Author Topic: Sunflower Showdown Part 3: For a trophy!  (Read 23608 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Sunflower Showdown Part 3: For a trophy!
« Reply #400 on: January 21, 2023, 07:52:08 AM »
I like all of Pete's ideas on this.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 21, 2023, 07:58:35 AM »
You guys could hire some mutant fake wrestler to come in and hype the crowd up before the game and at halftime, and he could say the chant wrong.  Just really awkward and crap brained, and yet still super pumped about it.  Could have a big chilling effect.

https://twitter.com/ALionEye/status/1616258430569746433

https://twitter.com/ALionEye/status/1616263383602368512

https://twitter.com/DanteFurco/status/1616237546987470848

:buh-bye:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 21, 2023, 08:12:03 AM »
As a townie high schooler and child of faculty, I would mess around on campus more than a little. Mostly pick up games at the rec. I just kinda took it for granted that all of this university stuff was at my disposal. My dad said something to me around that time that gave me a new perspective. Something like, "remember, the university is really for the students."

To me, students are gonna be students and people should keep in mind that when they go to a game, they're really on the students' turf.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 21, 2023, 08:32:40 AM »
I mean, the Rec is for students, in that you can’t just get a membership if you’re a regular old townie. (At least I don’t think you can, or you couldn’t decades ago.)  Games are totally different. It’s a public university and the games are open to — and also dependent on — the public.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 21, 2023, 08:47:29 AM »
Without students, there is no university. Without a university, there are no games.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 21, 2023, 08:58:03 AM »
I mean, the Rec is for students, in that you can’t just get a membership if you’re a regular old townie. (At least I don’t think you can, or you couldn’t decades ago.)  Games are totally different. It’s a public university and the games are open to — and also dependent on — the public.

Facility/Staff, their immediate family members, and members of the alumni association could and still can all buy memberships to the rec. When I worked there, and I'm sure this is still the case, the rec before noon was all townies and high school kids would always be there on weekend afternoons.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 21, 2023, 09:25:25 AM »
The easiest way to stop the chant is to win the NCAA, and I hope Tang makes it his life’s goal to stamp it out.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 21, 2023, 09:34:34 AM »
Without students, there is no university. Without a university, there are no games.
Without alumni, their donations and their support, there is no athletics department and pretty much no university. I'm sure Dax has more insight but pretty sure the university would struggle to exist without the private money.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 21, 2023, 09:41:56 AM »
Could also lobby the county or city to pass a $1000 fine for chanting "eff" in a public place. Have the same cops police the OOD that normally walk around Aggieville handing out MIP's.  Grab a few kids, hit them with a $1K fine.  Grab a few more each time it happens.  It will stop eventually.

Pete fwiw I'd be completely fine with summary execution as punishment for The Chant

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 21, 2023, 09:44:14 AM »
Put collars on students, it shocks you if you do the chant.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 21, 2023, 10:06:06 AM »
What if they just change the Chant to like Lets Go Brandon (Rush)!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 21, 2023, 10:23:08 AM »
What if they just change the Chant to like Lets Go Brandon (Rush)!

"Let's go Bill"(Self) has the same syllable's as "eff KU."  Might actually work.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 21, 2023, 10:26:27 AM »
Still, my favorite idea is to clear the student section, and take a technical foul for the delay of game caused by clearing the student section...or as many technical fouls as required due to the time it takes to clear the student section.  If it's 50 it's 50. 

Of course if this presents a fire hazard or safety issue, then simply forfeit the game.

WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT? WINNING GAMES OR STOPPING THIS CHAT? EACH EVERY MAN A WILDCAT MUST ASK THEMSELVES THAT!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 21, 2023, 10:33:28 AM »
Everything we have tried to dissuade the students from doing the chant has failed.  All this clutching at pearls...and zero real action.  Either people are lying about being offended about the chant (secretly loving it), or they are ineffective leaders that should themselves be removed.

Certainly the alumni and non-student fans in attendance would not object to taking this stand have their entertainment shortened for the evening when the game is forfeited. 

Take real action, or shut the eff up.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 21, 2023, 10:40:45 AM »
Everything we have tried to dissuade the students from doing the chant has failed.  All this clutching at pearls...and zero real action.  Either people are lying about being offended about the chant (secretly loving it), or they are ineffective leaders that should themselves be removed.

Certainly the alumni and non-student fans in attendance would not object to taking this stand have their entertainment shortened for the evening when the game is forfeited. 

Take real action, or shut the eff up.

Pete I think it's pretty clear we have a fanbase of freaks. Outwardly they wear purple and decry The Chant. But under that purple they're wearing latex and chains and ball gags and are pleasuring themselves whenever they hear The Chant and it's disgusting

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 21, 2023, 10:44:26 AM »
An idea I’ve been mulling over is politely asking the chanters not to be whiny little baby bitches about it and act like they’re supporting a team that is obsessed with competing for championships instead of beating one team.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 21, 2023, 10:45:04 AM »
Yep. I don’t want to read the word “should” in this thread ever again.

“oh the students should just stop.”  Only the strong stop chants (OTSC, brother).

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 21, 2023, 10:47:08 AM »
An idea I’ve been mulling over is politely asking the chanters not to be whiny little baby bitches about it and act like they’re supporting a team that is obsessed with competing for championships instead of beating one team.
I HAVE A SNEAKING SUSPENSION THAT WILL NOT WORK AND THEN YOU WILL USE THE S WORD!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 21, 2023, 10:48:32 AM »
THE W IN EMAW DOES NOT STAND FOR WHINY-$!#*!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 21, 2023, 10:53:06 AM »
I HAVE A SNEAKING SUSPENSION THAT WILL NOT WORK AND THEN YOU WILL USE THE S WORD!
I’m still workshopping it

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 21, 2023, 10:59:02 AM »
Fwiw as a licensed professional engineer who writes a lot of specs (specifications) I can tell you any engineer worth their salt does not allow the word SHOULD in their specs. The correct word is SHALL and if you're feeling especially froggy...MUST.

(I hope any other spec writers/editors read this blog post and go make their specs better if they aren't already)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 21, 2023, 11:08:50 AM »
My memory of The Chant is that it started during a timeout in a game against the squawks while sandstorm (a sarcastic nod to jersey shore’s popularity at the time) was playing and when massa seff thought it was a 30 second timeout and sent his players on the floor to stand there and be serenaded with eff KU. It was hilarious and we won and everyone was exuberant and for some time The Chant had nothing to do with basketball or squawks or anything other than calling back to that great time EMAW’s had in unison at that moment.

And then the school made a big deal about it as if it was some official tradition that needed to be regulated and it’s carried on only because of the attention it got, with the battles over it being pretty amusing and distracting from anything on the court/field.

Am I misremembering?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 21, 2023, 01:21:39 PM »
Fwiw as a licensed professional engineer who writes a lot of specs (specifications) I can tell you any engineer worth their salt does not allow the word SHOULD in their specs. The correct word is SHALL and if you're feeling especially froggy...MUST.

(I hope any other spec writers/editors read this blog post and go make their specs better if they aren't already)
The Shan't
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 21, 2023, 04:42:37 PM »
My memory of The Chant is that it started during a timeout in a game against the squawks while sandstorm (a sarcastic nod to jersey shore’s popularity at the time) was playing and when massa seff thought it was a 30 second timeout and sent his players on the floor to stand there and be serenaded with eff KU. It was hilarious and we won and everyone was exuberant and for some time The Chant had nothing to do with basketball or squawks or anything other than calling back to that great time EMAW’s had in unison at that moment.

And then the school made a big deal about it as if it was some official tradition that needed to be regulated and it’s carried on only because of the attention it got, with the battles over it being pretty amusing and distracting from anything on the court/field.

Am I misremembering?

You're remembering how it started but the university didn't start caring until it started happening when we were playing other teams, then during the wabash cannonball, then during football games against FCS schools. Basically it became an issue when it started to be as embarrassing as Missouri doing it in the middle of conference games.

It jumped the shark, thankfully Tang has shot the [redacted] in the head.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 24, 2023, 11:55:23 PM »
If Tang didn't kill any debate on the chant, certainly the Iowa State student section did.