Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1259636 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #12275 on: August 19, 2020, 02:17:23 PM »
I might just continue on with West Wing and come back to Umbrella Academy after i finish it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: August 19, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »
I am a big fan of HP Lovecraft short stories, and also a sucker for historical set pieces, and the first episode of Lovecraft Country delivers.

I was a little skeptical given that HP Lovecraft was a huge racist and the setting is 1950's black america, but the execution was good.  It has great show runners, is well shot and I am hoping they keep up the quality. While it is definitely weird and more direct in to some of the reveals (don't want to spoil) than I thought it might be, I liked the first episode a lot!  Going to watch!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: August 19, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »
All you new Cardi B people should watch the entire L&HH franchise from the beginning.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12278 on: August 19, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »
I am a big fan of HP Lovecraft short stories, and also a sucker for historical set pieces, and the first episode of Lovecraft Country delivers.

I was a little skeptical given that HP Lovecraft was a huge racist and the setting is 1950's black america, but the execution was good.  It has great show runners, is well shot and I am hoping they keep up the quality. While it is definitely weird and more direct in to some of the reveals (don't want to spoil) than I thought it might be, I liked the first episode a lot!  Going to watch!
I read At the Mountains of Madness recently.  I didn't realize the show was connected to HP Lovecraft.  Is the cult of Cthulhu involved?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: August 19, 2020, 06:31:54 PM »

I read At the Mountains of Madness recently.  I don't realize the show was connected to HP Lovecraft.  Is the cult of Cthulhu involved?

:zip:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12280 on: August 19, 2020, 06:33:27 PM »
Goddamn it.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: August 19, 2020, 06:40:09 PM »

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: August 19, 2020, 08:51:11 PM »
Season 2 of Homecoming is so far much better than Season 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: August 24, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »
Late to the party but watched 5 episodes of Succession last night. Then, it's onto Dark.

(Somebody keep me accountable for watching Dark, it keeps slipping my mind when I have a slot for a non-comedy in my line up)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: August 24, 2020, 04:10:58 PM »
We're going to have a long damn time to catch up with old crap, as the summer ends that should end just about any scripted comedies and dramas for a while. I can't imagine there's a lot of programming being sat on that was completed in February or earlier.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12285 on: August 24, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »
We're going to have a long damn time to catch up with old crap, as the summer ends that should end just about any scripted comedies and dramas for a while. I can't imagine there's a lot of programming being sat on that was completed in February or earlier.

yeah. I feel like I'm short of comedies. I usually just want to watch something 30 minutes and funny now.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12286 on: August 24, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »
michigancat, did you watch Middleditch and Schwartz?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12287 on: August 24, 2020, 05:36:40 PM »

no but I can give it a try

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12288 on: August 24, 2020, 05:37:46 PM »
Since you're looking for comedies, it's the first one that came to mind that I thought you hadn't seen.

Offline Dr. Fausto Rindón

• Fan
    • View Profile
Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #12289 on: August 24, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
Watched the first episode of Ted Lasso.  An incredibly terrible rip off of Major League.

What’s with the Wichita State angle?  Is it a dig or am I just reading too much into it?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12290 on: August 24, 2020, 10:39:11 PM »
Watched the first episode of Ted Lasso.  An incredibly terrible rip off of Major League.

What’s with the Wichita State angle?  Is it a dig or am I just reading too much into it?
I think it was just a funny Kansas connection and not really a dig (would like to watch but probably will not)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12291 on: August 24, 2020, 10:46:48 PM »

I think it was just a funny Kansas connection and not really a dig (would like to watch but probably will not)

Kellis had a story about it today. He said Sudekis insisted it be a school in Kansas.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12292 on: August 24, 2020, 11:05:48 PM »

Kellis had a story about it today. He said Sudekis insisted it be a school in Kansas.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article245126565.html

I bet they coulda swung a Sudekis interview if they tried but oh well

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12293 on: August 25, 2020, 07:26:13 AM »
I will probably give it a try.  I've been meaning to get TV+, so might as well get my money's worth when I do.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12294 on: August 25, 2020, 09:08:30 AM »
I will probably give it a try.  I've been meaning to get TV+, so might as well get my money's worth when I do.

I mentioned this in the European soccer thread but I feel like it's my duty to watch a show about a Kansan set in Crystal Palace's stadium

do I need an apple device to get TV+? I don't own an apple device

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12295 on: August 25, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »
Like any improv, some of the bits can be hit or miss, but when they hit (and they do most of the time) they hit very hard.  I really liked it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12296 on: August 25, 2020, 09:21:22 AM »

I mentioned this in the European soccer thread but I feel like it's my duty to watch a show about a Kansan set in Crystal Palace's stadium

You get Apple TV+ on Firestick and Roku.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12297 on: August 25, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »

I have heard from a friend who works in the industry in CA that a lot of shows have been filming new seasons in small bubbles.  So hopefully we get some new stuff as well!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12298 on: August 25, 2020, 11:19:59 PM »

I have heard from a friend who works in the industry in CA that a lot of shows have been filming new seasons in small bubbles.  So hopefully we get some new stuff as well!

Nice!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12299 on: August 26, 2020, 07:19:04 AM »

I watched over half of the episodes last night.  I thought it was fun, and charming.  Sedakis does a great job, though some may not like his western accent in it. A lot of fun characters.