Author Topic: The Drinking Age Is Past Its Prime  (Read 29990 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Drinking Age Is Past Its Prime
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:28 PM »
Holy crap, K-S-U Wildcats hates freedom.

No, I generally like freedom, as long as it comes with accountability. I'd be more inclined to support pot legalization if I wasn't also being forced to pay for the healthcare and other entitlements for the growing number of lazy slobs that pot and other drug legalization will ultimately produce.

It's pretty simple, really. Freedom AND Accountability. Gotta have both.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »
Judging from the turn this thread took, I think I've discovered another unfortunate side effect of frequent pot use: boatloads of denial.

Denial of what?

Exactly, Ell. Exactly. Think about it.

I'm willing to bet you've done 0 research on the subject. You're basing your opinion on your small little bubble of experiences with a handful of lazy stoners. You neglect to recognize the benefits and expand on bullshit refer madness talking points like every one who smokes pot is a worthless piece of crap. I'm just glad that you and dumbasses like yourself are now in the minority with your stupid rough ridin' opinions on this subject. It's going to be legalized everywhere soon enough so deal with it. Try doing some research yourself instead of listening to that fear mongering psychopath, Nancy Grace. Have a nice day and go eff yourself.  :Flipped off x2:

:ROFL:

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »

Also, the driving age is too low. 16 year olds are rough ridin' morons.

A group of like minded students and I tried to push a law through the Kansas Legislature after 5 driving related deaths in our area in one year by young drivers.  It unfortunately died in committee. I would be curious to see what the correlation in other nations between driving age and driving licensing are in order to determine if that is a worthwhile endeavor. 

On the topic at hand. . .the article mentions how most countries in the world allow younger drinking.  Is there any proof that younger drinking age leads to more drinking responsibility?

When was this? I closely monitor all public policy discussions regarding transportation in the state of Kansas, and I've never heard of that initiative from you and your fellow enterprising young scholars.

Way back in 2002.  We made it to nationals in a community problem solving competition but failed to take the prize because it didn't make it to vote.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »
What would you say the percentage of cops are that do it? One step further, what do you think the percentage of cops that do it off of product taken from citizens?

I'd say the average cop has a lower moral threshold then the average perfectly functional professional.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »
What would you say the percentage of cops are that do it? One step further, what do you think the percentage of cops that do it off of product taken from citizens?

Training Day was a documentary about this, correct?
Confirmed. Also, plus that one movie with the cops and farva. Both true stories.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:47 PM »
If you don't know a bunch of perfectly functional professionals that smoke pot, you either don't know many ppl closely at all, or work for a church or something.

The pot smokers are lazy talking point is about as accurate as saying that liberals are stupid or republicans are heartless.

Define "a bunch."  I'd personally put the percentage of perfectly functional professionals that smoke pot regularly at less than 20%.

I am sure that it varies by profession/industry.  I know in the world of construction, designers, and education (the three industries I know many ppl in) it is pretty prevalent. 

The Big Train

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »

Confirmed. Also, plus that one movie with the cops and farva. Both true stories.

Super Troopers was also a great documentary.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
Judging from the turn this thread took, I think I've discovered another unfortunate side effect of frequent pot use: boatloads of denial.

Denial of what?

Exactly, Ell. Exactly. Think about it.

I'm willing to bet you've done 0 research on the subject. You're basing your opinion on your small little bubble of experiences with a handful of lazy stoners. You neglect to recognize the benefits and expand on bullshit refer madness talking points like every one who smokes pot is a worthless piece of crap. I'm just glad that you and dumbasses like yourself are now in the minority with your stupid rough ridin' opinions on this subject. It's going to be legalized everywhere soon enough so deal with it. Try doing some research yourself instead of listening to that fear mongering psychopath, Nancy Grace. Have a nice day and go eff yourself.  :Flipped off x2:

:thumbsup:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
If you don't know a bunch of perfectly functional professionals that smoke pot, you either don't know many ppl closely at all, or work for a church or something.

The pot smokers are lazy talking point is about as accurate as saying that liberals are stupid or republicans are heartless.

Define "a bunch."  I'd personally put the percentage of perfectly functional professionals that smoke pot regularly at less than 20%.

I am sure that it varies by profession/industry.  I know in the world of construction, designers, and education (the three industries I know many ppl in) it is pretty prevalent.

Like more than 20% you think? 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »

It might be as low as 20% in some professions where random drug testing is a concern.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

It depends on how often someone has to smoke it to be counted, but possibly, yes.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »

:thumbs: Thank you. That brain fart was driving me crazy.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
I think it's fair to say that the effect of legalizing pot is not measurable at this point.  With any substance that can change a mind state it takes experience and personal responsibility to use it.  I know plenty of people that shouldn't be allowed to drink or smoke, but that is because they don't understand moderation.  The simple fact that you can't overdose on THC by smoking marijuana already makes it safer than alcohol.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »

Also, the driving age is too low. 16 year olds are rough ridin' morons.

A group of like minded students and I tried to push a law through the Kansas Legislature after 5 driving related deaths in our area in one year by young drivers.  It unfortunately died in committee. I would be curious to see what the correlation in other nations between driving age and driving licensing are in order to determine if that is a worthwhile endeavor. 

On the topic at hand. . .the article mentions how most countries in the world allow younger drinking.  Is there any proof that younger drinking age leads to more drinking responsibility?

When was this? I closely monitor all public policy discussions regarding transportation in the state of Kansas, and I've never heard of that initiative from you and your fellow enterprising young scholars.

Way back in 2002.  We made it to nationals in a community problem solving competition but failed to take the prize because it didn't make it to vote.

That's fair.  Can't really solve any problems in the community if a bill doesn't even make it out of committee.  That's about as useful as pissing in a shoe. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »

Could it be because you have been smoking pot recently?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
I would say someone is a pot smoker if they buy it themselves for personal consumption on a regular basis.  I guarantee it's lower than 20% among the people I work with and know well enough to know if they do or not. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2014, 03:43:26 PM »

Could it be because you have been smoking pot recently?
More than likely. Did it for the first time last weekend in a very very long time. It was a blast. I had to have my gf drive me home from the bar. I had plans to grill out that night and it didn't turn out that well under the conditions. Everything has been a blur since.  :ROFL:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
How can you claim to be a small government conservative, and then want to increase the voting age to 30 and ban marijuana?  I mean, those things seem kind of contradictory.

That's because you're a dumbass that doesn't understand the difference between "small government conservative" and a libertarian. And simply changing the voting age is not a matter if big or small government - it's just a change in law, though raising the voting age to 30 would result in a lot fewer young naive libtards from voting, resulting in a more conservative government.

I think we shouldn't let anyone over 70 vote since they're going to die soon anyway. Then that will result in a more liberal government.

We should at least stop giving them driver's licenses.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »

No, I generally like freedom, as long as it comes with accountability. I'd be more inclined to support pot legalization if I wasn't also being forced to pay for the healthcare and other entitlements for the growing number of lazy slobs that pot and other drug legalization will ultimately produce.

What in the eff are you talking about? What #'s do you have to back up this insane claim? I bet you feel really strong about banning McDonalds and cigarettes too then huh?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
Did he seriously suggest a qualifier for voting that involves owning property?  Hey, the 18th century called... Do my two slaves count as owning property?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »
Did he seriously suggest a qualifier for voting that involves owning property?  Hey, the 18th century called... Do my two slaves count as owning property?

I would support it.   :dunno:  Hell, I'd even stipulate that you have to have paid taxes to get a vote. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:24 PM »

What in the eff are you talking about? What #'s do you have to back up this insane claim? I bet you feel really strong about banning McDonalds and cigarettes too then huh?

Actually, from the standpoint of an economist, lazy pot smokers should smoke a lot of cigarettes so that they die younger and thus consume less benefits as geriatrics. 

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »
I would say someone is a pot smoker if they buy it themselves for personal consumption on a regular basis.  I guarantee it's lower than 20% among the people I work with and know well enough to know if they do or not. 

well given that like 6% of the general population self-identify as habitual smokers on the annual health & human services survey, you've got some wiggle room to sniff these guys out

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »
I like the idea that you can't vote until you are an independent and paying your own taxes.  This seems like the most appropriate time to start being involved in government.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »

I would support it.   :dunno:  Hell, I'd even stipulate that you have to have paid taxes to get a vote.

Anyone who has purchased a good or service has paid taxes.  What is your rationale for disenfranchisement?