Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 110922 times)

tdaver and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gucci Mane Book Reader
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)
« Reply #2125 on: April 30, 2021, 01:00:55 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 30, 2021, 06:43:27 PM »
i think it's more cultural than pay-based.  as yla said, a lot of construction jobs pay quite well, but there are a ton of cultural impediments that dissuade young people from pursuing those careers.  i can't think of a single person i know that was born to college-educated parents that went into a blue collar career.

it's both pay and culture. obviously the pay isn't enough to overcome the cultural challenges (plus the fact that it can be very hard on your body and sometimes dangerous). But everyone has a price. And you're right, immigration would help a lot here.

also benji's brother is an example of someone with college educated parents who has a "career" in the trades

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 30, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »
there's definitely an interplay btwn wage and cultural factors, but i think the latter has the greater impact.  and it's not just college educated careers vs construction.  from my distant view, there appear to be a lot of blue collar jobs that pay much less than construction jobs that experience fewer or no worker shortages.
"a lot of political rhetoric is picking a slice of "elites" and positioning yourselves against them."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 30, 2021, 07:55:46 PM »
there's definitely an interplay btwn wage and cultural factors, but i think the latter has the greater impact.  and it's not just college educated careers vs construction.  from my distant view, there appear to be a lot of blue collar jobs that pay much less than construction jobs that experience fewer or no worker shortages.

Are those jobs lower skilled?

Anecdotally, right now it seems like tons of blue collar jobs are shorthanded and the employers are blaming the stimulus.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 30, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
We buried my father in law today. Age 91. Career of farming and lumberyard man.  Built all 4 houses he lived in during his adult life.  Helped me finish our basement.  Specs for our barn he did for us in the farm thread.  Helped a sister in law build her house.  Every daughter and daughter in law had a hand built dry sink from him.

Oldest of 9 with 6 kids and 19 grandchildren. My wife's best memories are of them building the house they lived in on their farm.

Couldn't think of a better place to post this.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: April 30, 2021, 08:17:12 PM »
Sink pics? I bet that's pretty neat
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: April 30, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »
We buried my father in law today. Age 91. Career of farming and lumberyard man.  Built all 4 houses he lived in during his adult life.  Helped me finish our basement.  Specs for our barn he did for us in the farm thread.  Helped a sister in law build her house.  Every daughter and daughter in law had a hand built dry sink from him.

Oldest of 9 with 6 kids and 19 grandchildren. My wife's best memories are of them building the house they lived in on their farm.

Tom

What a legacy left. Sorry Tom and glad you got to know this man.

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: Today at 02:13:44 PM »

Tom

Sorry to hear this Tom.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: Today at 02:15:14 PM »
Wet spots starting to appear in grout on kitchen floor. It’s a slab house, so we’re going to have to bust out 4-6 pieces of tile to find the leak. We don’t have anymore if that tile. House is 16 years old, so I’m not finding that tile. Looks like we’re getting a new kitchen floor.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls