Author Topic: Israel - Hamas peace process  (Read 55907 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Israel - Hamas peace process
« Reply #375 on: August 07, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
Mark me in the camp that is upset we give billions of dollars in military aid to Israel.

There probably wouldn't be an Israel without it.

Yea, so?

Thank you, HitlerisInnocent.
I mean, not thinking that the Jewish people should have their own state in the Middle East carved out and propped up by the Western Powers is in no way the same as advocating for their genocide.

I like how you shaved off the ends of your mustache but left the middle.  :thumbs:
:dubious:

I'm just teasing.  :D   :cheers:

Oh hey, like what you've done with the showers.   :thumbs:

( :D :D)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 19, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »
While the White House has everyone looking the other direction.....

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4560337,00.html

Heavy barrage of rockets fired at Tel Aviv area, southern Israel

Hamas says it fired 40 rockets, claims responsibility for firing M-75 and Fajr-5 rockets at central Israel, J-80 missile at Ben Gurion Airport.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
Is anyone else confused about what exactly was accomplished by all of this from either side's perspective?

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.612637

Without a formal discussion, without a vote, in laconic telephone updates with members of the security cabinet – that is how the government of Israel under Benjamin Netanyahu in August 2014 approved a cease-fire agreement with a terror organization. The same Benjamin Netanyahu who ran for election five years ago, after Operation Cast Lead, on the platform that the mission had not been accomplished, that Hamas rule had to be destroyed and that he was the only one who could do it.

Netanyahu's conduct during the 50 days of fighting in Gaza highlighted the gap between his statements and promises and the reality. The prime minister, who was the most strident in his statement against Hamas, ended the confrontation with the organization in the weakest position. All he wanted was to achieve a cease-fire at just about any price. When the opportunity came, he simply grabbed it and ran.

The Egyptian cease-fire proposal that Israel accepted on Tuesday did not deliver a single achievement. The only thing that the prime minister's spokesmen could boast about on Tuesday was the denial of achievements to Hamas, such as the dissolution of its demands for a sea port, an airport and salary payments. But all those demands will be raised during the negotiations with Hamas that will resume in Cairo next week.

In return for unlimited quiet, Israel agreed to immediately open the border crossings with Gaza to humanitarian aid and to extend the fishing zone to a distance of six nautical miles. Israel also agreed to the immediate entry of construction materials for the rebuilding of Gaza, without any guarantee from either Egypt or Hamas for the establishment of a monitoring mechanism to ensure that the cement and concrete is not used for the rehabilitation of the tunnels project.

The Egyptian proposal didn't include any statement, not even a hint, regarding Israel's security demands. There was nothing about the demilitarization of the strip, the re-arming or the issue of the tunnels. When reading the thin Egyptian document to which Benjamin Netanyahu agreed, John Kerry's draft – which was rejected by the cabinet with a disdain that bordered on humiliation of the secretary of state – suddenly looks like the proposal of the year.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
Is anyone else confused about what exactly was accomplished by all of this from either side's perspective?

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.612637

Without a formal discussion, without a vote, in laconic telephone updates with members of the security cabinet – that is how the government of Israel under Benjamin Netanyahu in August 2014 approved a cease-fire agreement with a terror organization. The same Benjamin Netanyahu who ran for election five years ago, after Operation Cast Lead, on the platform that the mission had not been accomplished, that Hamas rule had to be destroyed and that he was the only one who could do it.

Netanyahu's conduct during the 50 days of fighting in Gaza highlighted the gap between his statements and promises and the reality. The prime minister, who was the most strident in his statement against Hamas, ended the confrontation with the organization in the weakest position. All he wanted was to achieve a cease-fire at just about any price. When the opportunity came, he simply grabbed it and ran.

The Egyptian cease-fire proposal that Israel accepted on Tuesday did not deliver a single achievement. The only thing that the prime minister's spokesmen could boast about on Tuesday was the denial of achievements to Hamas, such as the dissolution of its demands for a sea port, an airport and salary payments. But all those demands will be raised during the negotiations with Hamas that will resume in Cairo next week.

In return for unlimited quiet, Israel agreed to immediately open the border crossings with Gaza to humanitarian aid and to extend the fishing zone to a distance of six nautical miles. Israel also agreed to the immediate entry of construction materials for the rebuilding of Gaza, without any guarantee from either Egypt or Hamas for the establishment of a monitoring mechanism to ensure that the cement and concrete is not used for the rehabilitation of the tunnels project.

The Egyptian proposal didn't include any statement, not even a hint, regarding Israel's security demands. There was nothing about the demilitarization of the strip, the re-arming or the issue of the tunnels. When reading the thin Egyptian document to which Benjamin Netanyahu agreed, John Kerry's draft – which was rejected by the cabinet with a disdain that bordered on humiliation of the secretary of state – suddenly looks like the proposal of the year.

I think more people question Israel's motives than previously.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
At least they destroyed the tunnels.  Also got rid of a bunch of ordinance nearing expiration date.

Sent using Tapatalk Elite on iPhone 6

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 29, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 29, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »
It does look like the same girl. :surprised:

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 29, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
It does look like the same girl. :surprised:

I don't think it is.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
wrong thread, should have gone to the beheading thread. eff.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 02, 2014, 06:15:37 AM »
There was a vice or front line about the evangelicals and their support for Israel

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 02, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
82% of white evangelicals think Israel was given to the Jewish people by God compared to 40% of Jews. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/03/more-white-evangelicals-than-american-jews-say-god-gave-israel-to-the-jewish-people/#utm_content=bufferff131&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That's interesting, but a little misleading.  "White evangelical Protestant" is a much narrower demographic than "Jew" (or even the broadened "deist Jew").

"Net Jewish" at 40% versus "US general public" at 44% probably provides a more accurate big picture (especially given the 28/11 difference in atheism)

I think the 82/38 difference between W/E/P and Catholic is more interesting.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:47:10 AM by felix rex »
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 02, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »
The 2% of Christians who don't believe in God at all would be an interesting group.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 11, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 14, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »
http://n.pr/1NVcphL

This article does an excellent job of explaining the failed strategic thinking of Netanyahu and the Israeli right wing.  They have painted themselves in to such a corner that now Palestinians openly root for them to win their elections because it increases their own leverage.  The settlements continuously make a two-state solution less and less viable.  Rejecting a two-state solution as Netanyahu and Likud statements suggest is the new vision, leaves few options for a Jewish, democratic state. 

Apartheid, ethnic cleansing or the death of Zionism seem more likely than ever.  Netanyahu looks less than a sure thing in the elections and the Israeli parliament is as fractured as ever, so the coalition will likely be unable to address this looming disaster.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
Well that's a pretty big bummer
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 14, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »
The guy wanting a one-state solution was interesting.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 14, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »
Yeah it is Israels biggest nightmare.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 14, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »
 It was just the first time I'd heard it really discussed. I would think Palestinians completely wiping them out would be worse but I can see why they wouldn't like a "rainbow state"

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 14, 2015, 10:50:14 AM »
It was just the first time I'd heard it really discussed. I would think Palestinians completely wiping them out would be worse but I can see why they wouldn't like a "rainbow state"

Realistic nightmare.  I mean Iran, Hamas, ISIS etc. are obviously far above it.  But the end of a democratic, Jewish homeland is pretty bad.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 14, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
Yeah.

Can you question the wisdom of Zionism without being anti-Semitic? I mean, I would have welcomed the diaspora to the US with open arms 100 years ago. It just doesn't seem like the creation of modern Israel was a very good idea with the luxury of hindsight.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 16, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »
Well this seems problematic to the peace process:

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/16/8226413/netanyahu-palestinian-state

"I think that anyone who is going to establish a Palestinian state today and evacuate lands, is giving attack grounds to the radical Islam against the state of Israel," Netanyahu said (per the New York Times). "Anyone who ignores this is sticking his head in the sand. The left does this time and time again. We are realistic and understand."

According to the Times, Netanyahu left little room for confusion:

Asked if he meant that a Palestinian state would not be established if he were to continue as Israel's prime minister, Mr. Netanyahu replied: "Correct."

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 16, 2015, 07:11:15 PM »
The 2% of Christians who don't believe in God at all would be an interesting group.

K-S-U puts Obama into that group.