Author Topic: software engineers  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
software engineers
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
Sounds like being a software engineer sucks.

I'm a software engineer.  It is well-known and not disputed by anyone who works in the field that the most effective professional programmers can be thousands of times more productive than the least effective.  If this seems unlikely, keep in mind that one programmer who writes a lot of bugs that other programmers have to fix actually has negative productivity, and it can be hard to figure this out until after the damage is done.  I used to teach classes for professional programmers, and even among my students, this was easy to observe.

I am not aware of a single organization anywhere–not even here in Silicon Valley–that has come close to a pay scale where programmers' pay varies by even one order of magnitude, and certainly not three.  In fact, what we tend to do is lay off and refuse to consider hiring anybody over 35.  The reason often given is that they demand more money.

This makes sense in a way.  If you can't tell who is good, you should hire whoever is cheap.  Measuring programmer effectiveness is really hard.

A good programmer will solve a problem in fewer lines of code and take less time to do it than someone else.  So counting lines of code or hours spent doesn't work.  Counting bugs not found also doesn't work--other programmers, upon seeing an elegant solution, all agree that it's exactly how they would have solved it, and are blind to the rejected alternatives and the problems that would have arisen.  More than once, when I have gotten something finished on time and it works without needing a lot of bug fixing, I've been told that's because it was an "easy" problem.  Meanwhile, the team that misses the deadline and spends a week of all-nighters is rewarded for their obvious dedication and hard work.  The good programmer who just solves the problem may not even be aware at how difficult the problem would be for some of their colleagues.

Within a company, you develop a reputation and people see your work.  But the code you write is a trade secret, and you can't easily take it with you.  Whether you're good or bad, nobody who wants to hire you can see a complex version of your work.  They can try weeding you out by making you write code on a whiteboard, but that's sort of like asking a pianist to hum for an audition.

The brilliant thing the Indian outsourcing industry did was to throw out the idea of programmers needing to be the best.  (I don't mean to insult Indian software engineers--some are as good as anybody else, but just by sheer numbers, it's safe to say that most would have chosen another line of work if they had as many other opportunities as Americans do.)  They realized that if you can hire a lot of mediocre programmers in India, you can quote a low hourly rate, and even if it takes 20 times the effort, it doesn't matter if the cost is about the same and the delivery is predictable.  And it's a lot easier to predict how long it's going to take 20 programmers to do something than to tell if the one guy you hired is at the top of the field or the bottom.  With the 20 average programmers, it might take twice as long.  With one programmer, it might take 1/20th of the time of the average team or it might take 100 times as long.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: software engineers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »
Yeah, but just think of all the tail those guys pull.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »
The ones that are good aren't happy people.  The ones that suck are pretty happy.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
it is as it should be, the majority of it takes place overseas at very low rates that americans can't be bothered with.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »
PC Load Letter?  WTF does that mean?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 03:51:15 PM »
I am a software engineer

It is a field with an extremely high number of high paying jobs available. The outsourcing stuff is bullshit, most of those are just low end programmer positions.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 08:27:41 PM »
I have a friend (from Halifax, you don't even know) that develops software from home, and travels around the country working from pretty much anywhere.  Think Colorado, Bay Area, Oregon, etc.  Works in comfy clothing, distributes elite emawness nationwide.

technology.  :party:  go cats.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 02:18:55 AM »
I have a friend (from Halifax, you don't even know) that develops software from home, and travels around the country working from pretty much anywhere.  Think Colorado, Bay Area, Oregon, etc.  Works in comfy clothing, distributes elite emawness nationwide.

technology.  :party:  go cats.

Guessing he has lots of time to make awesome PakHead photoshops.  Sounds like he's living the life.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 03:04:26 AM »
I am a software engineer

It is a field with an extremely high number of high paying jobs available. The outsourcing stuff is bullshit, most of those are just low end programmer positions.

check back when you are middle aged (re: point of the article)

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
Guessing he has lots of time to make awesome PakHead photoshops.  Sounds like he's living the life.

Except for the "lots of time" part.  Guy has been awol lately.  Needs to get with the program.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »
I am a software engineer

check back when you are middle aged (re: point of the article)

He is bitching that good programmers don't get paid 1000 times more than bad/mediocre programmers (which get paid good).

Also, I would refute his claim about > 35. No legitimate company will hire a recent college grad for any SE I, SE II, architect, or designer role.

I know, I really took the bait on this thread.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:42:53 AM »
Sounds like being a software engineer sucks.

I'm a software engineer.  It is well-known and not disputed by anyone who works in the field that the most effective professional programmers can be thousands of times more productive than the least effective.  If this seems unlikely, keep in mind that one programmer who writes a lot of bugs that other programmers have to fix actually has negative productivity, and it can be hard to figure this out until after the damage is done.  I used to teach classes for professional programmers, and even among my students, this was easy to observe.

I am not aware of a single organization anywhere–not even here in Silicon Valley–that has come close to a pay scale where programmers' pay varies by even one order of magnitude, and certainly not three.  In fact, what we tend to do is lay off and refuse to consider hiring anybody over 35.  The reason often given is that they demand more money.

This makes sense in a way.  If you can't tell who is good, you should hire whoever is cheap.  Measuring programmer effectiveness is really hard.

A good programmer will solve a problem in fewer lines of code and take less time to do it than someone else.  So counting lines of code or hours spent doesn't work.  Counting bugs not found also doesn't work--other programmers, upon seeing an elegant solution, all agree that it's exactly how they would have solved it, and are blind to the rejected alternatives and the problems that would have arisen.  More than once, when I have gotten something finished on time and it works without needing a lot of bug fixing, I've been told that's because it was an "easy" problem.  Meanwhile, the team that misses the deadline and spends a week of all-nighters is rewarded for their obvious dedication and hard work.  The good programmer who just solves the problem may not even be aware at how difficult the problem would be for some of their colleagues.

Within a company, you develop a reputation and people see your work.  But the code you write is a trade secret, and you can't easily take it with you.  Whether you're good or bad, nobody who wants to hire you can see a complex version of your work.  They can try weeding you out by making you write code on a whiteboard, but that's sort of like asking a pianist to hum for an audition.

The brilliant thing the Indian outsourcing industry did was to throw out the idea of programmers needing to be the best.  (I don't mean to insult Indian software engineers--some are as good as anybody else, but just by sheer numbers, it's safe to say that most would have chosen another line of work if they had as many other opportunities as Americans do.)  They realized that if you can hire a lot of mediocre programmers in India, you can quote a low hourly rate, and even if it takes 20 times the effort, it doesn't matter if the cost is about the same and the delivery is predictable.  And it's a lot easier to predict how long it's going to take 20 programmers to do something than to tell if the one guy you hired is at the top of the field or the bottom.  With the 20 average programmers, it might take twice as long.  With one programmer, it might take 1/20th of the time of the average team or it might take 100 times as long.

That guy works for a shitty company.

The Big Train

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
I was searching for something else and found this thread. My Canadian friend says that being a software engineer is a lot of fun! It's always something new and different and solving complex problem are fun. I agree that whoever wrote that works for a shitty company. The people you work with can make the difference. I will also say that being a software engineer is still in very high demand and it's a growing industry, even if we are moving to less people writing code.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
"software engineers" are artisanal IT dorks

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »
Functional software consulting is the real panty dropper.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 10:22:50 PM »
I am for one excited to be a software engineer all thanks to @ksu_cis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 10:23:06 PM »
And yeah the guys works for a shitty company

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »
Everyone knows that network peeps are the rock stars of the IT world.  :kstategrad:

The Big Train

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
Everyone knows that network peeps are the rock stars of the IT world.  :kstategrad:

I'd tell you a UDP joke, but you might not get it.

The Big Train

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 06:09:37 PM »
:Keke:

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »

I'd tell you a UDP joke, but you might not get it.
Get rekt nerd