Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #2925 on: October 22, 2021, 12:31:34 PM »
I've lost a lot of candidates due to our shitty benefits and I think they're trying to show initiative of changes coming. They also talked about a 1% matching 401K for 2022, but dropped the ball there. 1/2 I guess isn't bad.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: October 22, 2021, 12:32:31 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: October 22, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »
I'm a finalist for an executive director job and if I get it I will put an unlimited pto plan in place but I will give the employees the option to grandfather themselves in to the plan. I think unlimited pto is a great perk if you didn't already spend years building up pto. Luckily this organization already has a cap on the amount of pto that can be carried over and paid out.

well, you shouldn't have to spend years building up PTO either

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: October 22, 2021, 01:08:51 PM »
I've lost a lot of candidates due to our shitty benefits and I think they're trying to show initiative of changes coming. They also talked about a 1% matching 401K for 2022, but dropped the ball there. 1/2 I guess isn't bad.
Do they not currently match any of your 401k contributions?!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: October 22, 2021, 01:09:49 PM »
No, it blows.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: October 22, 2021, 02:18:27 PM »
I'm a finalist for an executive director job and if I get it I will put an unlimited pto plan in place but I will give the employees the option to grandfather themselves in to the plan. I think unlimited pto is a great perk if you didn't already spend years building up pto. Luckily this organization already has a cap on the amount of pto that can be carried over and paid out.

well, you shouldn't have to spend years building up PTO either

That isn't the point. Even at 1 year employed losing four weeks of a pto payout isn't fair if you've contractually earned it already.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: October 22, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »
I believe some states mandate that your unused PTO is rolled over into the next year. At least that is how it worked in CA when I lived there. People had a bank of vacation days. Was a sweet deal when they retired.  Probably why a lot of companies moved to the 'no PTO just take days off when you want' model. No obligation to pay anything upon retirement or termination.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: October 22, 2021, 03:01:57 PM »
"Unlimited PTO" isn't really unlimited. They just choose to not tell you what the limit is, and you don't get any credit for falling under that limit.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: October 22, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »
"Unlimited PTO" isn't really unlimited. They just choose to not tell you what the limit is, and you don't get any credit for falling under that limit.
Great way to put it

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: October 22, 2021, 05:32:42 PM »
Clams texted me that all of you guys were right with your analysis today via text and this was my response. I need to see it on paper, because they’re still keeping track of our “PTO bank”, so I’m confused:

“Sigh. I’ll look into it. Honestly, they didn’t sound 100% like they knew what they were talking about when they rolled it out on the call this morning 🤣. So I’ll wait and see what it looks like on paper.”
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:17:27 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: October 22, 2021, 06:01:44 PM »
Papa 'Clams is always good for good advice :thumbs:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: October 22, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »
And if you need a facial in the KC area, he can hook you up.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2937 on: October 22, 2021, 06:49:13 PM »
My place only offers PTO, no sick days or anything else.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: October 22, 2021, 07:10:56 PM »
Took today off to bike with my brother which was incred (xpost October thread)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: October 22, 2021, 09:12:31 PM »
I started a new job in August with "unlimited PTO" and rolled my eyes at it, definitely a ploy to make sure they don't have to pay out X weeks when people quit/retire/get fired...my goal is to make sure I take at least the 3 weeks a year I had at my old job.

Also hold your horses for this, no one can take PTO in December . It's our busiest month of the year (financial services company, FY year end etc/ large amount of our revenue comes in Dec) but then they make everyone take a week off during January.

So I'll be chasing birds the second week of January or maybe going to a beach, haven't decided yet.

From talking with people who have been here a while they are pretty good with approving PTO the rest of the time so we will see.

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: October 22, 2021, 09:14:47 PM »

Hope this means you can move south again.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: October 22, 2021, 09:26:11 PM »
I started a new job in August with "unlimited PTO" and rolled my eyes at it, definitely a ploy to make sure they don't have to pay out X weeks when people quit/retire/get fired...my goal is to make sure I take at least the 3 weeks a year I had at my old job.

Also hold your horses for this, no one can take PTO in December . It's our busiest month of the year (financial services company, FY year end etc/ large amount of our revenue comes in Dec) but then they make everyone take a week off during January.

So I'll be chasing birds the second week of January or maybe going to a beach, haven't decided yet.

From talking with people who have been here a while they are pretty good with approving PTO the rest of the time so we will see.
I’m pretty tight with my boss and I know I’m one of the main reasons for this new implementation, because I bitched to him about how bad our benefits are. He heard me and addressed it & I feel I have to be on board with it at this point. He literally singled me out on the call this morning in front of 100 colleagues of why this movement is important for our company and families, etc. I think the new movement was meant in the best intentions, but there was a 1,000 questions afterwards, when they announced it and they weren’t ready to answer them. Hopefully it will be clearer soon.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: October 23, 2021, 09:58:57 AM »
I honestly cannot imagine unlimited PTO being considered a benefit.

It is absolutely a boundaries issue to me: “hey hope you’re enjoying your vacation, obviously take all the time you want as long as your work is getting done. Speaking of, we’re you able to do X, Y, Z? Something came up and we need that ASAP now.”

I recently took a week off just cause and no one bugged me until literally the day the notification fell off their calendars: Saturday morning.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: October 23, 2021, 10:51:47 AM »
When my boss is out, I cover for him and vice versa. We’re pretty great about not bugging the crap out of each other when we’re away on vacay, unless he’s asking for some family pics. Last week he was in Boston for his anniversary and I asked for a pic of the green monster and the bastard actually got a tour of Fenway and sent me a crap ton. It was great!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: October 23, 2021, 03:50:22 PM »

Hope this means you can move south again.

Sticking my happy ass right here, if I take the position it's in River Bend though. We really gotta do lunch, I'm not available at all next week, but the week of the 1st we gotta make it happen. I want to go to Zora.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: October 24, 2021, 12:22:55 AM »

No. I had unlimited PTO for a long time. It all depends on who your boss is. Obviously you can't actually take 6 months of vacation per year.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: October 24, 2021, 08:35:52 AM »

No. I had unlimited PTO for a long time. It all depends on who your boss is. Obviously you can't actually take 6 months of vacation per year.
This is what I was thinking. Who’s your boss and have far have you gone with him before getting a new one.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: October 24, 2021, 10:15:37 AM »
In my experience, unlimited PTO is a con, but I work in consulting, where billable hours matter...kinda like at a law firm, accounting firm,  or engineering firm.   My company had a regular PTO plan, and when they switched they paid us out for our current PTO balances, then switched everyone over to "unlimited" and all new hires then got the "unlimited."  Which is to say you get nothing of any monetary value.   IMO, our company culture when we had fixed PTO was much more conducive to taking vacation or time off.  We had a "use it or lose it" system after X amount of hours, and it was widely accepted that people needed to make sure and take time off to maximize that benefit and not lose it. 

So now it's really about whether you can hit your billable hours targets for the year.  If you aren't on track to hit your billable hours targets (even through no fault of your own, like not being staffed on good gigs) then you better not take PTO unless you are cool with your raise and bonus being compromised.

But, it's hilarious how the campus hires are like "I really love how this firm has unlimited PTO!"  LOL.   :lol:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: October 24, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
Yes, big con.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: October 24, 2021, 10:21:59 AM »
I can see a new grad who gets no more than 1 week in year 1 and no more than 2 weeks until after year 5 could see it as a very real benefit. And they might be right! but again, hard to know, which is part of the con