Author Topic: Sunflower Showdown Part 3: For a trophy!  (Read 23914 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Sunflower Showdown Part 3: For a trophy!
« Reply #350 on: January 18, 2023, 01:50:42 PM »
If anything, our student section is a big reason why a coach would take this job (as stated by Tang), and a big reason to stick with the job (if you can get a kid to visit and see our wall of students along the court, it makes an impression).

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 18, 2023, 02:10:39 PM »
If anything, our student section is a big reason why a coach would take this job (as stated by Tang), and a big reason to stick with the job (if you can get a kid to visit and see our wall of students along the court, it makes an impression).

I don't understand why other teams, particularly KU, get upset about people praising the Bramlage atmosphere.  We have 30% or so of the crowd being rowdy students.  Most schools don't.  They'll consistently make more money on tickets (even against our best years) because of their ratio, but those donors can't compete with student energy.  It's comparing apples to oranges.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 18, 2023, 02:14:40 PM »
It's super easy to point at one instance like that, but there were 3-4 of very similar instances last night and none of them were called(both sides).  There were an absolute crazy amount of fouls not called last night.  If you are someone who wants all fouls called, the refs were awful.  However, they did it very evenly, imo. 

The main thing I had issue with was at the end when we had a fast break with the ball in Johnson's hands, and they stopped the play because Wilson had a slight limp on the other end of the floor.  He was on his own two feet, slight limp, they blew the whistle, limp immediately went away and he wasn't made to leave the court at all.  Some bullshit theater kid crap took away a fast break from us at the end of the game.  That made me ragey, but the rest was pretty even, imo.

I didn't have an issue with that no call on Keyonte's layup at the end of regulation. What I did have an issue with was Wilson getting 4 free throws in overtime for the same damn play. I saw Tang complaining about that too.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 18, 2023, 02:16:14 PM »
Most fun I’ve had watching KState hoops in a while. I was a junior at MHS when Beasley and co beat KU at home in 2008. Remember running through campus and by Bramlage earlier that afternoon seeing the crazy line of students waiting for entry. That was a fun game to watch and last nights matchup kind of took me back to that same feeling.

Enjoying the ride Coach Tang and this team are taking us on.

I guess I'm weird. I admittedly am not much of a basketball guy, but aside from winning and the opp to take the lead, this game was brutal. Especially the second half. Watching dudes shoot free throws for 3 hours just isn't my idea of a good time. I love coach and am really glad we won though!!!  :ksu:

I don't think it was a very well played game, definitely a rock fight, that crap happens sometimes though, it's nice to win them.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 18, 2023, 02:22:21 PM »
It's super easy to point at one instance like that, but there were 3-4 of very similar instances last night and none of them were called(both sides).  There were an absolute crazy amount of fouls not called last night.  If you are someone who wants all fouls called, the refs were awful.  However, they did it very evenly, imo. 

The main thing I had issue with was at the end when we had a fast break with the ball in Johnson's hands, and they stopped the play because Wilson had a slight limp on the other end of the floor.  He was on his own two feet, slight limp, they blew the whistle, limp immediately went away and he wasn't made to leave the court at all.  Some bullshit theater kid crap took away a fast break from us at the end of the game.  That made me ragey, but the rest was pretty even, imo.

I thought the worst call of the game was when a KU player went over the back for a put back and drew a foul call in the process. Don't remember who it was, but it was a god awful call. Also, there were so many whistles where a driving player jumped away from the basket. Weak shots like that should never draw fouls.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 18, 2023, 02:23:56 PM »

Yeah, Tang has been constant and consistent with his praise of the students. We have a good student body, like other places like KU and Iowa State, what sets us apart is where our students are located. Big Game Boomer, who was trolling as always, said we by far have the best students in America and Purdue, KU, and flood aggie fans predictably lost their crap.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 18, 2023, 02:25:40 PM »

I thought the worst call of the game was when a KU player went over the back for a put back and drew a foul call in the process. Don't remember who it was, but it was a god awful call. Also, there were so many whistles where a driving player jumped away from the basket. Weak shots like that should never draw fouls.

BayBay was called for that foul. I remember because it was seemingly the only time he was in position to get a rebound all night.

Sidebar, holy crap was he terrible last night. Woof. I like the kid, but man we're really missing N'Guessan.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 18, 2023, 02:34:13 PM »
Nguessan, Rich, Colbert, Mys Transfer should be an upgrade in post play for 2023.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 18, 2023, 02:41:24 PM »

I don't understand why other teams, particularly KU, get upset about people praising the Bramlage atmosphere.  We have 30% or so of the crowd being rowdy students.  Most schools don't.  They'll consistently make more money on tickets (even against our best years) because of their ratio, but those donors can't compete with student energy.  It's comparing apples to oranges.

It’s an advantage present at KSU that is tougher to replicate at most places. Tang thinks it needs fine-tuned both to jive with his values and convictions, but also to provide the most decided advantage. I agree with him that an joyful, exuberant crowd is more advantageous than a bitter, angry antagonistic crowd.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 18, 2023, 03:00:53 PM »

It’s an advantage present at KSU that is tougher to replicate at most places. Tang thinks it needs fine-tuned both to jive with his values and convictions, but also to provide the most decided advantage. I agree with him that an joyful, exuberant crowd is more advantageous than a bitter, angry antagonistic crowd.

In general I would agree, but I could also see the viewpoint of “I’m fine with the students being angry bc students can boo at the refs all they want and the players can’t” so even when the players would love to protest a crap call, they know the students will give them the business.

But! The constant booing at every perceived sleight is very small timey Iowa state crap, so I suppose there’s a fine line

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 18, 2023, 03:06:18 PM »

In general I would agree, but I could also see the viewpoint of “I’m fine with the students being angry bc students can boo at the refs all they want and the players can’t” so even when the players would love to protest a crap call, they know the students will give them the business.

But! The constant booing at every perceived sleight is very small timey Iowa state crap, so I suppose there’s a fine line

I can’t think of a single instance in all my years of watching bball in the OOD where rampant booing, bad vibes led to inspired play or a KSU run.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2023, 03:09:41 PM »

I can’t think of a single instance in all my years of watching bball in the OOD where rampant booing, bad vibes led to inspired play or a KSU run.

Nic my dude, do you mean to tell me you’ve never been caught in a sandstorm?

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2023, 03:12:07 PM »

Nic my dude, do you mean to tell me you’ve never been caught in a sandstorm?

That’s positive energy, regardless of the chant. Especially during game play, during a timeout.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 18, 2023, 03:47:18 PM »

He doesn't care about the students being angry.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 18, 2023, 03:59:21 PM »
I kind of like the anger at every little thing. It might not inspire better play on the court but I do think it subconsciously weighs on the refs over the course of the game.

Bill Self (and plenty of other good coaches) basically do the same thing by constantly being in the ref’s ear.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 18, 2023, 04:25:11 PM »
I kind of like the anger at every little thing. It might not inspire better play on the court but I do think it subconsciously weighs on the refs over the course of the game.

Bill Self (and plenty of other good coaches) basically do the same thing by constantly being in the ref’s ear.

The end of the OSU game was a prime example of this.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 18, 2023, 07:23:00 PM »
Shut up about the chant, this is honestly worse than the chant itself
:adios:

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 18, 2023, 07:41:31 PM »
No, it's not.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 18, 2023, 07:53:50 PM »
to sandstorm or not to sandstorm, that is the question

the chant is dumb, sandstorm is not.  no chant, sandstorm.  chant, no sandstorm.
the right thing to do for a lot of reasons, including sandstorm, is to man up and stop the chant.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 18, 2023, 08:03:48 PM »
So I'm watching the WVU student crowd chant "bad person," "bullshit" and "dumbass" throughout the game. I don't imagine Huggins is goin to lecture them

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 18, 2023, 08:03:58 PM »
I say play sandstorm and let the chips fall
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 18, 2023, 08:16:21 PM »
I say play sandstorm and let the chips fall

This is the best answer. The lack of sandstorm isn’t going to resolve anything. Play it to better the experience. The students have proven they will chant no matter what. Tang, the AD, and or  whoever need to address the chant independent of the song.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 18, 2023, 08:19:30 PM »
So I'm watching the WVU student crowd chant "bad person," "bullshit" and "dumbass" throughout the game. I don't imagine Huggins is goin to lecture them
Yeah, he’s a washed blowhard and 0-6 in league. Great observation!

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 18, 2023, 08:26:44 PM »
Shut up about the chant, this is honestly worse than the chant itself
It’s a tough conversation for some who hold it dearly, I get it, but I’d rather have consistent success with thee guy, over getting your anger out for a few hours a year. Just go see someone.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 18, 2023, 08:32:10 PM »
It’s a dumb chant!