Author Topic: Sunflower Showdown Part 3: For a trophy!  (Read 23888 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: Sunflower Showdown Part 3: For a trophy!
« Reply #550 on: February 01, 2023, 01:59:37 PM »
The best team we have had since the rebirth of KSU hoops(NCAA 2 seed, elite 8 participant) got thumped by 17 in the field house. This teams future should not be predicted using last night as a data point.
This team looked somewhat less shell-shocked than what we normally see in AFH...

Didn’t look shell-shocked at all. Just missed too many bunnies and didn’t force KU to rotate on defense. Bilas was harping on our lack of ball reversals all night, and he was right. Too many one pass or no pass possessions trying to score of first action.
I guess I considered missing a large number of bunnies as a symptom of being shellshocked. We ran some putrid half court offense. And when we did get something good to happen on offense to cut into the lead, KU would drill a three to extend the lead again.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 01, 2023, 02:02:22 PM »
The best team we have had since the rebirth of KSU hoops(NCAA 2 seed, elite 8 participant) got thumped by 17 in the field house. This teams future should not be predicted using last night as a data point.
This team looked somewhat less shell-shocked than what we normally see in AFH...

Didn’t look shell-shocked at all. Just missed too many bunnies and didn’t force KU to rotate on defense. Bilas was harping on our lack of ball reversals all night, and he was right. Too many one pass or no pass possessions trying to score of first action.

Yeah, things like want to, being rattled, etc. are always overstated because it's easier to say things like that instead of actual on court reasons for success and failure.

When Bilas was talking about reversing the court, he was right for that segment of the game, not the whole game. That was the stretch where we were getting some stops but the offense was bad because we got sped up and tried to hit a big play instead of just running the offense.

Another thing I thought was key was the amount of points KU scored off of secondary breaks and scramble plays. It looked to me that when we played them in Bramlage two weeks ago, we only committed 3 rebounders and dropped 2, with the goal of slowing their break down. Last night we crashed with 4 and rebounded much better, but it allowed KU to play much faster. We did a good job with the primary break but the secondary break absolutely killed us.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 01, 2023, 02:04:32 PM »
After looking at the box score I thought it was borderline criminal that Cam only played 19 minutes.

I though he looked good offensively, but if I were to guess I'd bet he was probably lost defensively.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 01, 2023, 02:20:42 PM »
It seemed like whenever the referees would make an awful call, we would spend the next 2 or 3 possessions doing something stupid to completely negate any run that we would go on.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 01, 2023, 02:25:47 PM »
After looking at the box score I thought it was borderline criminal that Cam only played 19 minutes.

I though he looked good offensively, but if I were to guess I'd bet he was probably lost defensively.

He’s easily our best on ball defender imo.  I figured tang thought Desi could handle the environment better under pressure.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 01, 2023, 05:35:41 PM »
It seemed like whenever the referees would make an awful call, we would spend the next 2 or 3 possessions doing something stupid to completely negate any run that we would go on.

Yes!