Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1239367 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #12225 on: August 08, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »
Started on community, very enjoyable! I had never seen a single episode and thought all the main cast were teachers, man I was so wrong.

it's been a long time but I always thought it tried too hard. Might revisit sometime. Is it on Netflix?

I’ve tried 3 or 4 times and can only get through 3 episodes. Joel McHale’s character is just so hateable. Another series among a decent size number of NBC comedies that were created as a vehicle for a star main character and the main character is by far the worst part of the show.

There are numerous stars in Community.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: August 08, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »
Started on community, very enjoyable! I had never seen a single episode and thought all the main cast were teachers, man I was so wrong.

it's been a long time but I always thought it tried too hard. Might revisit sometime. Is it on Netflix?

I’ve tried 3 or 4 times and can only get through 3 episodes. Joel McHale’s character is just so hateable. Another series among a decent size number of NBC comedies that were created as a vehicle for a star main character and the main character is by far the worst part of the show.

Just like what happened with Parks & Rec, but it was created for Amy Pholer and she was by far the worst part of the show. Every time I’ve tried to start over community the majority of the episodes were Jeff being an extremely hateable shitbag. Maybe I just need to read the first season episode recaps of season 1 and jump in at season 2.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: August 08, 2020, 06:11:58 PM »

Just like what happened with Parks & Rec, but it was created for Amy Pholer and she was by far the worst part of the show. Every time I’ve tried to start over community the majority of the episodes were Jeff being an extremely hateable shitbag. Maybe I just need to read the first season episode recaps of season 1 and jump in at season 2.

First, if you don't like Parks and Rec then we won't get along on much TV programming. Second, Amy Pohler wasn't the worst part of the show. Shame on you.

Also Parks and Rec > Community

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: August 08, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »
I liked Parks & Rec. I’ve watched it thru multiple times. Animal Control is one of the ten funniest TV episodes of all time. But Leslie is the least funny character and makes the 1.5s seasons almost unwatchable until they figured her out. Same with The Office/Michael Scott & Scrubs/JD.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 06:18:45 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: August 08, 2020, 06:39:15 PM »
I liked Parks & Rec. I’ve watched it thru multiple times. Animal Control is one of the ten funniest TV episodes of all time. But Leslie is the least funny character and makes the 1.5s seasons almost unwatchable until they figured her out. Same with The Office/Michael Scott & Scrubs/JD.

So you dislike the protagonist? I can get on board with that.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: August 08, 2020, 06:47:12 PM »
Lost is the greatest first watch binge series in the world, change my mind.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: August 08, 2020, 08:29:32 PM »
i haven't gone back in a while :(

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: August 08, 2020, 09:36:55 PM »
Deadwood

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: August 08, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »

Law & Order. I didn’t start watching until 2005ish with TNT/TBS marathons. That’s the one show I wish I could erase all memories of & start over. I could watch it for hours.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:40 PM »

need to hear this scrubs/jd theory
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: August 08, 2020, 10:21:58 PM »
Twin Peaks

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: August 08, 2020, 10:36:01 PM »

Like the others, they just took the main character’s odd traits 30% too far. He’s just over the top. I’ve had this conversation with my dad multiple times because Scrubs is the only show he can still watch over & over. I think Zac Braff plays JD like he’s performing live on a stage for an audience. He over-exaggerates in every scene.

Maybe growing up I watched too many Seinfeld & Cheers reruns where the lead is the normal guy and everyone else around them is over the top. Maybe I just think it’s too hard to write a good main protagonist over 5+ seasons. I loved That 70s Show, but now I can’t stand Eric. My favorite show of the last 10 years was The Good Place and it was only 52 episodes. I also think Brooklyn 99 works because they do enough of making Jake an empathetic person to balance his main character trait of being a 12 year old.

I’ve had a lot of conversations about this topic with my dad & brothers. This is the type of stuff we talk about at holidays.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:39:02 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: August 08, 2020, 10:58:06 PM »

As it was the first show I ever binged, I agree.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: August 09, 2020, 03:30:15 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: August 09, 2020, 03:32:06 AM »
Lost is trash sorry guys

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12240 on: August 09, 2020, 03:08:00 PM »

Like the others, they just took the main character’s odd traits 30% too far. He’s just over the top. I’ve had this conversation with my dad multiple times because Scrubs is the only show he can still watch over & over. I think Zac Braff plays JD like he’s performing live on a stage for an audience. He over-exaggerates in every scene.

Maybe growing up I watched too many Seinfeld & Cheers reruns where the lead is the normal guy and everyone else around them is over the top. Maybe I just think it’s too hard to write a good main protagonist over 5+ seasons. I loved That 70s Show, but now I can’t stand Eric. My favorite show of the last 10 years was The Good Place and it was only 52 episodes. I also think Brooklyn 99 works because they do enough of making Jake an empathetic person to balance his main character trait of being a 12 year old.

I’ve had a lot of conversations about this topic with my dad & brothers. This is the type of stuff we talk about at holidays.

this is fascinating. thank you
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12241 on: August 09, 2020, 03:19:09 PM »
Have you guys watched a Netflix show by the name of 'In The Dark'?  It's pretty good.  It has that one guy from 'the office' who liked Pam when she went to New York.  But it's not like 'The Office'.  It has drugs and murder and serious stuff.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12242 on: August 09, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
Have you guys watched a Netflix show by the name of 'In The Dark'?  It's pretty good.  It has that one guy from 'the office' who liked Pam when she went to New York.  But it's not like 'The Office'.  It has drugs and murder and serious stuff.
The guy from Mad Men was in The Office?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12243 on: August 09, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »

One of them was (there were several guys on Mad Men)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12244 on: August 09, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »

Harry the TV guy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: August 15, 2020, 09:23:18 AM »
Watched the first episode of Ted Lasso.  An incredibly terrible rip off of Major League.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12246 on: August 16, 2020, 09:11:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/LovecraftHBO/status/1286707717915258881

This has my attention.

First episode was good. I'm still not sure what I'm getting myself into, though.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #12247 on: August 16, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »
Watching Bloodline again with IPA GF. Man, I missed a ton the first time or I forgot things. Enjoying the second time through it as much as the first time.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12248 on: August 16, 2020, 10:20:09 PM »
I remember binging it when netflix was mailing dvd's.. soo good.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12249 on: August 16, 2020, 10:43:29 PM »
I remember binging it when netflix was mailing dvd's.. soo good.
also MASH is such an enjoyable first watch.. it's kinda the office of the 80's though & once you get to know the characters you just love the crap out of it