Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 332880 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2300 on: February 24, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »
really glad i got liquid a couple of weeks ago to prepare for the down payment on this house.  dumb luck but happy to have avoided this mess.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: February 24, 2020, 01:01:23 PM »
Gonna ride it out.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: February 24, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »
I recently got the Robinhood app and a couple of weeks ago I bought 20 shares of some cheap weed stock.  It had been doing well until today so now it's cheap enough to buy some more!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: February 24, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
The coronavirus is a short term problem. This won't last more than a week or two unless there is some other underlying issue.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: February 24, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
the backdoor roth seems like a bad idea for me because of the pro rata rule. I have a lot of retirement savings in traditional IRA's already and want to buy something. :frown:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: February 24, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
buy a boat

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: February 24, 2020, 01:52:27 PM »
Midwest rental properties, hire a management company to run them.  No effort on your part after the empire is established.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: February 24, 2020, 02:14:59 PM »
Why hire a management company when the going rate for a property manager is only $28 per month?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: February 24, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »
Up your BIG TRUCK game. Isn't that what Harper Country bros do?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: February 24, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »
Why hire a management company when the going rate for a property manager is only $28 per month?
:dubious:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: February 24, 2020, 03:26:52 PM »
:dubious:
That's a reference, but I can't quite remember what to
:adios:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 24, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »
Did I predict the coronavirus?  NO

Did I predict the market crash?  YES

So did you buy?

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: February 24, 2020, 07:51:28 PM »

FYI the SP 500 is still higher than it was on Jan 31st.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: February 25, 2020, 01:23:30 PM »

FYI the SP 500 is still higher than it was on Jan 31st.

Oh I know. Long way to go.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: February 25, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »
i bought a shitload of stuff today.  kinda more than i had intended, to be honest.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: February 25, 2020, 05:21:18 PM »
what was on sale sys?  :drool:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: February 25, 2020, 07:54:30 PM »
Midwest rental properties, hire a management company to run them.  No effort on your part after the empire is established.
You always need to manage the manager, so it's never completely passive unless you're investing in something like a syndication. In any event, performance should be reviewed regularly no matter what RE type you're investing in.

But I suggested something similar many pages ago without much interest. It's not for everybody so I sort of understand. But the advantageous are very numerous over any other investment that I know of. It's done well for me, I plan to retire before I'm 40...by replacing my income, not building a nest egg. And "retire" just means quit corporate job and do what I want, when I want but I'll still need to do something. Probably continue to build real estate portfolio business. We'll see, nothing is certain.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: February 25, 2020, 09:20:25 PM »
what was on sale sys?  :drool:

i don't know that they were great buys or great prices, but i bought a lot of different stuff, largest purchases were fedex, compania cervecerias unidas and an emerging markets index etf.

not sure exactly but today's purchases were probably close to 10% of my total portfolio - more than i would have intended, but i had a bunch of limit orders that got hit.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: February 26, 2020, 07:51:14 AM »
 :Woot:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: February 26, 2020, 07:52:09 AM »
futures can't decide if we're all still panic selling or ready to panic buy. WE WAIT

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: February 26, 2020, 08:59:58 AM »
You always need to manage the manager, so it's never completely passive unless you're investing in something like a syndication. In any event, performance should be reviewed regularly no matter what RE type you're investing in.

But I suggested something similar many pages ago without much interest. It's not for everybody so I sort of understand. But the advantageous are very numerous over any other investment that I know of. It's done well for me, I plan to retire before I'm 40...by replacing my income, not building a nest egg. And "retire" just means quit corporate job and do what I want, when I want but I'll still need to do something. Probably continue to build real estate portfolio business. We'll see, nothing is certain.
Are you FIRE?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: February 26, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »
Tax nerds: good time to roll over all my post-Tax IRA stuff into a Roth? I’m thinking yes but I’m not sure if there are other potential consequences for the value of the investments themselves.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: February 26, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »

I keep thinking about the real estate angle, but I’ve never gotten confident that it would get me better than a 7% IRR if done completely passively. I like to nerd out on playing the tax game with different investment vehicles, but owning and managing property does nothing for me.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: February 26, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »

Are you FIRE?
I didn't hear that acronym until after I started planning for it, but yea I guess so.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: February 26, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »

I keep thinking about the real estate angle, but I’ve never gotten confident that it would get me better than a 7% IRR if done completely passively. I like to nerd out on playing the tax game with different investment vehicles, but owning and managing property does nothing for me.
7% IRR would be a pretty mundane deal even if paying a manager.

I have some that are managed by a manager and some that I do myself. The stuff I self manage I did a cash out refinance on a while back. Very little money left of mine into that deal. I get around 60% of my cash invest back each year. I've already returned my investment back to myself, so technically it's infinite return at this point.

The stuff I have a manager handle is still being stabilized. Some work needed done, rents raised, etc. I should get anywhere between 12-18% cash on cash return from those. However, IRR would be much higher after tax savings, principle pay down, etc.

But like I said, it's not as hands off as dropping money in the market so I know it's not for everyone. But I hate my job (and frankly it's a pretty good place to work) so I want out so bad it doesn't matter. I'll do what I have to. But I also like acquiring real estate. Not everything is perfect about it tho. But when building a business, which is what it eventually becomes if you grow, you start to hand off things you don't like to do.