Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1240357 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #12000 on: April 12, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
The Plot Against America is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: April 17, 2020, 07:33:46 AM »
john teach me how to dougie just blew this thread wide open with that timely post

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: April 17, 2020, 08:18:01 AM »
Dave continues to be a masterpiece. He should ask for a billion dollars for season 2. I freaking love this guy so much.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: April 17, 2020, 08:36:21 AM »
Watched the first 3 tales from the loop on Amazon. I really like it. Pretty similar to black mirror but more subdued and focuses on more unexplained phenomena than actual future tech.

Anthology series?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: April 17, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »
Watched the first 3 tales from the loop on Amazon. I really like it. Pretty similar to black mirror but more subdued and focuses on more unexplained phenomena than actual future tech.

Anthology series?

No, but kind of. It's all set in one small town and each episode focuses on a story for a different person/small group, but there is a little interaction with with other characters. Like first episode is a mom, second is her son, third is the girl the son is crushing on.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: April 17, 2020, 12:22:05 PM »
Dave continues to be a masterpiece. He should ask for a billion dollars for season 2. I freaking love this guy so much.

Seriously one of the best premiere seasons (especially in comedy) I've ever seen.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: April 17, 2020, 09:45:13 PM »

Anthology series?

No, but kind of. It's all set in one small town and each episode focuses on a story for a different person/small group, but there is a little interaction with with other characters. Like first episode is a mom, second is her son, third is the girl the son is crushing on.

I had to look him up on IMDB but Maestrus Lewis, aka the spiritual advisor of Winterfell opens episode one.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: April 18, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »

Seriously one of the best premiere seasons (especially in comedy) I've ever seen.
:cheers: He’s so funny/creative.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: April 18, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »

Anthology series?

I had to look him up on IMDB but Maestrus Lewis, aka the spiritual advisor of Winterfell opens episode one.

No, it's the high sparrow dude

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: April 20, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »
#blackaf? Anybody?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: April 22, 2020, 04:47:31 AM »
Watched two finales tonight. First I watched Better Call Saul, the second was The Plot Against America. This really drove home for me how mediocre Better Call Saul actually is. I know comparing anyone or anything to a David Simon project is completely unfair, but man watching those back to back was a contrast on how very little I've gotten out of BCS with the five year investment. The only character who has developed, at all, is Kim and I get no pleasure essentially watching her devolve. There was value having her as the moral string holding this together. I raised this question during the first season, and the fact that I'm asking it after the fifth is damning. Isn't this show much more enjoyable if you watched and liked Breaking Bad? I don't get how this holds up as great without that crutch.

The Plot Against America was a ride. The only reason I watched after episode 1 was because of David Simon. I knew it would pick up, come together, and make perfect sense. The characters were all great and the story was fantastic. I think this was my first historical fiction show, Treme kinda fits but not really, and I liked it. My only beef with the show is that Simon could have been more subtle with what he was illustrating with the show. This didn't have some coincidental parallels with our current political environment, it was just a straight dollar for dollar rip off of some of the things we argue about now. This was most apparent with the election day scene that wraps up the show. I guess when he's only working with five hours instead of several seasons, there isn't much time for subtlety. Anyway, it's pretty obvious this show is going to get a lot of Emmy nominations.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: April 22, 2020, 07:46:20 AM »
Watched two finales tonight. First I watched Better Call Saul, the second was The Plot Against America. This really drove home for me how mediocre Better Call Saul actually is. I know comparing anyone or anything to a David Simon project is completely unfair, but man watching those back to back was a contrast on how very little I've gotten out of BCS with the five year investment. The only character who has developed, at all, is Kim and I get no pleasure essentially watching her devolve. There was value having her as the moral string holding this together. I raised this question during the first season, and the fact that I'm asking it after the fifth is damning. Isn't this show much more enjoyable if you watched and liked Breaking Bad? I don't get how this holds up as great without that crutch.

The Plot Against America was a ride. The only reason I watched after episode 1 was because of David Simon. I knew it would pick up, come together, and make perfect sense. The characters were all great and the story was fantastic. I think this was my first historical fiction show, Treme kinda fits but not really, and I liked it. My only beef with the show is that Simon could have been more subtle with what he was illustrating with the show. This didn't have some coincidental parallels with our current political environment, it was just a straight dollar for dollar rip off of some of the things we argue about now. This was most apparent with the election day scene that wraps up the show. I guess when he's only working with five hours instead of several seasons, there isn't much time for subtlety. Anyway, it's pretty obvious this show is going to get a lot of Emmy nominations.

Since Ep1 I've wanted to ask someone who has read the book if Simon was playing up the modern parallels or if it was part of the original story. I agree that I wish it was a little more subtle. Still need to watch the last two episodes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: April 22, 2020, 10:23:28 AM »
The last episodes take away any doubt about the statement he's making. Frankly, following him on twitter, I'm surprised it took him four years to make a show that expressed this sentiment.

The only thing I can't figure out, and it's an important piece of this, is the parallel of the rabbi. Maybe the rabbi character is a red herring?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: April 22, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »
Been rewatching the Wire. I still like season 2 a lot, but I think season 3 is probably the best season. I don’t know if I will make it through 4-5 with the kids (the kids/school story line is very good) but with the awful newspaper storyline.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12015 on: April 22, 2020, 08:20:07 PM »
Bosch season 6 is out? Hell yeah!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: April 22, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
Oh man watching Kim's Convenience again on Netflix. Perfect lighthearted comedy. Try it. You won't regret!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12017 on: April 23, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »
Oh man watching Kim's Convenience again on Netflix. Perfect lighthearted comedy. Try it. You won't regret!

I enjoy it.  Agree, not a whole lot to it but better than most sitcoms

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: April 23, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
Difficult People: very funny!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12019 on: April 23, 2020, 09:54:36 AM »
The last episodes take away any doubt about the statement he's making. Frankly, following him on twitter, I'm surprised it took him four years to make a show that expressed this sentiment.

The only thing I can't figure out, and it's an important piece of this, is the parallel of the rabbi. Maybe the rabbi character is a red herring?

I was curious where they were going with that character. Up until the last episode he seemed about 80/20 "unwavering faith that everything i'm doing is good" vs "oh crap..." but then the last episode with his tin foil hat theory on the Lindbergh baby...i'm just not sure where they were going with that.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: April 23, 2020, 11:02:44 AM »
Sunderland Til I die got me last night

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: April 23, 2020, 11:59:30 AM »

Which season?

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: April 23, 2020, 12:28:08 PM »

I reinvented diarrhea. LOL

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: April 23, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »

Which season?

Started from the beginning

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: April 23, 2020, 02:42:45 PM »

I reinvented diarrhea. LOL
That was great.