Author Topic: more than half the team will be new  (Read 12910 times)

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: more than half the team will be new
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »
so it's hard to impossible to predict how good the team can be.  but if we assume they are all more or less standard goodish three star freshmen, i don't see this team getting into the nit.

1.  gotta have a pg.  nope.
2.  gotta have three scorers/shooters.  got two, and neither of the two is a reliable scorer at the big 12 level.
3.  gotta be able to defend.  lost the best four defenders from last year.  no returning shot blocker and half the team will be new.

doesn't look like an nit team to me.

On a lot of this it seems like certain individuals may be weaker than those they're replacing, but collectively they might be better.  Frank's recruits weren't desribed as good shooters.  oscar's are.  Maybe a few of them will be able to come in and hit some threes, even if none are as good as Rodney individually.  And maybe none won't be as good at pressure man defense as some of the departed players, but oscar obviously employs more of a team defense strategy.  How hard is that to learn?  Plus, we do have SOME important players returning.  It's pretty hard to imagine winning the conference one year and missing the NIT the next.

Not exactly the same, but UK won the NC last yr and lost the first round of the NIT to the lowest NIT seed this year.  How did they do it?  Well, you see, they lost a lot of players and replaced them with a lot of new players that will eventually be playing in the NBA. 

We didn't win the NC this season, so maybe we have a chance of not creating such a disparity between this yr's achievements and next year's.   :dunno:  I mean, we may be picking up a kid with NBA potential according to Stan.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
How bad is our perimeter defense going to be next year? Too bad we don't have a shot blocker who can help out when other teams penetrate.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
so it's hard to impossible to predict how good the team can be.  but if we assume they are all more or less standard goodish three star freshmen, i don't see this team getting into the nit.

1.  gotta have a pg.  nope.
2.  gotta have three scorers/shooters.  got two, and neither of the two is a reliable scorer at the big 12 level.
3.  gotta be able to defend.  lost the best four defenders from last year.  no returning shot blocker and half the team will be new.

doesn't look like an nit team to me.

On a lot of this it seems like certain individuals may be weaker than those they're replacing, but collectively they might be better.  Frank's recruits weren't desribed as good shooters.  oscar's are.  Maybe a few of them will be able to come in and hit some threes, even if none are as good as Rodney individually.  And maybe none won't be as good at pressure man defense as some of the departed players, but oscar obviously employs more of a team defense strategy.  How hard is that to learn?  Plus, we do have SOME important players returning.  It's pretty hard to imagine winning the conference one year and missing the NIT the next.
A season like WVU or UT just had seems most likely.  Shane is really the only thing next years cat team will have that those two didn't and both had much more size than we will.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
constant will hate is tiresome. he's not great and never will be. we all understand that. be mad at oscar and frank for not finding someone better if you want. it's not like sg is our only position that's going to suck ballsacks next year.

I am mad at Frank for recruiting him (and then not recruiting over him). And I never said SG was the only position that would suck ballsacks next year.

And I'll let you know when hating on Will becomes tiresome.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 12:01:52 PM »
Not exactly the same, but UK won the NC last yr and lost the first round of the NIT to the lowest NIT seed this year.  How did they do it?  Well, you see, they lost a lot of players and replaced them with a lot of new players that will eventually be playing in the NBA. 

We didn't win the NC this season, so maybe we have a chance of not creating such a disparity between this yr's achievements and next year's.   :dunno:  I mean, we may be picking up a kid with NBA potential according to Stan.

Also, Baylor '10 (28-8, Elite 8, tied for 2nd Big 12 with us) to Baylor '11 (18-13, 7-9, 7th Big 12, no postseason).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »

Also, Baylor '10 (28-8, Elite 8, tied for 2nd Big 12 with us) to Baylor '11 (18-13, 7-9, 7th Big 12, no postseason).

hmm, maybe I'm being optimistic.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
It's also hard for me to comprehend those cases.  Because it's very unusual, which is probably the point.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »
It's also hard for me to comprehend those cases.  Because it's very unusual, which is probably the point.

I think the situation oscar has been in is very unusual.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »

I think the situation oscar has been in is very unusual.

I'm good with making no predictions of any kind.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »
What would be unusual, imo, would be losing a bunch of players(two of which being the most important on this year's team), replacing them with 2 and 3 star frosh, then making the NCAA's while relying heavily on at least two of those frosh as starters.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
We should be faster this year, So their is a chance our defensive rotations are better. Our offense is going to really drop off. We are really going have to lean on Shane and this so called NBA potential mystery recruit. Our defense and rebounding needs to be better if we want a fighting chance at a NCAA bid. I won't bet straight up on it.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
I don't believe this so called mystery recruit has anything close to nba talent.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
I don't believe this so called mystery recruit has anything close to nba talent.

Yeah, we are most likely heading for, at very least, mild disappointment with this discussion.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »

the whole thing is pretty unusual though.

kicking out a succesful head coach (frank)
replacing him with a guy that just got fired for sucking (oscar)
sophomore all conf leaving a team that just won a conf championship (angel)
going from conf champs to NIT (maybe)

"kstate! doing the unusual!"-2013/2014 emaw hoops marketing campaign

catzacker

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
constant will hate is tiresome. he's not great and never will be. we all understand that. be mad at oscar and frank for not finding someone better if you want. it's not like sg is our only position that's going to suck ballsacks next year.

I am all for being mad at a puppy for being a puppy AND being mad at the owners for not training it better or putting it down and getting a better puppy.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Who will be the late play clock guy this season after we burn thru 28 seconds of the shot clock on O?  One of the fr pgs? 

I hope Shane does a ton of work on his iso game from the top of the key, maybe watch some tape of LeBron from when he was in Cleveland

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »
I'm really looking forward to watching Gonzaga push our crap in at Intrust next year. I think I'm gonna buy a WSU Final 4 shirt just so I can wear it to that game.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »
We have a myscruit?

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »
We have a myscruit?

This what we have to rely on for a postseason tourny in '13-'14

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »
woefully unable to guard most other teams' SGs

love it, that's what keeps them coming back.  i expected a horrific to appear in the thread also, but oh well.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Most significant off season of transition since going into 08-09.

One of the 3stars has be a real DITR, or the trio of Gip/Will/Shane must all get better. The inexperience at PG is the biggest concern, Will isn't the answer there. He can be serviceable at SG, but if will gets significant PG minutes it will likely be ugly.

A shooting guard who can't shoot isn't what I would call "serviceable."

40% in Big 12 play this year, 36% for the season. Not great, but not "can't shoot" either. We'll see how he does with more pressure next year.
Does KENPOM take into account that Will only shoots when he is wide open and if he is going to be a scorer he will have to shoot when he is being guarded? Does he? Huh? DOES HE?  :tongue:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »
woefully unable to guard most other teams' SGs

love it, that's what keeps them coming back.  i expected a horrific to appear in the thread also, but oh well.

A horrific what?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
i dunno, a horrific anything.  just expected someone to at least drop at least one "horrific" in a thread when discussing Doc.

i mean, saying he's unable to guard most other teams SGs says it all, you know?  but it's the clever interjection of the word "woefully" into the sentence that really hammers home the point.

will isn't a great shooter.  will is a bad shooter.  will's shooting has been horrific. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
i dunno, a horrific anything.  just expected someone to at least drop at least one "horrific" in a thread when discussing Doc.

i mean, saying he's unable to guard most other teams SGs says it all, you know?  but it's the clever interjection of the word "woefully" into the sentence that really hammers home the point.

will isn't a great shooter.  will is a bad shooter.  will's shooting has been horrific. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
i should have mentioned williams.  i think he can score.  so you could put 3 scorers on the court, but a lineup of gippy, southie, williams and whoever the guards are would look to be a defensive nightmare.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."