Author Topic: jobs  (Read 279035 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #2875 on: April 17, 2020, 11:22:20 PM »
changing jobs at this point in time is some serious balls.  so is hiring new employees, so i'm glad you found a suitable match.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: April 18, 2020, 12:06:38 AM »
I actually got a promotion that took effect the Monday of the crap storm week. Like that Wednesday was when the NBA shut down and dominoed stay at homes happened. Absolutely dodged a bullet on potentially changing/switching companies/jobs.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: April 18, 2020, 01:32:58 AM »
Got the job.  Start in 3 weeks.  It was actually really hard to step down from my current job.
What's the office situation with shelter in place? Essential business?

I work in government.  I've been working from home for a month.  I'm just changing jobs to a different government.  Onboarding is all virtual.  On my first day, I'll go in, get my badge and my computer and then proceed to go home and work.  Very different.  I'll also meet my employees for the first time via zoom.  I've met most of them at conferences or cross meetings before, so I won't be going in ice cold.  The biggest change will be going from a highly technical position to a position where I'm managing employees.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: April 18, 2020, 01:42:58 AM »
changing jobs at this point in time is some serious balls.  so is hiring new employees, so i'm glad you found a suitable match.

When I applied, I assumed interviews and onboarding would be delayed until the lockdowns were lifted.  I was officially hired 14 days after applying(contingent offer was 10 days after) and they are eager for me to start.  In government, there are hiring freezes or slowdowns, but they will break those guidelines if they want/need to fill a position.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: April 18, 2020, 06:30:56 AM »

I hired a guy on 4/1. it's been a bizarre onboarding experience.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: April 18, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
Is this new job going to take away your bread pron time?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: April 18, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »
Is this new job going to take away your bread pron time?

Nah,  I am on my last loaf right now, so a new batch will be baking here pretty soon.  Until we move I will have to commute for a bit so it will cut out of family time for a couple months (once I am actually able to go to the office)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: April 20, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »

I'm still on board to start on 5/4. I got an email today asking for a bio for the board and the website, starting to feel like it's actually going to happen. I was told my first week will be on site :ohno: :runaway: :pray:

Today, the start of my last week at my new job, is the first day I "worked" from home. The work has consisted of setting up the internet, all of the Rokus, and after I slam this pizza, I'm going to assemble my mower and arrange my garage.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: August 25, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
So hey guyz, been a crazy day at work...I'll start with a little backstory

Around 4 years ago 6 people including a couple I knew from previous jobs started a new company under the umbrella of a larger parent company. I was the 12th employee hired and over the past couple of years we have grown to around 80 employee's(pre covid), just rocking and rolling.

Back in March (not sure if it was all covid related or not) our parent company, which had pretty much left us alone, started to get more involved in our company and I could tell some higher ups in our company were not happy with it.

In June our VP (2nd in command and one of the founders) left the company. Then today 2 employee's (director level and hired before me) resigned. I called one of them up and we chatted for a bit but he was kind of vague saying "I just wasn't happy, I've saved some money and am going to take a couple of months off before taking a new job in October, have a couple of offers. We can discuss more later, just keep your head down and grind away". All 3 of these people have been my boss at some point and I have good relations with all of them.

Anyone had anything like this happen? I've got a couple of thoughts on the situation and will list them in order of likely hood.

1. They are totally going to start a new company in the same industry. (If not I now have 3 solid contacts in the industry that will be working elsewhere)
2. They just got pissed at the parent company meddling in our business and peaced out.
3. Our company or our parent company is not in a good financial position. (I'm pretty confident our company is good but I have no idea about the parent company).

Either way its not good, our Managing Director (#1 in our company) sent out an email around 5 basically saying "I know lots of you have questions and I will have more updates on Thursday"

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: August 25, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »
I'm in sales and landed a whale back in March which will pay some phat commission checks until next summer so I'm not really looking to leave unless they stop paying those checks.

Also this brings into focus some advice I've seen multiple times about how your loyalty(not sure if thats the right word) should be to your bosses/co-workers and not to the company. As the great Darcy Sears from Varsity Blues once said "Things Change Mox"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: August 25, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »
So hey guyz, been a crazy day at work...I'll start with a little backstory

Around 4 years ago 6 people including a couple I knew from previous jobs started a new company under the umbrella of a larger parent company. I was the 12th employee hired and over the past couple of years we have grown to around 80 employee's(pre covid), just rocking and rolling.

Back in March (not sure if it was all covid related or not) our parent company, which had pretty much left us alone, started to get more involved in our company and I could tell some higher ups in our company were not happy with it.

In June our VP (2nd in command and one of the founders) left the company. Then today 2 employee's (director level and hired before me) resigned. I called one of them up and we chatted for a bit but he was kind of vague saying "I just wasn't happy, I've saved some money and am going to take a couple of months off before taking a new job in October, have a couple of offers. We can discuss more later, just keep your head down and grind away". All 3 of these people have been my boss at some point and I have good relations with all of them.

Anyone had anything like this happen? I've got a couple of thoughts on the situation and will list them in order of likely hood.

1. They are totally going to start a new company in the same industry. (If not I now have 3 solid contacts in the industry that will be working elsewhere)
2. They just got pissed at the parent company meddling in our business and peaced out.
3. Our company or our parent company is not in a good financial position. (I'm pretty confident our company is good but I have no idea about the parent company).

Either way its not good, our Managing Director (#1 in our company) sent out an email around 5 basically saying "I know lots of you have questions and I will have more updates on Thursday"

it could be a combination of 2 and 3. sounds like the outgoing folks signed non-competes of some sort.

Was one of them your boss? You might have opportunities to step up/have more freedom regardless. My advice is try to make it a positive as much as possible - turnover like that sucks but make the most of it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: August 25, 2020, 06:03:10 PM »
I'm in sales and landed a whale back in March which will pay some phat commission checks until next summer so I'm not really looking to leave unless they stop paying those checks.

Also this brings into focus some advice I've seen multiple times about how your loyalty(not sure if thats the right word) should be to your bosses/co-workers and not to the company. As the great Darcy Sears from Varsity Blues once said "Things Change Mox"

your loyalty should be to whoever's paying you the most money/making you happiest. eff your bosses and coworkers (and current company) tbh

(granted good people can factor into the happiness equation but I've been mumped by good bosses before, assume they will always put themselves ahead of you)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: August 25, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »

your loyalty should be to whoever's paying you the most money/making you happiest. eff your bosses and coworkers (and current company) tbh

(granted good people can factor into the happiness equation but I've been mumped by good bosses before, assume they will always put themselves ahead of you)

Valid point but I would trust 2 of the 3 people that left not to eff me....the point I was trying to get across was that with them in charge I felt confident about the direction of the company, now...not so much.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: August 25, 2020, 06:15:58 PM »

Valid point but I would trust 2 of the 3 people that left not to eff me....the point I was trying to get across was that with them in charge I felt confident about the direction of the company, now...not so much.

that makes sense. I'd hear the managing director out. (is this a euro company or what)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: August 25, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »
I've always held the the view that I will be as loyal to my employer as my employer is to me. Which is hardly at all. But I feel like my working life improved immensely when I started thinking of my employer as less of a partner and more of an adversary.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: August 25, 2020, 07:34:41 PM »
I’m pretty loyal to my employer but they have earned that loyalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: August 25, 2020, 07:43:37 PM »

I've always held the the view that I will be as loyal to my employer as my employer is to me. Which is hardly at all. But I feel like my working life improved immensely when I started thinking of my employer as less of a partner and more of an adversary.

That seems weird to me, could you elaborate? I work for a small company so it's hard for me to think that way

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: August 25, 2020, 08:10:00 PM »

That seems weird to me, could you elaborate? I work for a small company so it's hard for me to think that way

My last two employers have been small businesses. I don't mean not to be friendly or work well with anyone. Much better to get along well with everyone! I mean don't let yourself get taken advantage of. Get all the money you can out of them. Don't feel obligated to work after hours. Or obligated to work too hard for them. Kinda be your own union, I guess. But nicely!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: August 25, 2020, 08:15:28 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: August 25, 2020, 08:15:53 PM »
I’m pretty loyal to my employer but they have earned that loyalty.

same.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: August 25, 2020, 08:28:36 PM »

My last two employers have been small businesses. I don't mean not to be friendly or work well with anyone. Much better to get along well with everyone! I mean don't let yourself get taken advantage of. Get all the money you can out of them. Don't feel obligated to work after hours. Or obligated to work too hard for them. Kinda be your own union, I guess. But nicely!

yeah. Basically, be loyal to yourself because the company will drop you like a bad habit. Maximize your earnings/personal growth/happiness at the expense of the company every time. Obviously there's a bit of a balance in that you can't completely eff them over but nothing wrong with taking an afternoon nap when you WFH if everyone's satisfied

and obviously if you work for a weird euro golden goose company you probably won't find many better deals everywhere so you end up in a rare case where companies maximize your earnings/personal growth/happiness and everyone's loyal to everyone

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: August 26, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »
I don’t think I’ve held a job in my life for less than like 1-2 years, but I’ve never considered myself loyal. More of a combo of lazy + fairly certain there are not better options elsewhere.

I’m also a believer in building “good will” equity that gives you a lot more flexibility to call your own shots when you’ve been around for a while.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: August 26, 2020, 12:05:48 PM »

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: August 26, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
I don’t think I’ve held a job in my life for less than like 1-2 years, but I’ve never considered myself loyal. More of a combo of lazy + fairly certain there are not better options elsewhere.

I’m also a believer in building “good will” equity that gives you a lot more flexibility to call your own shots when you’ve been around for a while.

I generally feel this way. I do in general like my employer, and there are a lot of great people and decent to good bosses. I though definitely feel like though any job I jump to would not be significantly better or worse than this one (cause in general unless I make a huge career change, they are all going to be more or less similar, so why bother).

I am also though under no illusions about how my company operates when it comes to you. They will stick with you, but only to a point, and they will not hesitate to ask more and more out of you with not much extra in return. I don't need them to ride or die with me, just I know there is more expectation of loyalty from the company from you than they are willing to give in return. You sacrifice, they don't.

I def get michigancat on just be loyal to yourself, that is the better way.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: August 27, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
I’ve seen too many people axed when someone, usually above their direct report, decides people have to go. Factor in your bosses power in the organization into your loyalty to them/your job.