Author Topic: Apple  (Read 36996 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Apple
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
I'd love to have an iPhone, BTW.  But there's no way in hell I'm shelling out that kind of dough for a logo.
don't shell out the dough for an iphone, just tape your mp3 player to the back of this, it's the exact same thing

If this is a serious suggestion, I'll have you know that I actually do prefer to carry a media player independently.  That way, I don't run down the battery on my phone and web browser when I listen to pirated music that other people are forced to buy from iTunes.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2010, 10:49:22 AM »
my iphone is the only apple product that i own.   :dunno:

this thread screams of a few people trying to be rebels by hating things that are popular.  if you weren't so jealous of the iphone, you wouldn't have 4 pages of trying to invalidate it.   :lol:

My EVO 4G and I are laughing at you. Heartily.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »
I'd love to have an iPhone, BTW.  But there's no way in hell I'm shelling out that kind of dough for a logo.
don't shell out the dough for an iphone, just tape your mp3 player to the back of this, it's the exact same thing

If this is a serious suggestion, I'll have you know that I actually do prefer to carry a media player independently.  That way, I don't run down the battery on my phone and web browser when I listen to pirated music that other people are forced to buy from iTunes.

huh?  :confused:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »

huh?  :confused:

I wasn't the one who hounded you about embellishing!

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »
They rarely develop anything new. They push existing ideas and technologies into a realm of mass consumption and success.

i dont see how this is a bad thing. like you are mad because they took existing stuff and made it into something people like?

I never said it was a bad thing. It's not like I'm not giving them any credit at all. The only thing that is grinding my gears is people that think Apple discovered gravity, or created the sun. Or "applications"....

Those people are pretty rare.  For every asava, there's 10 pissclamses/michigancats.

I'm not taking a census. I was replying to asava. A direct quote from him taken in context.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »
my iphone is the only apple product that i own.   :dunno:

this thread screams of a few people trying to be rebels by hating things that are popular.  if you weren't so jealous of the iphone, you wouldn't have 4 pages of trying to invalidate it.   :lol:

You're comparing to something that hasn't even been released to the public to something that has been on the market for almost 3 years?  And you're trying to say the product on the market for 3 years ago isn't a big deal?

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2010, 12:23:52 PM »
I'm not taking a census. I was replying to asava. A direct quote from him taken in my own context.

fyp.

also, srsly. lol.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:26:30 PM by asava »

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »
my iphone is the only apple product that i own.   :dunno:

this thread screams of a few people trying to be rebels by hating things that are popular.  if you weren't so jealous of the iphone, you wouldn't have 4 pages of trying to invalidate it.   :lol:

You're comparing to something that hasn't even been released to the public to something that has been on the market for almost 3 years?  And you're trying to say the product on the market for 3 years ago isn't a big deal?

When did I say the iPhone wasn't a big deal? I said earlier that it greatly accelerated the smartphone market in the U.S. Without the iPhone, the EVO wouldn't be sitting on the desk in front of me at the moment.

Also, the EVO 4G reference was only directed toward the "jealous of the iPhone" comment. 3 years ago, OKCat would have been correct.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »
When did I say the iPhone wasn't a big deal? I said earlier that it greatly accelerated the smartphone market in the U.S. Without the iPhone, the EVO wouldn't be sitting on the desk in front of me at the moment.

Also, the EVO 4G reference was only directed toward the "jealous of the iPhone" comment. 3 years ago, OKCat would have been correct.

Yeah, you really didn't.  You just seemed to be taking chum's and ew2x4's side, and I assumed all those arguments are yours.

And more accurately, 2(?) months ago, OKCat would have been correct.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »
As for your post above: yikes. There is no argument on the "definition of an app;" it's set in stone. "App" is just short for "application," and again, cell phones ran applications (Java, BREW, etc.) way before Apple entered the telecom industry. This isn't debatable; it's a fact.

What Apple did that was innovative in the telecom space was to market the app store and apps themselves, in their own campaigns. Prior to this, telecom carriers left it up to the 3rd party vendors to market their own individual apps, and the carriers stuck to just marketing phones, plans, and coverage.

Once again, most of Apple's "innovation" comes in the marketing space, not the technology space.

i obviously was referring to a very specific set of apps, and a very specific marketplace.

Wow, so your whole point is that Apple invented the iPhone App Store and ability to create iPhone apps to go in it?

Um, congrats?

that was exactly my point. thank you for finally understanding.

again this is a narrow view of the complete picture. you are selling the whole scheme of things short.

Most hilarious post of this thread.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »
apple invented applications and stores. stores have never existed before apple. ever. applications never existed before apple. evar.

The funny/sad part is that you actually believed this about 2 hours ago, and are backpedaling so fast you might trip over your power cord. But don't worry, I'm sure your power cord is magnetically connected to your PC so it'll just pop right outta there, no harm done!

Second best.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
And more accurately, 2(?) months ago, OKCat would have been correct.

No.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »

stunz

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html

iphone is cool, but its pretty rough ridin' annoying when some things that should work on it, don't.  will get something else next time.  used to have a macbook as well, such a pos computer.

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2010, 09:08:59 PM »
How people think that Apple is any less evil than the typical evil company is beyond me.  Jobs is seriously delusional.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »
Of course Apple is the new Evil Empire.  It was Microsoft, but that didn't stop me from using Windows for years and years.  I finally got an iBook in 2006 and haven't used a PC hardly at all since then.  The hardware and software are just better on the Mac.  I don't give a crap about games, so I have little use for Windows.  I just run VirtualBox or Remote Desktop in the few times I need it for something.

People hate Apple because they are successful.  You see this in all sorts of things--music, movies, politics, etc.  Every successful person or entity has its detractors. 

As far as phones go--I had an Android and it sucked.  I mean it's alright now that the hardware has somewhat caught up with the iPhone 3Gs.  The graphics processor alone makes a huge difference.  But when it comes to the experience of owning one, the App Store just blows away the few things available on Android Market. 

Android is fine for people who need Verizon, but you're paying the same amount as I am and you don't have access to the App Store.  Apple figured out what any successful company figures out--you want to own the platform.  Nintendo figured this out in the 80s, Microsoft in the 90s, now Apple in the mobile market. 

Besides, chicks think guys with iPhones are more attractive. http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/21/54-of-women-more-likely-to-date-men-with-iphones-says-iphone-retailer/ 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2010, 12:34:03 AM »
Of course Apple is the new Evil Empire.  It was Microsoft, but that didn't stop me from using Windows for years and years.  I finally got an iBook in 2006 and haven't used a PC hardly at all since then.  The hardware and software are just better on the Mac.  I don't give a crap about games, so I have little use for Windows.  I just run VirtualBox or Remote Desktop in the few times I need it for something.

People hate Apple because they are successful.  You see this in all sorts of things--music, movies, politics, etc.  Every successful person or entity has its detractors. 

As far as phones go--I had an Android and it sucked.  I mean it's alright now that the hardware has somewhat caught up with the iPhone 3Gs.  The graphics processor alone makes a huge difference.  But when it comes to the experience of owning one, the App Store just blows away the few things available on Android Market. 

Android is fine for people who need Verizon, but you're paying the same amount as I am and you don't have access to the App Store.  Apple figured out what any successful company figures out--you want to own the platform.  Nintendo figured this out in the 80s, Microsoft in the 90s, now Apple in the mobile market. 

Besides, chicks think guys with iPhones are more attractive. http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/21/54-of-women-more-likely-to-date-men-with-iphones-says-iphone-retailer/ 

Maybe correct...but the Android side...is the future...imo.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »
Of course Apple is the new Evil Empire.

They've always been evil.  In spite of that, they have a reputation that they're not.

Haters!  Like with Fitz, right?  I don't dislike Microsoft or Google.  They're both as successful as Apple.  They're just not phony like Apple.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2010, 03:41:21 AM »
Hating Apple has nothing to do with being successful. It has to do with DRM, Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) control over what programs they allow, forcing such a closed platform, being asshats who unlawfully raid a journalist's house, pushing products with less power, less features, and less capability as "magical" and "revolutionary", etc. etc. etc.

And you may have been asleep the past several months, because phones out now make the 3GS look like a Zach Morris handset in terms of hardware.

As for your comment about hardware and software being better, don't kid yourself. Better to you is simple and easy. You're obviously not talking about the most capable, the most powerful, the most flexible, the most affordable, the most upgradeable, the most open, etc. Because Apple falls into none of those categories in hardware nor software.

stunz

« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2010, 03:59:17 AM »
The hardware and software are just better on the Mac.

heh.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2010, 01:14:26 PM »

:flush:

stunz

« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2010, 02:57:27 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2010, 06:41:15 AM »
This is pertinent because it talks about Apple getting demolished.

in the first three months of 2010, Android captured 28% of the smartphone market, while Apple's iPhone grabbed only 21%...Blackberry (RIMM) still leads the pack with 36% of the smartphone market

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/05/10/android-demolishing-iphone-in-sales/