Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 108283 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #900 on: August 21, 2021, 02:32:44 PM »
Check local and/or HOA dog and animal ordinances. Look for bans on aggressive breeds.

Not sure if this is still a thing or not, but 10 years ago, I had a neighbor who told me they had a hard time getting homeowners insurance because they owned a pitbull.

Yes.
I have never had any issues with GEICO or Farmers but I had a cousin who was an independent agent get me some home insurance then a year later the company sent me a letter that I couldn't renew because I had a dangerous dog

I have never listed lady's breed as a pit and have always been curious on how they knew anything about my dog.

Some do an exterior survey of the home so if she was outside at the time that’s probably why. Biggest company that tends to exclude and puts limits on liability for animals is AmFam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 21, 2021, 04:49:42 PM »
Alright, just initiated a cash out refi through justwin’s place (hat tip for recommendation bro/brodette). We’re getting real liquid here folks.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 21, 2021, 06:49:49 PM »
Alright, just initiated a cash out refi through justwin’s place (hat tip for recommendation bro/brodette). We’re getting real liquid here folks.

Why are you taking capital out of a rapidly appreciating  asset to put into a rapidly depreciating one?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 21, 2021, 07:36:23 PM »

Why are you taking capital out of a rapidly appreciating  asset to put into a rapidly depreciating one?
I mean….are you 100% aware of what the former has been appreciating in? This comment has broken my brain short term I think.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 21, 2021, 09:06:58 PM »

I mean….are you 100% aware of what the former has been appreciating in? This comment has broken my brain short term I think.

Why not just keep letting it all ride in the real estate

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 21, 2021, 09:11:10 PM »

I still own the exact same real estate….

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 21, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »

Didn’t you incur more debt to make some of that equity into usd?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 21, 2021, 09:30:14 PM »

Didn’t you incur more debt to make some of that equity into usd?

yes, debt in usd....which is doing what? and when is it doing that?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 22, 2021, 12:02:48 PM »
A “cash out refinance” is a secured loan WW. That’s literally all it is.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 22, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
Lol

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 23, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »
so last sunday we get home from wyoming super late (16 hour drive in one day  :Wha:) and mrs. dlew is like "hey i think the fridge is making a weird noise."  i go down and listen and tell her that that's the noise the fridge always makes and that maybe she's going crazy and should consider professional help. 

fast forward to friday morning -- i'm in OKC for a deposition and Mrs. Dlew gets home from her nightshift job and tells me that the kitchen rug is a little damp and that she thinks it's the fridge.  I tell her I'll get in touch with a appliance repair guy -- i do and the earliest they can come is saturday morning.  she said there wasn't much water, so she cleaned it up and went to bed to sleep for a few hours, as she does following her last night in a stretch.  on friday afternoon during the deposition, i see a text from MDL telling me to call her immediately.  turns out the leak got a lot worse while she was sleeping and now there's quite a bit of water on the floor.  i told her to cut the water to the house and how to do all that and that i'd take a look when i got home. 

anyway, i got home late on Friday night and pulled out the fridge.  i told her to crank the water back on to do a little troubleshooting.  yep, there's a puncture in the water hose to the fridge.  TURN THAT WATER BACK OFF!  i do a little internet sleuthing to see if there's a way to shutoff the line just to the fridge, but get the rest of the water back on so we can crap and stuff.  the answer is yes, you can turn off the fridge water by rotating the valve to the fridge line clockwise as far as it goes.  so i went and found that and turned it counter clockwise as far as it went.  time for another test. honey go turn the water on! whoops!  water everywhere again. Off! off!  i realized the error and spun it the other way as far as it went.  let me tell you, MDL was tired of my hairbrained tests at this point, but she agreed to give it a go.  it worked! we can crap again!  i was the male genitals of the walk in the dlew house friday night.

i had a plan of how to fix the hose on my own but figured i'd just let the pro do it.  repair guy came out the next day and fixed it in about 3 minutes, exactly as I would have done. oh well.  the $150 charge was penance for brushing off MDL's warning about the fridge noise.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:38:22 AM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 23, 2021, 10:37:09 AM »
what a massive success story there. Could have been a lot worse.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 23, 2021, 10:40:00 AM »
what a massive success story there. Could have been a lot worse.
there's not many feelings better than fixing some home emergency thing, even if the emergency is kind of your fault and you were a massive eff up during the whole thing and only kind of fixed it.  walked a little taller all weekend. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 23, 2021, 10:41:35 AM »
I’ve been there a billion times, you earned it

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #914 on: August 23, 2021, 11:10:04 AM »
Contract accepted and walking through a loan this afternoon. 10+ prime acres in Spencer County. Nice mix of woods and pasture/farm. 280' of road frontage. 1850' deep.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 23, 2021, 11:12:25 AM »
Hell yeah

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #916 on: August 23, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »
If the ten acre triangle is still available down the road, I'll probably grab it, too. Could use a little more horse paddock area.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 23, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »
Is it normal to be able to have a 10 acre tract for sale in that county?  Seems like a lot of counties are zoning in a way that makes it hard to split lots into those sizes anymore.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 23, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »
I had a similar issue to old dlew-- wife was running water in the sink in the laundry room to wash her bra and she walked away.  well, the tub filled up and started overflowing so that was fun.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #919 on: August 23, 2021, 11:42:45 AM »
Is it normal to be able to have a 10 acre tract for sale in that county?  Seems like a lot of counties are zoning in a way that makes it hard to split lots into those sizes anymore.
We are a rural county and they want to keep it that way. There are neighborhoods with 1/4-acre tracts. My current neighborhood in same county is 1 to 5 acre lots (mostly 1-2 acres). Infrastructure couldn't support a county full of 1/4-acre tracts and I don't see that changing with the current bubbas running the local government.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 23, 2021, 11:47:08 AM »
We are a rural county and they want to keep it that way. There are neighborhoods with 1/4-acre tracts. My current neighborhood in same county is 1 to 5 acre lots (mostly 1-2 acres). Infrastructure couldn't support a county full of 1/4-acre tracts and I don't see that changing with the current bubbas running the local government.

That’s great news for ole IPA4Me

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 23, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »
My co-worker had a question regarding staining a deck. They are selling their house. Inspection found the deck stain was peeling and should be re-stained. How much work should they put into it? I see by the book you're supposed to put down a stripper, then clean it, then stain it. Seems like a lot of work. How much of a guilty conscious would they have if they just cleaned it and then stained over the existing? tia
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 23, 2021, 12:04:02 PM »
My co-worker had a question regarding staining a deck. They are selling their house. Inspection found the deck stain was peeling and should be re-stained. How much work should they put into it? I see by the book you're supposed to put down a stripper, then clean it, then stain it. Seems like a lot of work. How much of a guilty conscious would they have if they just cleaned it and then stained over the existing? tia

power wash, stain

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 23, 2021, 01:11:42 PM »
They should probably just take the cost of having it professionally done off of the sale price.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 23, 2021, 01:59:57 PM »
They should probably just take the cost of having it professionally done off of the sale price.

I was told that was tried first but not accepted due to too low of $$$
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles