Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 330852 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2275 on: February 21, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »
I think I've said this before, I've long had the thought of saving for a down payment out here and instead just use it to basically pay cash for a house in somewhere like KC instead. But haven't really been close to maxing out the tax advantage stuff until recently.

If you have rented for the past 2 years you are allowed to withdraw up to $10,000 of investment earnings from a Roth IRA with no tax or penalty for a down payment.

So you will already have part of a down payment if you really need it by maxing retirement + Roth. Having savings is fine, but holding too much cash is probably not smart unless you think the market is going to crash, in which case it is actually very smart.
We actually just moved to a larger place that costs $10k/year more than the old plaxe. We looked at how adding $10-20k to a down payment would impact monthly mortgage payments and it was laughably small so we moved.

I think I've convinced myself that we just need to pump more into tax advantaged accounts and keep renting and not hire someone.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 21, 2020, 01:17:55 PM »
and fun money, don't forget about fun money

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 21, 2020, 02:09:46 PM »
I'm thinking about hiring a financial advisor.

good grief, michigancat.  it's not complicated.  just save as much money as you possibly can.  either you'll use it when you're older or you'll give it to your children when you die.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 21, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »
Everyone's situation is different, but I'm completely against maxing out tax advantaged options. The amount I save for retirement is determined solely by maintaining standard of living. I will have more fun with extra money now than when I am retired. I have no doubt about that.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 21, 2020, 02:21:15 PM »
I’m sure California has pretty bad property taxes too.

lol, no.  but the system is set up to make the michigancats of the world subsidize the rest of us, so it's kinda fun.

incidentally, on the buying a home thing, i don't have a view on the directionality of bay area housing prices, but there's really no other investment vehicle the average american can/will use to make stupid money with little risk.  lifestyle and moving and all that should factor in, but the govt wants you to make money by owning a house and unless you think that is likely to change, you should probably take advantage.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: February 21, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
I've long had the thought of saving for a down payment out here and instead just use it to basically pay cash for a house in somewhere like KC instead.

no, that's dumb.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: February 21, 2020, 02:28:18 PM »
Everyone's situation is different, but I'm completely against maxing out tax advantaged options. The amount I save for retirement is determined solely by maintaining standard of living. I will have more fun with extra money now than when I am retired. I have no doubt about that.

:cheers:

Also I doubt I will live long past retirement, or at least I hope I won't.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 21, 2020, 02:34:39 PM »

It's a fair mindset to have, but also a good reason to at least hit your yearly max on retirement accounts when you're younger.  The money will grow exponentially, and you'll have a better shot at retiring at 59.5, which is probably quite a bit better than 65 or whatever if you want to enjoy yourself with some healthy years left.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: February 21, 2020, 02:44:09 PM »
I've long had the thought of saving for a down payment out here and instead just use it to basically pay cash for a house in somewhere like KC instead.

no, that's dumb.
Thanks for the tip

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: February 21, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »
you're welcome.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: February 21, 2020, 03:00:24 PM »
Lots of differing opinions here

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 21, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »

It's a fair mindset to have, but also a good reason to at least hit your yearly max on retirement accounts when you're younger.  The money will grow exponentially, and you'll have a better shot at retiring at 59.5, which is probably quite a bit better than 65 or whatever if you want to enjoy yourself with some healthy years left.
Nuclear war and mass plague aside, with advancements in AI and machine learning, I suspect many people will live to be over 100. That's a LONG time to go without income.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 21, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »
eff bitches. get money

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: February 21, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »
i would assume people maximizing their tax advantaged accounts are doing so because they have good jobs/make mad stacks/and are therefore, already buying whatever they want when they want anyway

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: February 21, 2020, 03:17:59 PM »
i would assume people maximizing their tax advantaged accounts are doing so because they have good jobs/make mad stacks/and are therefore, already buying whatever they want when they want anyway

I just don't want to work until I'm in my 60's and tax advantaged accounts are the most efficient way to save money.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 21, 2020, 04:20:59 PM »
i am not even close to maxing out my 401k.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: February 21, 2020, 04:29:49 PM »

Nuclear war and mass plague aside, with advancements in AI and machine learning, I suspect many people will live to be over 100. That's a LONG time to go without income.

That only sounds appealing to me if I am still mobile and healthy. Living 20 or more years in some sort of assisted living situation would be a hard nope.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 22, 2020, 12:06:12 AM »

That only sounds appealing to me if I am still mobile and healthy. Living 20 or more years in some sort of assisted living situation would be a hard nope.
Agreed, but most humans choose life when actually posed with the question. I guess if you're capable of suicide than you'll have options.

However, medicine will improve exponentially under AI. It already has in the computer age. AI can examine data to spot trends, improve research, speed diagnosis, remap dna, design new drugs, grow healthy tissue, grow cartilage, etc. The possibilities are hard to fathom.

Ive also read some believe that AI will supplement a work week. Meaning humans wont need to work 40-60 hrs per week. Some speculate govt policy would subsidize humans to offset profit increase of business. Ie you'd still make same salary but only work 15-20 hours a week.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: February 24, 2020, 08:42:04 AM »
if the standard work week went from 40 hours to 15, there is 0% chance goEMAW would survive that.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: February 24, 2020, 08:48:16 AM »
if you subscribe to the sd kk newsletter text message chain you'd know there were high level insider wallstreet types that are already making some moves to protect their assets from the inevitable bernie sanders driven market collapse.

Would like to know the super secret strategies.  Although I don't wanna mess with trying to time the market.

well you're out of luck, because that's 100% of what this is!

THE HATERS WILL SAY IT’S PHOTOSHOP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: February 24, 2020, 09:36:18 AM »
Did I predict the coronavirus?  NO

Did I predict the market crash?  YES

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: February 24, 2020, 09:43:36 AM »
So just for fun and dipping a toe into investing, I opened one of those auto-managed portfolio accounts last week.

Buy high, that's my motto
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2298 on: February 24, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
My Gf is a cash hoarder. Not a single investment account. Just a couple of savings accounts bumping the FDIC limits. Oy. All the missed compound interest makes me cry.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: February 24, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
 :sdeek: