Author Topic: The Drinking Age Is Past Its Prime  (Read 29292 times)

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Drinking Age Is Past Its Prime
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
We should auction off a jazz band smoke sesh experience with myself and certain other gE elites at Fatty Fest.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »
Did he seriously suggest a qualifier for voting that involves owning property?  Hey, the 18th century called... Do my two slaves count as owning property?

I would support it.   :dunno:  Hell, I'd even stipulate that you have to have paid taxes to get a vote.

How 'bout this, if you pay a net positive in federal income taxes and social security, you can vote, no matter your citizenship status or age. By net positive I mean you and your employer have paid the US government more on your behalf than you and your dependents have received in direct subsidies and tax credits (not income deductions). Every July you get a voter ID card from the treasury department. When you reach retirement age, you can automatically vote.
No, you can't monetize infrastructure use, everyone uses that for free.

Why do you want the retirees voting? They are lazy, unmotivated leeches who pay in nothing.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »
Did he seriously suggest a qualifier for voting that involves owning property?  Hey, the 18th century called... Do my two slaves count as owning property?

I would support it.   :dunno:  Hell, I'd even stipulate that you have to have paid taxes to get a vote.

You get a deduction for owning property, though. That means you pay less, not more.

Can't tell if serious.  :dubious:

You understand that your taxes don't all go to the same place, right? Why would property ownership have anything at all to do with voting for federal offices?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
we've seriously got people in this thread attempting to design a modern day poll tax. wtf?

drugs.

take one too many bong rips and you completely forget high school civics.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2014, 04:35:33 PM »

You get a deduction for owning property, though. That means you pay less, not more.

You understand that your taxes don't all go to the same place, right? Why would property ownership have anything at all to do with voting for federal offices?

You understand that the deduction isn't for ownership, but for interest paid on the note, right?

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »

How 'bout this, if you pay a net positive in federal income taxes and social security, you can vote, no matter your citizenship status or age. By net positive I mean you and your employer have paid the US government more on your behalf than you and your dependents have received in direct subsidies and tax credits (not income deductions). Every July you get a voter ID card from the treasury department. When you reach retirement age, you can automatically vote.

Why do you want the retirees voting? They are lazy, unmotivated leeches who pay in nothing.

Because they have so much  WISDOM! :Yoda:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »

Maybe, but they're experienced at it so that's a net positive.

Seems we have a lot of net negatives here.  :surprised:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »

You understand that the deduction isn't for ownership, but for interest paid on the note, right?

Well, yeah. I was just generally speaking. In no case does somebody pay more taxes for owning a home. In most cases, they actually pay less.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »

Well, yeah. I was just generally speaking. In no case does somebody pay more taxes for owning a home. In most cases, they actually pay less.

I don't really care about more or less, I just care about some.  Pay some = vote.  Pay none = no vote. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »

Anyone who has purchased a good or service has paid taxes.  What is your rationale for disenfranchisement?

You're right. We'd better lower the voting age to 14.

The thing the libtards can't seem to grasp is that there's nothing sacred or empirically superior to voting at 18, versus 21 (the way it was until 1971) or any other age or non-discriminatory standard. The hysteria over "poll tax" and slavery is pretty :lol:.

It was a good idea, for example, to drop the voting age to 18 back when pretty much any eligible male was subject to the draft. We don't really have that in practice today, but it still makes perfect sense to allow people who enlist to possibly die for their country to vote. That same logic doesn't apply to the lazy (pot smoking) eternal adolescent playing video games in mom and dad's basement.

Democracy fails when a majority of the voting populous figures out (with the help of a certain political party) that it can vote itself largess from the treasury. The best way to fix this is to restrict voting to those who, as our current president is fond of saying but doesn't actually believe, have some "skin in the game" and have a certain level of experience in the real world. There's no perfect test for that, and some perfectly responsible people might be disenfranchised by any test, just as our current test likely disenfranchises some perfectly responsible people younger than 18. But in theory, you ought not be voting if you're taking from the government more than you've paid in. Politically and realistically this is impossible, but I thought we were talking wish list stuff.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »
sounds like you'd prefer an aristocracy.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »

Depends on where you live. Property taxes can be a killer.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »

Anyone who has purchased a good or service has paid taxes.  What is your rationale for disenfranchisement?

The thing the libtards can't seem to grasp is that there's nothing sacred or empirically superior to voting at 18, versus 21 (the way it was until 1971) or any other age or non-discriminatory standard. The hysteria over "poll tax" and slavery is pretty :lol:.

It was a good idea, for example, to drop the voting age to 18 back when pretty much any eligible male was subject to the draft. We don't really have that in practice today, but it still makes perfect sense to allow people who enlist to possibly die for their country to vote. That same logic doesn't apply to the lazy (pot smoking) eternal adolescent playing video games in mom and dad's basement.

Democracy fails when a majority of the voting populous figures out (with the help of a certain political party) that it can vote itself largess from the treasury. The best way to fix this is to restrict voting to those who, as our current president is fond of saying but doesn't actually believe, have some "skin in the game" and have a certain level of experience in the real world. There's no perfect test for that, and some perfectly responsible people might be disenfranchised by any test, just as our current test likely disenfranchises some perfectly responsible people younger than 18. But in theory, you ought not be voting if you're taking from the government more than you've paid in. Politically and realistically this is impossible, but I thought we were talking wish list stuff.

18 year olds aren't subject to a potential draft anymore? News to me.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »

Those people could vote then.   :D 

Obviously I"m not going to stipulate every little nuance of how I think it should work, I haven't even thought about it that much.  I just believe in the theme that a vote should be valued and earned.  Deadbeats who contribute absolutely nothing to society shouldn't be automatically awarded something valuable like a vote.  What's the percentage of the population that fits that description?  Probably very very very small.  Would the effort needed to make this change be worth any potential or perceived gains?  Probably not.  But it's just an idea, man.   :D  Honestly I think our entire tax code needs reform.  #nomoreobfuscation

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2014, 04:58:49 PM »

Obviously I"m not going to stipulate every little nuance of how I think it should work, I haven't even thought about it that much.  I just believe in the theme that a vote should be valued and earned.  Deadbeats who contribute absolutely nothing to society shouldn't be automatically awarded something valuable like a vote.  What's the percentage of the population that fits that description?  Probably very very very small.  Would the effort needed to make this change be worth any potential or perceived gains?  Probably not.  But it's just an idea, man.   :D  Honestly I think our entire tax code needs reform.  #nomoreobfuscation

What percentage of the population that fits that description actually takes the time to vote in your estimation? It's well under 20% in my experience.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »

Because they have so much  WISDOM! :Yoda:

Wisdom's a gift, but I'd trade it for youth.  Age is an honour; it's still not the truth.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »

Males still have to register for selective service in order to vote. The draft doesn't not exist anymore, it's just not used.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »

What percentage of the population that fits that description actually takes the time to vote in your estimation? It's well under 20% in my experience.

No idea.  I don't commune with those losers.  :D

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »
we've seriously got people in this thread attempting to design a modern day poll tax. wtf?

drugs.

take one too many bong rips and you completely forget high school civics.

I remember at least one lesson in civics class even after several bong rips.

Quote from: Ben Franklin
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic

We're already there. Trying to save you morons from yourselves.

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
Soon they will be taxing the very air we breathe, so this hole debate is pointless. Time to put this shameful bickering by the wayside, guys. Don't worry about the R's and the D's. Worry about the U's and the Me's.
GET WELL SOON RANDY!

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Soon they will be taxing the very air we breathe, so this hole debate is pointless. Time to put this shameful bickering by the wayside, guys. Don't worry about the R's and the D's. Worry about the U's and the Me's.

...and Randy's

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2014, 05:11:54 PM »

Males still have to register for selective service in order to vote. The draft doesn't not exist anymore, it's just not used.

That's why I used the word "really." I know we still require registration for selective service, but out last and only draft in modern history was over 40 years ago.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
Did freedom have sex with ksu's wife? He really hates the crap out of freedom, jeez
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:27 PM »
Back on topic:  we need to lower the drinking age, cuz Europe...

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
If we are going to have an arbitrary non 18 age, it should be 19
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite