Author Topic: Apple  (Read 35847 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Apple
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »

You're still ignorant and delusional. They took something that has been around long before them, spit shined and marketed it to the masses. There was no inventing. "inventing apps and app stores" is certainly not a title held for Apple. I can't believe I'm actually having this conversation. Arguing that they "invented" apps for a certain platform as a case for your Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) statement is hilarious.

apple invented applications and stores. stores have never existed before apple. ever. applications never existed before apple. evar. apple also invented the internet. they also invented lcd screens and logos. how can you be so asinine.

also

YOU'RE A Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) STATEMENT.

Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) people must not know the difference between "innovate" and "invent".

also its mentally impaired. i heard it on npr or something.

innovation is a form of invention.

innovate:
verb (used without object)
to introduce something new; make changes in anything established.
–verb (used with object)
to introduce (something new) for or as if for the first time: to innovate a computer operating system.

invent
–verb (used with object)
to originate or create as a product of one's own ingenuity, experimentation, or contrivance: to invent the telegraph.
to produce or create with the imagination: to invent a story.
to make up or fabricate (something fictitious or false): to invent excuses.

by your standard invention is the creation of something out of nothing. no prior knowledge, no precedent. creating something new is invention.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »
As for your post above: yikes. There is no argument on the "definition of an app;" it's set in stone. "App" is just short for "application," and again, cell phones ran applications (Java, BREW, etc.) way before Apple entered the telecom industry. This isn't debatable; it's a fact.

What Apple did that was innovative in the telecom space was to market the app store and apps themselves, in their own campaigns. Prior to this, telecom carriers left it up to the 3rd party vendors to market their own individual apps, and the carriers stuck to just marketing phones, plans, and coverage.

Once again, most of Apple's "innovation" comes in the marketing space, not the technology space.

i obviously was referring to a very specific set of apps, and a very specific marketplace.

Wow, so your whole point is that Apple invented the iPhone App Store and ability to create iPhone apps to go in it?

Um, congrats?

that was exactly my point. thank you for finally understanding.

again this is a narrow view of the complete picture. you are selling the whole scheme of things short.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »

You're still ignorant and delusional. They took something that has been around long before them, spit shined and marketed it to the masses. There was no inventing. "inventing apps and app stores" is certainly not a title held for Apple. I can't believe I'm actually having this conversation. Arguing that they "invented" apps for a certain platform as a case for your Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) statement is hilarious.

apple invented applications and stores. stores have never existed before apple. ever. applications never existed before apple. evar. apple also invented the internet. they also invented lcd screens and logos. how can you be so asinine.

also

YOU'RE A Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) STATEMENT.

Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) people must not know the difference between "innovate" and "invent".

also its mentally impaired. i heard it on npr or something.

innovation is a form of invention.

innovate:
verb (used without object)
to introduce something new; make changes in anything established.
–verb (used with object)
to introduce (something new) for or as if for the first time: to innovate a computer operating system.

invent
–verb (used with object)
to originate or create as a product of one's own ingenuity, experimentation, or contrivance: to invent the telegraph.
to produce or create with the imagination: to invent a story.
to make up or fabricate (something fictitious or false): to invent excuses.

by your standard invention is the creation of something out of nothing. no prior knowledge, no precedent. creating something new is invention.

Maybe you should have looked it up before claiming apple invented them, then backtracking by using innovate. What an incredibly useless thread this has become.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
apple invented applications and stores. stores have never existed before apple. ever. applications never existed before apple. evar.

The funny/sad part is that you actually believed this about 2 hours ago, and are backpedaling so fast you might trip over your power cord. But don't worry, I'm sure your power cord is magnetically connected to your PC so it'll just pop right outta there, no harm done!

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
Maybe you should have looked it up before claiming apple invented them, then backtracking by using innovate. What an incredibly useless thread this has become.

:adored:

also not backtracking at all. innovation is a form of invention, therefore it is invention. i'm sorry i didn't write a dissertation on technological progression in order to prove my point. i just figured people would have not sucked.

apple invented applications and stores. stores have never existed before apple. ever. applications never existed before apple. evar.

The funny/sad part is that you actually believed this about 2 hours ago, and are backpedaling so fast you might trip over your power cord. But don't worry, I'm sure your power cord is magnetically connected to your PC so it'll just pop right outta there, no harm done!

yes i believe(d) that apple invented all stores.

Online 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
As computers go, Apple does some things better than any PC will ever hope to do mainly with user interaction with design and editing software. I can layout a paper with InDesign on a PC but it would suck to do so. OTOH, it would be really nice if my office Apple had anywhere near the about of power as my laptop at home (PC) that's a year older and about $500 cheaper.

iPods are all marketing. They are the most overpriced mp3s on the market. The iPhone does have some redeeming qualities to it, none of which are enough to get me to give any money to AT&T though.

I would love to hear more about Apple inventing the wheel though, cause that's a truly revolutionary device (sorry for the pun).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
How is this

Now, if you'd have said, "Apple invented a new way in which to market apps, by allowing users to create their own and publish them," then I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.

not inherently implied in this

iphone...The invention of apps, the apps store

?

you applied your own definition to apps or app store and then compared that with the portion of the apps or apps store created by apple. in that narrow scope you are correct. but the definition is not complete when looked at through the totality of what apple has created and utilized for profit. by doing this you sound like a anti-fanboy that has a limited perspective on technology.

Who else made programs accessible to the general public? Are you seriously asking this???

please see above. tia.

I own an iBook, so I'd hardly consider myself anti-Apple. I don't partake in something as stupid as "choosing sides" when it comes to brands. Some Apple products are better than their competitors' products; some are not.

As for your post above: yikes. There is no argument on the "definition of an app;" it's set in stone. "App" is just short for "application," and again, cell phones ran applications (Java, BREW, etc.) way before Apple entered the telecom industry. This isn't debatable; it's a fact.

What Apple did that was innovative in the telecom space was to market the app store and apps themselves, in their own campaigns. Prior to this, telecom carriers left it up to the 3rd party vendors to market their own individual apps, and the carriers stuck to just marketing phones, plans, and coverage.

Once again, most of Apple's "innovation" comes in the marketing space, not the technology space.
apple allowed users to manipulate and choose what applications were loaded on their phones.  apple sold users a device that belongs to the individual and apple integrated and perfected the concept of using your phone for things outside of dialing your momma for a ride home from the park.   you fugging work at sprint; you should know how many ways they've changed the industry and have those ways tattooed on your forehead by now - if nothing else, you shouldn't be arguing that all's apple has done is perfected creative marketing (although they're really good at that too).

this is still the case.  Apple isn't a telecom carrier.  AT&T is a telecom carrier.  AT&T doesn't market apps.  Apple does, Palm does, Android does, the application developers do, AT&T doesn't.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »
I'm sure we could find nifty was to construe anyone who has ever made a dime as some great innovator.  The point is really that a lot of people talk about Apple as though they regularly invent significant new technologies.  It's annoying because they don't.

Offline Christer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »
I'm sure we could find nifty was to construe anyone who has ever made a dime as some great innovator.  The point is really that a lot of people talk about Apple as though they regularly invent significant new technologies.  It's annoying because they don't.
I think the opposite is true.  For a lot of people Apple has invented new technologies.  Point to me the original iPhone, the one before Apple made theirs.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 06:56:20 PM »
The iPhone isn't a new invention because it's a little different than its predecessors.  If it was, then consistency would require that we say that almost every new phone is a new invention because they're all a little different from their predecessors.  But that seems silly.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »
The iphone is only a little different than the phones made before it?  That's not accurate, phones are only now approaching what it delivered years ago.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »
I got a "smart phone" a while before the first iPhone came out.  It had apps, IM, email, true web browser, camera, media player, and all the usual stuff.  I was like, "iPhone? BFD."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »
Lol ok, Keep fighting the good fight. 

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »
How is this

Now, if you'd have said, "Apple invented a new way in which to market apps, by allowing users to create their own and publish them," then I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.

not inherently implied in this

iphone...The invention of apps, the apps store

?

you applied your own definition to apps or app store and then compared that with the portion of the apps or apps store created by apple. in that narrow scope you are correct. but the definition is not complete when looked at through the totality of what apple has created and utilized for profit. by doing this you sound like a anti-fanboy that has a limited perspective on technology.

Who else made programs accessible to the general public? Are you seriously asking this???

please see above. tia.

I own an iBook, so I'd hardly consider myself anti-Apple. I don't partake in something as stupid as "choosing sides" when it comes to brands. Some Apple products are better than their competitors' products; some are not.

apple allowed users to manipulate and choose what applications were loaded on their phones.  apple sold users a device that belongs to the individual and apple integrated and perfected the concept of using your phone for things outside of dialing your momma for a ride home from the park.   you fugging work at sprint; you should know how many ways they've changed the industry and have those ways tattooed on your forehead by now - if nothing else, you shouldn't be arguing that all's apple has done is perfected creative marketing (although they're really good at that too).

this is still the case.  Apple isn't a telecom carrier.  AT&T is a telecom carrier.  AT&T doesn't market apps.  Apple does, Palm does, Android does, the application developers do, AT&T doesn't.

Sorry, I couldn't read your post, was distracted by Verizon's Family Locator commercial. I flipped the channel to get away from that, and lo and behold, there was Sprint advertising NFL Live!

Anyhoo, I'm well aware that in general, carriers still don't advertise apps...never said they did, if you'll read my post again. That was my point: Apple saw an opening and went for it.

I also never said marketing was the "only" innovative thing Apple has done. I said:

most of Apple's "innovation" comes in the marketing space, not the technology space

...which is true.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »
goEMAW is the apple of kstate fan sites...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »
I got a "smart phone" a while before the first iPhone came out.  It had apps, IM, email, true web browser, camera, media player, and all the usual stuff.  I was like, "iPhone? BFD."

What model was it?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »
I think the opposite is true.  For a lot of people Apple has invented new technologies.  Point to me the original iPhone, the one before Apple made theirs.

The iphone isn't a new technology. It's a collection of existing technologies that they combined together very successfully.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »

The iphone isn't a new technology. It's a collection of existing technologies that they combined together very successfully.

were you people around for everything new?

"these pies aren't anything new, its just a collection of these fruits, sugars, flours and high temperatures."

and yes the iphone is an invention. you would be an idiot to think otherwise.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 09:40:28 PM »

not new for you maybe, but definitely new to a lot of people who don't spend their spare time mashing machine code in the basements.   i'll ask again, point me in the direction of the original, non-apple iphone that worked as well as the apple iphone.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 10:11:27 PM »

not new for you maybe, but definitely new to a lot of people who don't spend their spare time mashing machine code in the basements.   i'll ask again, point me in the direction of the original, non-apple iphone that worked as well as the apple iphone.

Perspective is irrelevant. If you're unaware that 3M made the capacitive touch screen and not Apple, it's called ignorance. Apparently it's quite blissful.

As for your strawman question, that's debatable. Nothing was as simple or as pretty. There were many more powerful and capable phones, though. It depends what you mean by "worked as well".

Asava- don't be such a tard. You didn't have to witness it for it to have existed before. It doesn't mean you can make stuff up. Apple invented apps!!! gmafb.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:50 PM »
somebody made apps for the iphone before apple?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »

This is why you're an idiot.

PS. Apple doesn't make the "applications".

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 10:35:54 PM »
My bb has apps bro. Had them before Steven showed me that beer mug thingy on his Itelephone

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:23 PM »

What model was it?

Sidekick!