Author Topic: Another school shooting  (Read 492999 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Another school shooting
« Reply #3600 on: October 08, 2015, 12:46:03 PM »
But again, the only solution to that would be a massive effort to confiscate/buy back guns kinda like Australia tried, and that's not gonna happen. Even if it did, it would take decades to filter out guns, and most of those guns would be forfeited by law abiding people. The guns are here. The genie is out of the bottle. I suspect that solutions that focus more on prevention and mental illness might be more effective.

I really, really find the "the genie's already out of the bottle" issue to be true.  The amount of guns in this country make comparisons to other countries completely apples and oranges.  That said, if we start getting serious about ammunition, then that is negated to some degree.

Maybe, but I don't think driving up the price of ammo, through taxation or regulation, would do anything except encourage a huge black market for ammo. Think Prohibition.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: October 08, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
Libtard statists love them some unfounded bureaucracy to further their police state. Fear mongering to the masses to push gun control; they've evolved into their own Dick Cheney characiture. It's quite hilarious, and pathetic.

I would like less spying on citizens in the name of terrorism reduction. It's a far higher priority for me than gun control. To me, it's a more important right, too.

I'm sure you do. The spying thing is ostensibly working, so ditch that.

Is it?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: October 08, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
A lot of people are spending a lot of time, money, and energy fighting for the "do nothing" side of this thing. If everyone was using their time spent telling the other side "THAT WON'T WORK!" on working on something they believe would work we may eventually get somewhere.

People in this thread mentioned grounds for compromise that were instantly disregarded without consideration.  I perceive that compromise on this issue is not an option.

I'm not 100% certain this thread is going to solve this problem descartes. I mean, WE COULD MAYBE, but probably it's going to have to be argued on a larger stage. BUT MAYBE NOT?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: October 08, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
A lot of people are spending a lot of time, money, and energy fighting for the "do nothing" side of this thing. If everyone was using their time spent telling the other side "THAT WON'T WORK!" on working on something they believe would work we may eventually get somewhere.

People in this thread mentioned grounds for compromise that were instantly disregarded without consideration.  I perceive that compromise on this issue is not an option.

I'm not 100% certain this thread is going to solve this problem descartes. I mean, WE COULD MAYBE, but probably it's going to have to be argued on a larger stage. BUT MAYBE NOT?

The only people not willing to compromise are NRA supporters. I'd be willing to compromise on just about anything I've proposed as I solve the problem.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
Yeah not to go too far off topic, but I am also skeptical of our nation's broad powers to spy on citizens. I don't lose much sleep over it because I'm not doing any wrong, but I don't like the path we're heading down.

On a related point, I really don't like how the FBI and USAGs seem to spend so much time and money baiting people into attempting terrorism, and then they brag about how they foiled a terrorist attack - that they pretty much concocted by themselves. The recent Wichita airport case comes to mind. They really seem to be crossing the "entrapment" line - not that judges have ever given much credence to that - and I'm skeptical it's really increasing our security.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: October 08, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »

The only people not willing to compromise are NRA supporters. I'd be willing to compromise on just about anything I've proposed as I solve the problem.

I'm willing to compromise and I'm an NRA member/supporter.  So boom your theory is crap canned!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: October 08, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »
Yeah not to go too far off topic, but I am also skeptical of our nation's broad powers to spy on citizens. I don't lose much sleep over it because I'm not doing any wrong, but I don't like the path we're heading down.

On a related point, I really don't like how the FBI and USAGs seem to spend so much time and money baiting people into attempting terrorism, and then they brag about how they foiled a terrorist attack - that they pretty much concocted by themselves. The recent Wichita airport case comes to mind. They really seem to be crossing the "entrapment" line - not that judges have ever given much credence to that - and I'm skeptical it's really increasing our security.

let the record show KSUDub and steve dave are in full agreement here.  :cheers:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: October 08, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »

I'm willing to compromise and I'm an NRA member/supporter.  So boom your theory is crap canned!

So what do you propose we do to reduce firearm deaths?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: October 08, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »

let the record show KSUDub and steve dave are in full agreement here.  :cheers:

same :cheers:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: October 08, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
But again, the only solution to that would be a massive effort to confiscate/buy back guns kinda like Australia tried, and that's not gonna happen. Even if it did, it would take decades to filter out guns, and most of those guns would be forfeited by law abiding people. The guns are here. The genie is out of the bottle. I suspect that solutions that focus more on prevention and mental illness might be more effective.

I really, really find the "the genie's already out of the bottle" issue to be true.  The amount of guns in this country make comparisons to other countries completely apples and oranges.  That said, if we start getting serious about ammunition, then that is negated to some degree.

Maybe, but I don't think driving up the price of ammo, through taxation or regulation, would do anything except encourage a huge black market for ammo. Think Prohibition.

OK, using a "black market" boogeyman as an argument is ridiculous.  There's a pretty thriving black market for basically every sort of illegal drug, but that doesn't mean that we should leave heroin unchecked.

I'm actually pretty bullish on 2A rights, fwiw, but I also recognize that our first world super power of a nation has a bit of a problem with our disproportionate rate of gun violence, and that that's a problem worth trying to solve.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: October 08, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »

So what do you propose we do to reduce firearm deaths?

Bring in a bunch of Russian brides for these losers who feel the need shoot up people because they're too weird to have a real girl friend.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: October 08, 2015, 01:24:03 PM »
that sounds an awful lot like not compromising, emo emaw

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: October 08, 2015, 01:29:42 PM »
My idea of compromise was:

ok you wanna try some stuff, okay, but only if we get some stuff, too

Let them specify what they want to try, and we/I specify what we'd have to have to agree to it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: October 08, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »

Let them specify what they want to try, and we/I specify what we'd have to have to agree to it.

OK, what do you want in exchange for mandatory education on firearm safety for everyone that buys a gun?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: October 08, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »

good grief :flush:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: October 08, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »
Compromise!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »

OK, what do you want in exchange for mandatory education on firearm safety for everyone that buys a gun?

A drastic expansion of the P-R Act to include damn near everything when it comes to outdoor gear.  Like, if you can buy it at REI, it should be included.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: October 08, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »
please do not use acronyms ITT

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: October 08, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »
See guys this is easy!  :Woot: :cheers:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: October 08, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »
What's an rei

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: October 08, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
i will consider taking some small step to protect human life BUT ONLY if you tax backpacks, socks, and toe shoes and give the money to baby ducks.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: October 08, 2015, 01:46:53 PM »
What's an rei

its where north face soft shells come from

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: October 08, 2015, 01:47:50 PM »
How much tax on tents would it take Emo to fully ban guns? I'd be willing to compromise here

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: October 08, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
i thought the training thing would be a no brainer, because it would also make the gun owners more efficient killers. everybody wins

its the implied registration that is a deal breaker for them