Author Topic: more than half the team will be new  (Read 12911 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
more than half the team will be new
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
so it's hard to impossible to predict how good the team can be.  but if we assume they are all more or less standard goodish three star freshmen, i don't see this team getting into the nit.

1.  gotta have a pg.  nope.
2.  gotta have three scorers/shooters.  got two, and neither of the two is a reliable scorer at the big 12 level.
3.  gotta be able to defend.  lost the best four defenders from last year.  no returning shot blocker and half the team will be new.

doesn't look like an nit team to me.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: more than half the team will be new
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:44 AM »
looks like a pile of garbage and I feel bad for our non-garbagey guys who didn't sign up for this crap

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
looks like a pile of garbage and I feel bad for our non-garbagey guys who didn't sign up for this crap

Gip and Shane  :frown:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
experience is important as well, less so when you're ultra talented, but important none the less and should be mentioned here as a possible addendum to your list

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:00:19 AM »
Shannon and Will got their wish.  It's Will's team now, results be damned.

eff Shannon.  eff Will.  eff oscar.  eff John Currie.  They deserve each other but they DO NOT deserve us.

I just hope Shane finally snaps and drops one or all of those cunts.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:07:47 AM »
Most significant off season of transition since going into 08-09.

One of the 3stars has be a real DITR, or the trio of Gip/Will/Shane must all get better. The inexperience at PG is the biggest concern, Will isn't the answer there. He can be serviceable at SG, but if will gets significant PG minutes it will likely be ugly.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
i could see this team getting into the NIT. scheduling is pretty important and if they schedule gonzaga along with a bunch of scrubs then we could go 12-1 or something in non-con and 8-10 in con. that would be NIT worthy.

i can't however imagine how someone would think that this team would be better on either side of the ball though with what they've lost coupled with the sheer volume of newcomers.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »
some say scheduling "in some respects be more important than recruiting"

these people are called losers

our HC is one

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
i can't however imagine how someone would think that this team would be better on either side of the ball though with what they've lost coupled with the sheer volume of newcomers.

:D

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »

:D

:peek:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »

One of the 3stars has be a real DITR, or the trio of Gip/Will/Shane must all get better. The inexperience at PG is the biggest concern, Will isn't the answer there. He can be serviceable at SG, but if will gets significant PG minutes it will likely be ugly.

A shooting guard who can't shoot isn't what I would call "serviceable."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »

40% in Big 12 play this year, 36% for the season. Not great, but not "can't shoot" either. We'll see how he does with more pressure next year.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »

40% in Big 12 play this year, 36% for the season. Not great, but not "can't shoot" either. We'll see how he does with more pressure next year.

in fairness, kougar might have meant "can't shoot" as in actually physically being unable and/or unwilling to shoot. like play 40 minutes in a game and not take a shot "can't shoot".

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »

in fairness, kougar might have meant "can't shoot" as in actually physically being unable and/or unwilling to shoot. like play 40 minutes in a game and not take a shot "can't shoot".

Well, he should've said "won't shoot" then. And in that case, I'd be a little more likely to concur.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »

That too. He also is woefully unable to guard most other teams' SGs, so there's that.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »

It's fine, the motion offense will resolve that.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »

After 2/23 where he went 2 of 3 at Texas:

1 of 5 vs. T Tech
0 of 1 @ Baylor
DNP    vs. TCU
2 of 3 @ OSU   (Throw up a prayer shots when the game was already over)
1 of 3 vs. Texas
0 of 3 vs. OSU
0 of 2 vs. KU
0 of 1 vs. La Salle

4 of 18 during that stretch and the 2 in Stillwater were meaningless. Couldn't defend vs. La Salle either. I know there were league games where he went 5 of 9 in but man, the way he ended the season just was atrocious.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
After 2/23 where he went 2 of 3 at Texas:

1 of 5 vs. T Tech
0 of 1 @ Baylor
DNP    vs. TCU
2 of 3 @ OSU   (Throw up a prayer shots when the game was already over)
1 of 3 vs. Texas
0 of 3 vs. OSU
0 of 2 vs. KU
0 of 1 vs. La Salle

4 of 18 during that stretch and the 2 in Stillwater were meaningless. Couldn't defend vs. La Salle either. I know there were league games where he went 5 of 9 in but man, the way he ended the season just was atrocious.

Good stuff. He's always been up and down during his career, last year had a significant up swing to even out plenty of bad shooting.

Again, I was simply making the statement that Will can be "serviceable" at SG. I think its pretty clear at least 2 of the FR guards better be able to play well; of course if next year's team is relying on Will too much it will get ugly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
constant will hate is tiresome. he's not great and never will be. we all understand that. be mad at oscar and frank for not finding someone better if you want. it's not like sg is our only position that's going to suck ballsacks next year.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
constant will hate is tiresome. he's not great and never will be. we all understand that. be mad at oscar and frank for not finding someone better if you want. it's not like sg is our only position that's going to suck ballsacks next year.

probably the suckiest of players on the media guide cover and billboards on I-70 though.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
Hey Shannon I know you're reading this thread.  Just want you to know something.

Not long after you and I meet face to face I will be arrested, and for good cause.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
10-2 + 7-11 = NIT

I think we can do it, you guys!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »

Gosh, somebody around here said that 2 years ago or so, Frankites didn't like it very much.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
10-2 + 7-11 = NIT

I think we can do it, you guys!
that is some wooly math right there, bubble watch threads are the new bracketology.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »
so it's hard to impossible to predict how good the team can be.  but if we assume they are all more or less standard goodish three star freshmen, i don't see this team getting into the nit.

1.  gotta have a pg.  nope.
2.  gotta have three scorers/shooters.  got two, and neither of the two is a reliable scorer at the big 12 level.
3.  gotta be able to defend.  lost the best four defenders from last year.  no returning shot blocker and half the team will be new.

doesn't look like an nit team to me.

On a lot of this it seems like certain individuals may be weaker than those they're replacing, but collectively they might be better.  Frank's recruits weren't desribed as good shooters.  oscar's are.  Maybe a few of them will be able to come in and hit some threes, even if none are as good as Rodney individually.  And maybe none won't be as good at pressure man defense as some of the departed players, but oscar obviously employs more of a team defense strategy.  How hard is that to learn?  Plus, we do have SOME important players returning.  It's pretty hard to imagine winning the conference one year and missing the NIT the next.