Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 174138 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)
« Reply #2125 on: April 30, 2021, 06:43:27 PM »
i think it's more cultural than pay-based.  as yla said, a lot of construction jobs pay quite well, but there are a ton of cultural impediments that dissuade young people from pursuing those careers.  i can't think of a single person i know that was born to college-educated parents that went into a blue collar career.

it's both pay and culture. obviously the pay isn't enough to overcome the cultural challenges (plus the fact that it can be very hard on your body and sometimes dangerous). But everyone has a price. And you're right, immigration would help a lot here.

also benji's brother is an example of someone with college educated parents who has a "career" in the trades

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 30, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »
there's definitely an interplay btwn wage and cultural factors, but i think the latter has the greater impact.  and it's not just college educated careers vs construction.  from my distant view, there appear to be a lot of blue collar jobs that pay much less than construction jobs that experience fewer or no worker shortages.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 30, 2021, 07:55:46 PM »
there's definitely an interplay btwn wage and cultural factors, but i think the latter has the greater impact.  and it's not just college educated careers vs construction.  from my distant view, there appear to be a lot of blue collar jobs that pay much less than construction jobs that experience fewer or no worker shortages.

Are those jobs lower skilled?

Anecdotally, right now it seems like tons of blue collar jobs are shorthanded and the employers are blaming the stimulus.

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 30, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
We buried my father in law today. Age 91. Career of farming and lumberyard man.  Built all 4 houses he lived in during his adult life.  Helped me finish our basement.  Specs for our barn he did for us in the farm thread.  Helped a sister in law build her house.  Every daughter and daughter in law had a hand built dry sink from him.

Oldest of 9 with 6 kids and 19 grandchildren. My wife's best memories are of them building the house they lived in on their farm.

Couldn't think of a better place to post this.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 30, 2021, 08:17:12 PM »
Sink pics? I bet that's pretty neat
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: April 30, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »
We buried my father in law today. Age 91. Career of farming and lumberyard man.  Built all 4 houses he lived in during his adult life.  Helped me finish our basement.  Specs for our barn he did for us in the farm thread.  Helped a sister in law build her house.  Every daughter and daughter in law had a hand built dry sink from him.

Oldest of 9 with 6 kids and 19 grandchildren. My wife's best memories are of them building the house they lived in on their farm.

Tom

What a legacy left. Sorry Tom and glad you got to know this man.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: May 09, 2021, 02:13:44 PM »

Tom

Sorry to hear this Tom.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: May 09, 2021, 02:15:14 PM »
Wet spots starting to appear in grout on kitchen floor. It’s a slab house, so we’re going to have to bust out 4-6 pieces of tile to find the leak. We don’t have anymore if that tile. House is 16 years old, so I’m not finding that tile. Looks like we’re getting a new kitchen floor.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: May 09, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »
Wet spots starting to appear in grout on kitchen floor. It’s a slab house, so we’re going to have to bust out 4-6 pieces of tile to find the leak. We don’t have anymore if that tile. House is 16 years old, so I’m not finding that tile. Looks like we’re getting a new kitchen floor.

If you know the manufacturer and product name, there are tile stores that keep misc old stock for these exact situations. Call around for that first. Unless you just like the idea of a new floor.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: October 10, 2021, 08:11:00 PM »
Hey @SteveDave, how do I build a house? Anybody have good links/resources for...literally the entire process?

This would be a second house out on some sweet sweet land.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: October 11, 2021, 09:30:03 AM »
1. Call a bank and get initial approval for a construction loan
2. Call contractor and tell him/her you want a house
3. Find a house plan, make one, or call an architect
4. Wait forever for your individual contractors to actually get around to your house in the next 18-24 mo
5. Move in

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: October 11, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »
4. Wait forever for your individual contractors to actually get around to your house in the next 18-24 mo
5. Move in
you forgot the part where they change their mind on what finishes they want and that delays things further and drives the cost up

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: October 11, 2021, 12:08:45 PM »
Sounds very easy and cheap. Thanks, goEMAW!

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: October 11, 2021, 10:30:41 PM »
5. Move in
you forgot the part where they change their mind on what finishes they want and that delays things further and drives the cost up
You also forgot the part where the cost of materials and market price have shot up since the process began, so the builder voids your contract a couple weeks before move-in day unless you agree to pay an additional 20% or more.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/nbc-5-responds/home-buyers-facing-higher-prices-unexpected-cancelled-contracts-in-new-home-builds/2752426/

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How much should this cost?
« Reply #2139 on: October 14, 2021, 01:48:59 PM »
called to get a bid for trenching for a line in a basement bathroom (about 4 ft section). $375. also cutting two egress windows out $375 each(not with dirt work and all of that) seems cheap AF to me though? Agreed?
It's amazing the different numbers you can get from various places.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: How much should this cost?
« Reply #2140 on: October 14, 2021, 02:46:32 PM »
called to get a bid for trenching for a line in a basement bathroom (about 4 ft section). $375. also cutting two egress windows out $375 each(not with dirt work and all of that) seems cheap AF to me though? Agreed?

So you are putting in a whole new basement bathroom or changing the layout of the bathroom?

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: October 14, 2021, 03:27:19 PM »

So you are putting in a whole new basement bathroom or changing the layout of the bathroom?
Changing layout and it currently has a wall mounted toilet which I'm not super crazy about. Finished layout change of upstairs bathroom so I figured why not be miserable again

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: October 15, 2021, 07:39:49 AM »

Beware cheap numbers. Too good to be true almost always is. Especially when it comes to breaching the water integrity of your basement wall.

I mean, pretty much anyone can own a concrete saw.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: October 15, 2021, 12:17:27 PM »
Those bids do sound fairly cheap.  Is the line itself included in that trenching bid?  I had to have my sewer line replaced a couple of years ago and IIRC the cost of the mini excavator was $90/hr on top of their normal labor of $60-70/hr.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: October 22, 2021, 09:45:50 AM »
Is this where we ask for fridge recommendations?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: October 22, 2021, 09:48:31 AM »

I have had this one for like 8 years now and like it. It makes hot water for tea or soup or whatever which is probably the only thing special about it. I cannot comment on any others because I have not owned them. I guess I owned some entry level whirlpool one in my first house which was fine.

https://www.cafeappliances.com/appliance/Cafe-ENERGY-STAR-22-1-Cu-Ft-Smart-Counter-Depth-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Hot-Water-Dispenser-CYE22TP2MS1?bvstate=pg:9/ct:r

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: October 22, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
I'm dealing with some class action settlement from buying an LG 5 years ago that already had to be replaced and nobody around Manhattan would do warranty work on.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: October 22, 2021, 10:08:06 AM »
I'm dealing with some class action settlement from buying an LG 5 years ago that already had to be replaced and nobody around Manhattan would do warranty work on.

Yeah I've kind of eliminated LG and Samsung. 

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: October 22, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »

I have had this one for like 8 years now and like it. It makes hot water for tea or soup or whatever which is probably the only thing special about it. I cannot comment on any others because I have not owned them. I guess I owned some entry level whirlpool one in my first house which was fine.

https://www.cafeappliances.com/appliance/Cafe-ENERGY-STAR-22-1-Cu-Ft-Smart-Counter-Depth-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Hot-Water-Dispenser-CYE22TP2MS1?bvstate=pg:9/ct:r

I've never heard of this Cafe brand but they are keep popping up on my searches, thanks SD!

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: October 22, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »

Yeah I've kind of eliminated LG and Samsung.

I am a big fan of LG.  I am on my third house, all LGs, never had a problem with any.  I had a whirlpool before that where the compressor went out after 3 years, had to just buy a new one.  Before buying the latest LG I did a ton of research and LG consistently has the best reviews on any site that sells them (if you take reviews as a buying requirement).  And obviously every brand is going to have a few lemons.

This is my newest one: craft ice in the freezer!  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-23-5-cu-ft-french-door-counter-depth-refrigerator-with-craft-ice-printproof-stainless-steel/6395328.p?skuId=6395328

Also, I was looking for the biggest counter depth french door with a dual ice maker.  LG fit the bill.  And, the rest of the kitchen is KitchenAid, which makes the worst fridges on the market.  Do not buy one of those.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:18:32 AM by kstate4life »