Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 172719 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)
« Reply #2100 on: April 29, 2021, 08:40:12 PM »
I think there are very good reasons to wait to build/remodel. Only reason to wait to buy is the lack of listings right now, which I’ve seen suggested has a lot to do with letting strangers in during a pandemic. My guess is a lot more stuff will come in the market in the next few months and prices will self regulate a bit.

I certainly wouldn’t bank on a bubble bursting in the near future unless they (FINALLY) bring interest rates back up from the crapper.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: April 29, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »

Brick last week and cabinets and flooring this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: April 29, 2021, 10:52:28 PM »
Looks great bro

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: April 29, 2021, 11:01:25 PM »
Yes looks really good. Obviously you chose correctly and invested your money in a house and not a phone because that is like flip phone level quality photo
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: April 29, 2021, 11:09:33 PM »

Brick last week and cabinets and flooring this week.

Which soulless suburb did you go with?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: April 30, 2021, 08:21:59 AM »
To those with the thought of waiting, a large part of the market is available labor.  Most contractors, of most kinds, are having a very hard time finding skilled labor right now.  I am trying to hire right now, have 104 applicants(indeed.com and craigslist) in the last two weeks, and not one has more than 1 year of experience and only 4 of them have any applicable experience.  In a company of 10 people, we have cycled through 7 guys in the last 18 months who came on with no experience, but with other construction experience, only to cycle them out for a few different reasons.  Literally every contractor in my network right now is having this problem.  On the job training is very expensive and takes a long time.  You are all paying for this now and anecdotally, this seems to be getting worse not better.

I hope the Gen Z'ers get back to thinking it's ok to find a trade.  If not, shits going to be expensive for a while.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: April 30, 2021, 08:38:32 AM »
I don't see any way zoomers go back to the trades.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: April 30, 2021, 08:53:13 AM »
Yes looks really good. Obviously you chose correctly and invested your money in a house and not a phone because that is like flip phone level quality photo

The sales guy for the builder sent me the pic.   :lol:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: April 30, 2021, 08:53:41 AM »

Celina

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: April 30, 2021, 09:42:06 AM »
To those with the thought of waiting, a large part of the market is available labor.  Most contractors, of most kinds, are having a very hard time finding skilled labor right now.  I am trying to hire right now, have 104 applicants(indeed.com and craigslist) in the last two weeks, and not one has more than 1 year of experience and only 4 of them have any applicable experience.  In a company of 10 people, we have cycled through 7 guys in the last 18 months who came on with no experience, but with other construction experience, only to cycle them out for a few different reasons.  Literally every contractor in my network right now is having this problem.  On the job training is very expensive and takes a long time.  You are all paying for this now and anecdotally, this seems to be getting worse not better.

I hope the Gen Z'ers get back to thinking it's ok to find a trade.  If not, shits going to be expensive for a while.
Yep. Realizing I should've been a freaking electrician. Also is there any job more useless than a home inspector? Guys take like a 2 day course and don't have to be licensed its honestly unreal

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: April 30, 2021, 09:42:49 AM »

Celina

Is that considered part of Oklahoma?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: April 30, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »
Electrician is definitely the cushiest trade job

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: April 30, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »

:lol:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: April 30, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »

My vagabond brother is currently working 6 days a week making $500 a day with free lodging down in the RGV building migrant detention centers. No construction experience.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: April 30, 2021, 10:53:02 AM »

My vagabond brother is currently working 6 days a week making $500 a day with free lodging down in the RGV building migrant detention centers. No construction experience.

Now add on the constant hurricane rebuilding, the rebuilding that will be needed throughout all of dumbass texas from frozen pipes, etc. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: April 30, 2021, 11:18:16 AM »

I think the best way to get zoomers into trades is to pay trades more.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: April 30, 2021, 11:27:04 AM »

Plumbers & electricians are about $80-90/hour in ole MHK

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: April 30, 2021, 11:38:49 AM »
Most contractors, of most kinds, are having a very hard time finding skilled labor right now.

immigration could solve this problem.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: April 30, 2021, 11:40:57 AM »

well, that about wraps it up.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: April 30, 2021, 11:51:24 AM »
Most contractors, of most kinds, are having a very hard time finding skilled labor right now.

immigration could solve this problem.
Yes there are two painfully obvious solutions: (1) increase the cost until it balances with demand, or (2) stop acting like the only immigrants we “need” in this country are white collar doctors/scientists/whatever.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: April 30, 2021, 12:05:07 PM »

Seems to me that the free market should be able to work this out.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: April 30, 2021, 12:35:22 PM »
i think it's more cultural than pay-based.  as yla said, a lot of construction jobs pay quite well, but there are a ton of cultural impediments that dissuade young people from pursuing those careers.  i can't think of a single person i know that was born to college-educated parents that went into a blue collar career.

but sticking to just wage/job conditions stuff - it is somewhat cyclical work, which may matter more in dissuading people from choosing to enter those fields than wages during good times.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: April 30, 2021, 12:40:56 PM »
I mumped around a lot when I was younger and worked construction because I didn't want any real responsibility. At about 30 I realized my body was already getting wrecked and I knew I didn't want to be in it for life and made a change. But sys is absolutely right, the people I worked with came from vastly different backgrounds than me and generally didn't have any other viable options. I'm very glad that I did have other options.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: April 30, 2021, 12:44:43 PM »
A lot of jobs/careers make a lot of sense and seem incredible to people not in those fields. Grass is greener as they say, except a lot of green parts of the grass are measurable so I guess maybe not the best usage.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: April 30, 2021, 01:00:55 PM »