Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1004414 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #12625 on: May 07, 2021, 06:27:57 AM »
https://shawneemissionpost.com/2021/04/13/the-golden-scoop-grand-opening-119027/

I wish I could bookmark posts so I can find this place next time I'm in KC

Star it on Google maps. That's my way to remind myself of places I want to try

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12626 on: May 07, 2021, 06:30:21 AM »
How long until this shitty MCI airport gets razed to the ground? Just waited half an hour for the rental car shuttle to come around, only to find a 45 minute line to check out a rental car
At least you had lots of space in the rental car center

Spring 2023. Just passed halfway and on target schedule wise. One of the best covid things is it kept me out of there for a year.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: May 07, 2021, 06:36:55 AM »
Gus’s is coming to Stanley!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12628 on: May 07, 2021, 04:10:21 PM »
jaywalking is no longer a ticketable offense in kcmo

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: May 07, 2021, 04:16:02 PM »
jaywalking is no longer a ticketable offense in kcmo

It's not even against the law right, didn't they wipe it totally off the books? Dirty bike wheels too!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12630 on: May 07, 2021, 04:42:42 PM »
I don't think what people consider jaywalking is actually illegal in very many places

in a lot of places, crossing mid-block with no crosswalk is far safer than crossing at a corner with a crosswalk because drivers are so bad.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: May 07, 2021, 04:46:49 PM »
I don't think what people consider jaywalking is actually illegal in very many places

in a lot of places, crossing mid-block with no crosswalk is far safer than crossing at a corner with a crosswalk because drivers are so bad.

xpost best to avoid all cops thread, but in Switzerland (ie., the future), you will definitely get your ass tackled for jaywalking under any circumstance. If you jaywalk around a local, they will look at you like you just murdered a child.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: May 07, 2021, 04:57:30 PM »

Very true.  In our case, these laws were all rescinded as they were being used against minority populations at a way higher rate.  Probably why they were passed in the first place.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12633 on: May 20, 2021, 12:03:11 PM »
https://www.kansascity.com/article251554573.html

Mayor Quinton Lucas, in charge of a city that has no local control over its police department, is pursuing a strategy to upend how the Kansas City Police Department is funded to give City Hall more say on how the department spends its money.

Lucas is expected to introduce two ordinances during Thursday’s City Council meeting.

“I think it finally gives the people of Kansas City some accountability of policing activities in their city,” Lucas said Thursday. “I hope it compels the police department to engage more actively in a lot of our newer approaches to violence prevention.”

TOP ARTICLES
The new ordinances come as KCPD Chief Rick Smith, whose police get more money from the city’s general fund budget than any other department, has complained that the department has been unable to bring on a new academy class since February 2020. The KCPD received $239 million in the current year budget, but police officials have been asking for more money over the last week.

KCPD is governed by the Board of Kansas City Police Commissioners, whose members are appointed by the Missouri governor, except for the mayor of Kansas City who always has a seat on the commission. The Kansas City Council has little influence over the police department aside from approving its budget.

$2 for 2 months
Subscribe for unlimited access to our website, app, eEdition and more.

CLAIM OFFER

But even in approving its budget, it has little say in how the police spend the money. Lucas said his strategy aims to give the city leadership more influence in police spending.

Lucas’ ordinances work in two steps.

The first ordinance reduces the KCPD budget by $44 million. That would result in KCPD’s budget equaling 20% of the city’s general fund revenue, which Missouri law requires as the minimum Kansas City can devote to policing.

But that doesn’t mean KCPD’s budget is actually slashed to the minimum allowed by state law.

That $44 million is reallocated to what the city calls a “Community Services and Prevention Fund.” Kansas City Manager Brian Platt and the police commissioners would then negotiate on how to spend that money.

May openings & closings in the KC area
Find out what's new: Restaurants, breweries, grocery store, coffee shops and more.

READ MORE

Lucas said his ordinances do not functionally cut the police budget — in fact, it earmarks an additional $3 million to pay for a new police academy class — but instead gives City Hall more say in how KCPD spends money.

“It does not defund; indeed, it actually increases funds, but it does create an area of I think substantial accountability that has been lacking in this city since the 1940s,” Lucas said in an interview.

Lucas said his ordinance has at least eight co-sponsors, which gives him an apparent majority to pass the ordinances.

While the Board of Police Commissioners is not bound to negotiate with City Hall on the other $44 million, Lucas said an absence of cooperation from the commissioners would mean they’re the ones cutting the police budget.

Lucas said he developed this latest strategy after seeing poor results in combating violent crime in Kansas City. Last year, the city broke a record in yearly homicides with 176.

Even with last year’s dubious distinction, Lucas said the city’s trend with homicides has been troubling over the course of his life.

“‘I’ve been alive for 36 years, and there have been about 4,500 people murdered in Kansas City,” Lucas said. “That is more than the Americans who died in the Iraq War, almost double the Americans who died in the Afghanistan War. These are traumatic numbers.”

There’s precedent for City Hall to enter into contracts with departments and outside agencies that spend the city’s tax dollars. The city has an agreement with the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority on how it spends a portion of city sales tax earmarked for transportation. It also has an agreement with VisitKC, which also receives city funding.

It’s not clear yet how police will react to Lucas’ proposal. Already this month KCPD leadership has been suggesting that the police are not adequately funded.

Smith last week published a post on his online blog that said a hiring freeze is depleting his department’s staffing.

Smith wrote that KCPD is losing more than eight officers a month due to attrition, a problem he said was compounded by the police department not having an academy class of new recruits since February 2020.

“We are down 116 officers and do not have the budget to replace them,” Smith wrote.

Two KCPD officials testified on Wednesday to the Kansas City Council’s Finance, Governance and Public Safety Committee that staffing issues have caused some police officers being dispatched to parts of the city outside their patrol zones.

Smith’s blog post said other KCPD departments are experiencing staffing shortages, too, including being down 11 positions in the crime laboratory.

There was some skepticism about Smith’s post in City Hall.

Platt, through a city spokesman, said that a member of the police department who retires from a senior rank position has a salary at or near $150,000 and can be replaced with a recruit who has a starting salary around $40,000 without requiring additional funds.

“In addition, the reductions in the KCPD budget were not only a suggestion from the police chief during the budget process but were for the most part eliminating positions in the budget that were currently unfilled,” city spokesman Chris Hernandez said in an email. “This right-sizing of the budget should have no impact on current service delivery.”

Smith’s post concluded by calling for readers to contact their city council representatives and request that KCPD get a share of the $97.5 million that Kansas City received from the American Rescue Plan Act.

Currently there are no plans to give KCPD a cut of federal funding. Lucas said the city’s policy is to avoid using one-time funds like the federal pandemic stimulus funding to support ongoing expenses.

“They would like rescue plan (funds), they are not in line to get any rescue plan funds at this current moment,” Lucas said.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12634 on: May 20, 2021, 02:25:18 PM »
good

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12635 on: May 20, 2021, 02:53:36 PM »

xpost best to avoid all cops thread, but in Switzerland (ie., the future), you will definitely get your ass tackled for jaywalking under any circumstance. If you jaywalk around a local, they will look at you like you just murdered a child.

In Germany Phil & I got yelled at for jaywalking across an empty, narrow street in a residential area at 11:30pm by 2 guys on bikes 2 blocks away.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12636 on: May 20, 2021, 04:15:20 PM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12637 on: May 31, 2021, 06:43:23 PM »
I sat next to Iowa State football coach Matt Campbell at Gram and Dunn on Friday.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: May 31, 2021, 10:15:42 PM »
I sat next to Iowa State football coach Matt Campbell at Gram and Dunn on Friday.

Did you give him a noogie and say "just playing my flood aggie bro!"

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: July 01, 2021, 09:34:48 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: July 02, 2021, 06:01:08 AM »
Thanks ICE!!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: July 02, 2021, 03:51:42 PM »
holy moly

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12643 on: July 02, 2021, 05:02:42 PM »
Let's give them more money that will fix the problem.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: July 03, 2021, 12:57:16 PM »

What's a KCMO cop make? 

1. Change union and culture.  The idea of The Thin Blue Line needs to be eradicated and individuals need to not cover up others' issues and hold people accountable. 
2. pay more money.  Get better candidates.  Have to make it worthwhile to deal with the crap cops have to deal with.
3. frequent required mental health assessment and some periodical means of addressing the crap cops have to deal with so that we don't end up with calloused sociopaths with PTSD.
4. lot more training to become a cop.  Lot more training regularly.  Weekly, monthly, whatever.  More training.  Also, better training.  How to de-escalate.

All that crap takes a lot of money. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12645 on: July 03, 2021, 05:58:09 PM »

What's a KCMO cop make? 

1. Change union and culture.  The idea of The Thin Blue Line needs to be eradicated and individuals need to not cover up others' issues and hold people accountable. 
2. pay more money.  Get better candidates.  Have to make it worthwhile to deal with the crap cops have to deal with.
3. frequent required mental health assessment and some periodical means of addressing the crap cops have to deal with so that we don't end up with calloused sociopaths with PTSD.
4. lot more training to become a cop.  Lot more training regularly.  Weekly, monthly, whatever.  More training.  Also, better training.  How to de-escalate.

Is it you that keeps on insisting that cops don't make enough money and I've debunked this several times? A 1st year KCMO cop starts at $50,000 by year 5 they're already at $75,000. That's for officers without any college at all, they pay more based on level of education. Like any other job, it absolutely doesn't work to make the salary enough where one will find the job tolerable, that's not attainable, in any career.

In addition to this you are seemingly tying how much money someone makes with their capacity of being a dickbag, and we know that isn't true and is classist.

#1 on your list has nothing to do with money. Numbers three and four can be addressed by budget tightening. The Des Moines Police Department spent $10,000 to send a single cop to training in Orlando, I'm guessing that level of wasteful spending isn't limited to Des Moines. It's absurd to think police departments don't already have enough money to get better. The KCMOPD has a budget of $240 million per year. That's almost $2.5 Billion each decade.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12646 on: July 04, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »

What's a KCMO cop make? 

Is it you that keeps on insisting that cops don't make enough money and I've debunked this several times? A 1st year KCMO cop starts at $50,000 by year 5 they're already at $75,000. That's for officers without any college at all, they pay more based on level of education. Like any other job, it absolutely doesn't work to make the salary enough where one will find the job tolerable, that's not attainable, in any career.

In addition to this you are seemingly tying how much money someone makes with their capacity of being a dickbag, and we know that isn't true and is classist.

#1 on your list has nothing to do with money. Numbers three and four can be addressed by budget tightening. The Des Moines Police Department spent $10,000 to send a single cop to training in Orlando, I'm guessing that level of wasteful spending isn't limited to Des Moines. It's absurd to think police departments don't already have enough money to get better. The KCMOPD has a budget of $240 million per year. That's almost $2.5 Billion each decade.

I haven't seen you respond to a cop post of mine yet, so :dunno:

As for salary, I stand corrected.

As far as classist goes, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect a larger pool of candidates for a job that makes more money.  Especially if that job is full of violence and drama.  They need a better hiring process to weed out assholes, they need more support to help them not become assholes, they need more training to make them more effective and not go immediately to a sitch with a gun drawn, and I stand by my union and culture comments so they can get rid of current assholes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12647 on: July 04, 2021, 06:55:02 PM »

What's a KCMO cop make? 

I haven't seen you respond to a cop post of mine yet, so :dunno:

As for salary, I stand corrected.

As far as classist goes, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect a larger pool of candidates for a job that makes more money.  Especially if that job is full of violence and drama.  They need a better hiring process to weed out assholes, they need more support to help them not become assholes, they need more training to make them more effective and not go immediately to a sitch with a gun drawn, and I stand by my union and culture comments so they can get rid of current assholes.

I agree with you with the union and assholes thing, although I'm not about busting them. The current nature of policing in America attracts the assholes, it's a self feeding monster.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12648 on: August 22, 2021, 12:38:00 PM »
Man, downtown KC construction is a crap show right now. WOOF! Zero detour signs, all major highways closed, etc. Get your crap together!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12649 on: August 22, 2021, 01:41:10 PM »
:love: