entire regions of the country. Y'all keep focusing on Big 12 vs. Pac 12, I can't stop thinking about K-State's place in college athletics with increased inclusivity.
The precedence already started though, right?  Or maybe I'm confused by what you mean by "the club." 

If we pluck 4 Pac schools, the Pac will survive in the same frankenstein way the Big 12 did after other conferences took half our league.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35071 on: March 07, 2023, 12:09:42 PM »
This is sports.  It's the toy isle.  This isn't equity and fairness on fundamental aspects of human rights and liberty.   I don't think we need to do anything beyond what other conferences have done, in terms of "looking out for others" (which is to say do almost nothing). 

If we can better secure our position, do it.  Kill or be killed.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35072 on: March 07, 2023, 12:50:52 PM »

The precedence already started though, right?  Or maybe I'm confused by what you mean by "the club." 

If we pluck 4 Pac schools, the Pac will survive in the same frankenstein way the Big 12 did after other conferences took half our league.

I don't share the same sentiment that it will, especially if Stanford and Cal either go independent or decide to go non scholarship with sports.

I think the geographical isolation of the Pac 12 makes them more vulnerable than the Big 12. I think if Washington State and Oregon State are left to take on the entire Mountain West conference, they will lost their autonomy five status.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35073 on: March 07, 2023, 12:54:41 PM »
Yeah, Frankenstein is actually a decent analogy, because the Pac is going to end up out in the cold, shivering and dying of pneumonia, wishing it had made better decisions, just like Frankenstein did.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35074 on: March 07, 2023, 01:19:04 PM »
Never read that book