Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1239756 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #12050 on: May 08, 2020, 01:29:46 PM »
I enjoyed Midnight Gospel

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12051 on: May 08, 2020, 01:36:26 PM »
I recently started watching True Blood.  It's enjoyable so far.  I highly recommend this show to anyone who falls in that meaty Venn diagram intersection of people who like vampires and like tits and ass.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12052 on: May 08, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »
I recently started watching True Blood.  It's enjoyable so far.  I highly recommend this show to anyone who falls in that meaty Venn diagram intersection of people who like vampires and like tits and ass.

Oh man, I hope you check back in with the later seasons

But yeah, the first few are a good time. I actually named my dog sookie because I was watching this when I got her  :Carl:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12053 on: May 08, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »
The first 2 seasons were good.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12054 on: May 09, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »

Oh man, I hope you check back in with the later seasons

But yeah, the first few are a good time. I actually named my dog sookie because I was watching this when I got her  :Carl:

I loved that series.  The book series is also fantastic, but departs from the show massively.  You wouldn't have any spoilers by watching the show.  I really recommend the books too.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12055 on: May 09, 2020, 11:33:44 AM »
I resisted Dave because I didn't really care for Lil Dicky but watched it based on the recommendations from this blog and it is really good!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12056 on: May 12, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »
Not going to check to see if this was mentioned in another thread but the May 10 epi of Last Week Tonight featured a guy in KS who makes those limestone rock things people put in their yards/gardens and HEYO THAT MAN IS A FAN OF DA QATZ!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12057 on: May 12, 2020, 10:09:20 AM »
The grass is greener under my wiener.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12058 on: May 12, 2020, 11:11:13 AM »
Just started Shameless a few weeks ago.  Damn I wish I had been watching from the beginning. 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12059 on: May 12, 2020, 01:56:03 PM »
burned thru outer banks, enjoyed very much

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12060 on: May 12, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »
kingdom was severely dope

korean period political action drama + zombies

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12061 on: May 12, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
Same. Got kind of hokie at the end of Season 1, but will take right now.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12062 on: May 12, 2020, 05:06:07 PM »
in my rational brain i was like "i shouldn't be enjoying this so much. quarantine has lowered my standards." yet. the fact remains, a week ago today i had never even heard of the show and by saturday night we had watched the entire first season. so. this is my life now.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12063 on: May 18, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
So, Killing Eve is rough ridin' terrible now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12064 on: May 18, 2020, 09:22:43 AM »
So, Killing Eve is rough ridin' terrible now.

too bad, that first season was SO GOOD. I guess Phoebe Waller-Bridge stopped writing after season 1.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12065 on: May 22, 2020, 02:45:42 PM »
A series on Amazon called homecoming starring Julia roberts obviously sounds horrible but don't judge a book by it's cover  :th_twocents:

It's directed by the Mr robot guy so it's very Mr roboty in style and a very good cast.

based on a podcast of the same name starring David Schwimmer and Catherine Keener.   I was kind of suprised they didn't reprise their roles.

Just about finished with Season 1. I've been very pleased. Easy to binge too. Based on the reviews for Season 2, I'm going to watch some other shows first.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12066 on: May 22, 2020, 03:46:57 PM »
I have enjoyed "The Great" on Hulu.  It's not meant to be historically accurate (and is actually wildly inaccurate in strange seemingly pointless ways...like Peter's dad wasn't really Peter the Great).  It's very fun, and very irreverent. Lots of people doing it and getting mumped up and killing people.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12067 on: May 22, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
A series on Amazon called homecoming starring Julia roberts obviously sounds horrible but don't judge a book by it's cover  :th_twocents:

It's directed by the Mr robot guy so it's very Mr roboty in style and a very good cast.

based on a podcast of the same name starring David Schwimmer and Catherine Keener.   I was kind of suprised they didn't reprise their roles.

Just about finished with Season 1. I've been very pleased. Easy to binge too. Based on the reviews for Season 2, I'm going to watch some other shows first.

I thought it was a major snoozefest. 

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12068 on: May 22, 2020, 05:44:29 PM »
Binging homeland right now, should I abound on ship after season 3?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12069 on: May 23, 2020, 12:25:56 AM »
no, seemed like people loved to hate on it but i honestly liked it (we started like a year ago and caught up for finale).  some seemed to love the Brody storyline stuff from first couple of seasons and get annoyed by “generic brown bad guy of the season” arcs but I loved the character development past the initial couple

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12070 on: May 23, 2020, 12:32:19 AM »
I thought it got briefly better after a certain character got dumped
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12071 on: May 24, 2020, 10:42:25 PM »
Insecure is rough ridin' amazing, you whites are missing out.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12072 on: May 27, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
Watched two finales tonight. First I watched Better Call Saul, the second was The Plot Against America. This really drove home for me how mediocre Better Call Saul actually is. I know comparing anyone or anything to a David Simon project is completely unfair, but man watching those back to back was a contrast on how very little I've gotten out of BCS with the five year investment. The only character who has developed, at all, is Kim and I get no pleasure essentially watching her devolve. There was value having her as the moral string holding this together. I raised this question during the first season, and the fact that I'm asking it after the fifth is damning. Isn't this show much more enjoyable if you watched and liked Breaking Bad? I don't get how this holds up as great without that crutch.

The Plot Against America was a ride. The only reason I watched after episode 1 was because of David Simon. I knew it would pick up, come together, and make perfect sense. The characters were all great and the story was fantastic. I think this was my first historical fiction show, Treme kinda fits but not really, and I liked it. My only beef with the show is that Simon could have been more subtle with what he was illustrating with the show. This didn't have some coincidental parallels with our current political environment, it was just a straight dollar for dollar rip off of some of the things we argue about now. This was most apparent with the election day scene that wraps up the show. I guess when he's only working with five hours instead of several seasons, there isn't much time for subtlety. Anyway, it's pretty obvious this show is going to get a lot of Emmy nominations.

The last episodes take away any doubt about the statement he's making. Frankly, following him on twitter, I'm surprised it took him four years to make a show that expressed this sentiment.

The only thing I can't figure out, and it's an important piece of this, is the parallel of the rabbi. Maybe the rabbi character is a red herring?

I just finished this last night, really enjoyed it, but it's rough ridin' heavy.  As a Joco white dude I've got it pretty easy, though my wife is Jewish, so watching that hit home a little bit sort of.

My thought on the Rabbi is that it parallels the religious right as a whole hitching their wagons to DJT and MAGA?  For the rabbi he sold his people out to the nazis for personal power and prestige, the religious right sold out to MAGA for the anti-abortion judges.  Or it could be just a parallel to any one of numerous grifters who compromised themselves to be in the Trump orbit.  Just an idea, have you thought about it more?  I haven't read any internet theories on it or anything.
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12073 on: May 27, 2020, 01:58:50 PM »
Watched two finales tonight. First I watched Better Call Saul, the second was The Plot Against America. This really drove home for me how mediocre Better Call Saul actually is. I know comparing anyone or anything to a David Simon project is completely unfair, but man watching those back to back was a contrast on how very little I've gotten out of BCS with the five year investment. The only character who has developed, at all, is Kim and I get no pleasure essentially watching her devolve. There was value having her as the moral string holding this together. I raised this question during the first season, and the fact that I'm asking it after the fifth is damning. Isn't this show much more enjoyable if you watched and liked Breaking Bad? I don't get how this holds up as great without that crutch.

The Plot Against America was a ride. The only reason I watched after episode 1 was because of David Simon. I knew it would pick up, come together, and make perfect sense. The characters were all great and the story was fantastic. I think this was my first historical fiction show, Treme kinda fits but not really, and I liked it. My only beef with the show is that Simon could have been more subtle with what he was illustrating with the show. This didn't have some coincidental parallels with our current political environment, it was just a straight dollar for dollar rip off of some of the things we argue about now. This was most apparent with the election day scene that wraps up the show. I guess when he's only working with five hours instead of several seasons, there isn't much time for subtlety. Anyway, it's pretty obvious this show is going to get a lot of Emmy nominations.

The last episodes take away any doubt about the statement he's making. Frankly, following him on twitter, I'm surprised it took him four years to make a show that expressed this sentiment.

The only thing I can't figure out, and it's an important piece of this, is the parallel of the rabbi. Maybe the rabbi character is a red herring?

I just finished this last night, really enjoyed it, but it's rough ridin' heavy.  As a Joco white dude I've got it pretty easy, though my wife is Jewish, so watching that hit home a little bit sort of.

My thought on the Rabbi is that it parallels the religious right as a whole hitching their wagons to DJT and MAGA?  For the rabbi he sold his people out to the nazis for personal power and prestige, the religious right sold out to MAGA for the anti-abortion judges.  Or it could be just a parallel to any one of numerous grifters who compromised themselves to be in the Trump orbit.  Just an idea, have you thought about it more?  I haven't read any internet theories on it or anything.

After this I discovered David Simon's podcast about the show, even though the podcast was plugged at the end of the episode. Any of you that watched the series absolutely must listen to the podcast. You'll get great value from them although you've finished the series. Simon gives amazing input on the series and the book, and it's a very easy listen.

Long story short, the Rabbi isn't a parallel with anything having to do with MAGA.

Here's my pocket cast link, just search the case against America to listen on whatever platform you use.

https://pca.st/podcast/80b18c60-43d3-0138-9757-0acc26574db2

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12074 on: May 27, 2020, 02:12:26 PM »
Great, thanks! Will listen
:adios: