Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #2902 on: July 15, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »
Got a bonus today, just because. Boss said he really appreciated my kick ass efforts lately and threw some $ at me today. #Blessed  :kstategrad: :gocho:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: October 22, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »
We just moved to unlimited PTO as long as you're doing your job. I know this is popular at software companies and has been successful. Any of you have experience with it? The only thing that's sucked at my job is our benefits, so this is a huge win for wacky today.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: October 22, 2021, 10:02:58 AM »
It's so they don't have to pay out any saved up pto when they can your ass
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: October 22, 2021, 10:04:36 AM »
We just moved to unlimited PTO as long as you're doing your job. I know this is popular at software companies and has been successful. Any of you have experience with it? The only thing that's sucked at my job is our benefits, so this is a huge win for wacky today.

Unlimited PTO is generally complete bullshit, especially if you don't have a clear backup for your job (which is common in most companies that offer unlimited PTO). There are a few people that abuse it, but most people end up taking less time off than if they had guaranteed PTO + they can't get paid out for days when they leave the company.

That said, my #1 recommendation is to go to weekday day MLB games on like Wednesday or Thursdays. So much fun and something I would never do if I had to take a real vacation day.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: October 22, 2021, 10:05:39 AM »
Yep, or if you were able to use comp time for working extra hours while earning actual PTO before, now it's moot because comp time is no different than unlimited PTO.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: October 22, 2021, 10:10:34 AM »
I've been in talks about moving to a new company and they have unlimited pto. It's one of the things I'm a bit apprehensive of because I prefer defined boundaries. The company, obviously, is trying to sell it as a perk because I mentioned that I want to maximize time for personal travel.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: October 22, 2021, 10:12:27 AM »
I've been in talks about moving to a new company and they have unlimited pto. It's one of the things I'm a bit apprehensive of because I prefer defined boundaries. The company, obviously, is trying to sell it as a perk because I mentioned that I want to maximize time for personal travel.

push them for what it really means. 3 weeks? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? expectations during PTO? for me it's been "around 4 weeks" but I doubt I've ever taken that much unless you add up random afternoons or sick days.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: October 22, 2021, 10:22:29 AM »
Yeah, a lot of ppl who are shitty at their jobs seemed really concerned about this.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: October 22, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »

Unlimited PTO is generally complete bullshit, especially if you don't have a clear backup for your job (which is common in most companies that offer unlimited PTO). There are a few people that abuse it, but most people end up taking less time off than if they had guaranteed PTO + they can't get paid out for days when they leave the company.

That said, my #1 recommendation is to go to weekday day MLB games on like Wednesday or Thursdays. So much fun and something I would never do if I had to take a real vacation day.
:thumbs: Sounds amaze!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: October 22, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
I've had like 2 and half weeks at this spot and it's been annoying, because it usually means I'm working a few days from said resort, when I'm there with the fam, trying to get away. I think I'm ok with this, since they've been flying me up for exec meetings recently and obviously have a plan for me moving forward. I could see how this might suck in my 20's and I had no motivation of being successful.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: October 22, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »
NE apparently had some paid time off case a couple years ago and now all NE employees for my company cash out PTO at the end of each year after rolling 5. so I get like an absolute truckload of PTO because I've worked here a long time and they are generous with it to begin with because they are euros. I think I currently get 39 days plus the usual holidays (including juneteenth and mlk) and one "floater" that I don't understand but I believe is to compensate for other non-traditional religious holidays. I got a massive paycheck at the end of the year for like 10 days of PTO that I cashed out after rolling 5. it rules but it also sucks because now instead of just taking PTO whenever I want I have to think about the cost of doing so because I'd otherwise get paid for that. I wish it was back to where it was where I had to use it or lose it. we also have a weird euro culture that you get shamed if you accumulate too much PTO and don't take time off.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: October 22, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »
Interesting.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: October 22, 2021, 11:59:46 AM »
Wacky, do not allow yourself to be deceived that "unlimited vacation" is a good thing for you as an employee. Listen to what people are telling you.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: October 22, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »
Wacky, do not allow yourself to be deceived that "unlimited vacation" is a good thing for you as an employee. Listen to what people are telling you.

nah we're all just lazy

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: October 22, 2021, 12:11:05 PM »
Teachers have a pretty good system in the sense that we only work like 190 days a year but bad in the sense that you can’t really miss any of those days with any ease at all and also most districts use accumulated PTO days as a retirement benefit to either pay out or as a way to stay on healthcare plan as a bridge to Medicare. Both are pretty unfair if you leave before retirement (as many districts don’t pay out unused days for just quitting) and sick days etc are all over the map.  Obviously for women that took FMLA they had to burn their sick days for each pregnancy and are even more adversely affected.

Unfortunately the current plan in Congress, even if it passes, is a terrible fix because it just takes all the worst parts about our for profit health insurance industry and uses those to construct a cumbersome and inefficient system for adding paid leave.

I hate this crap.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: October 22, 2021, 12:17:21 PM »

nah we're all just lazy
No way, man. I'm just happy I can unplug for a week off now, from time to time, without ZERO CONSEQUENCES!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 12:24:07 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: October 22, 2021, 12:23:50 PM »

nah we're all just lazy
No way, man. I'm just happy I can unplug for a week off now from time to time without ZERO CONSEQUENCES.

If true, good for you. But I have "unlimited vacation," and I wasn't able to take any "vacation" time until three years into my job. I can't imagine actually being able to take a week off here, a week off there, with ZERO CONSEQUENCES.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: October 22, 2021, 12:24:18 PM »
Yeah, a lot of ppl who are shitty at their jobs seemed really concerned about this.

People are much more likely to quit their job than they are to be fired.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: October 22, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »

People are much more likely to quit their job than they are to be fired.
Now a days, for sure.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: October 22, 2021, 12:26:15 PM »

nah we're all just lazy
No way, man. I'm just happy I can unplug for a week off now from time to time without ZERO CONSEQUENCES.

If true, good for you. But I have "unlimited vacation," and I wasn't able to take any "vacation" time until three years into my job. I can't imagine actually being able to take a week off here, a week off there, with ZERO CONSEQUENCES.

yeah, you'll be more likely to face consequences completely unplugging during "unlimited PTO" than you would with traditional PTO. Unlimited PTO is looked at as "fake" to many employers. Like can you really turn off when it's unlimited?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: October 22, 2021, 12:28:12 PM »

nah we're all just lazy

I haven't used PTO since July I believe. My wife had a vacation freeze at work due to a project they had. I believe I had 4 days left for the year and I was going to use 3 of those Thanksgiving week for our trip to Florida and save a day for around the holidays. I was going to work that Monday down there. Now I put in a PTO day for that Monday and it got accepted right away and my boss said, "well deserved!". I'm definitely not going to take advantage of  it. We usually have to put in our requests weeks in advance anyways.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: October 22, 2021, 12:28:43 PM »
I'm a finalist for an executive director job and if I get it I will put an unlimited pto plan in place but I will give the employees the option to grandfather themselves in to the plan. I think unlimited pto is a great perk if you didn't already spend years building up pto. Luckily this organization already has a cap on the amount of pto that can be carried over and paid out.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: October 22, 2021, 12:30:13 PM »
Yeah, they weren't letting us carry over PTO days or sick time either. They needed to fix something here. I believe this is just a start.