Author Topic: jobs  (Read 279751 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #350 on: July 29, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »
what type of job/career are you wanting to get wacky?  why are you not already snapping necks at Morgan Hunter or Robert Half?
I'm interested in HR and recruiting future employees. Also, there's companies like DST and Garman that are looking for college  recruiters to go to campuses and speak about the opportunities that the company has for entry level positions. I think I would be great at that. I wouldn't mind getting back into inside sales either. I just had a really bad experience at DSI and I think that rocked me a little bit. Honestly, I was going through a lot during that time. Anxiety attacks, losing hair, etc. Over the last two years, the doctors found out I had an underactive thyroid, high blood pressure, and a severe case of depression from a chemical imbalance. The doctors finally figured out what was triggering it and  the meds have been working. I feel like myself again. I could probably take on a position like that again at this time, now that I'm feeling better.

mrs wacky cool with you going back to Manhattan all the time to "recruit" fillies?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 29, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
have ms wacky negotiate salary for you

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 29, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »
have ms wacky negotiate salary for you

Yeah, you don't want to get below her threshold for how much you can make for her to marry you.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 29, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
lol. She wouldn't mind me traveling. She trusts me. I'm kind of turning into a grumpy old man anyways when it comes to college towns. It would be strictly business.  :thumbsup: We'll see tho, those jobs seem hard to get in line for right now. They're well paying too.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 29, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
I've received 3 job offers this week.  It's going to be tough to decide which one to take.

That's awesome, you should take the one that will give you the most fullfillment/opportunity, and if that happens to be the one that pays the most then Heeeyyy!

They're all pretty much doing the same thing, so the fulfillment is probably equal.

One job is with my current company, a Fortune 10 company, very stable, great benefits. Close to my home.

Second job is with a new company but selling a product that I'm very familiar with.  Would work from home when not out visiting clients.

Third job has the most earning potential but is a very small company (10 employees).  Would need to drive into the office every day which is about 25 miles away from the new house.

You should stay with your current company but use your other job offers as leverage for a raise and extra vacation time. 
@lopakman

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 29, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »
Wacky, if you did as well at the software place as you say, you would have to be a pretty good sales person.  Find a reputable company and a good product and earn.  I mean, you weren't a software guy, but lead sales there for a while.  If you can do that with a product you had no clue about, you could hit homeruns on the reg for a product you do know about.  Also, apply at places with good reps even if you don't know the product.  Again, if you can sell software without a great IT handle, you could probably sell most other things.  I would seriously look into medical sales.

Also, in my limited experience, HR depts have a higher turnover than the other depts in many orgs.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 29, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »
Wacky, if you did as well at the software place as you say, you would have to be a pretty good sales person.  Find a reputable company and a good product and earn.  I mean, you weren't a software guy, but lead sales there for a while.  If you can do that with a product you had no clue about, you could hit homeruns on the reg for a product you do know about.  Also, apply at places with good reps even if you don't know the product.  Again, if you can sell software without a great IT handle, you could probably sell most other things.  I would seriously look into medical sales.

Also, in my limited experience, HR depts have a higher turnover than the other depts in many orgs.
Good advice. Thanks!  :thumbs:

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:20 PM »
Have you considered working for a headhunting company?
:adios:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 29, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
Have you considered working for a headhunting company?
Yeah. I'm in talks with a few right now. They place nurses and other Healthcare positions. I have an interview next Tuesday with one.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »
I had a similar interview for Kiewit Power a couple years ago
Nebraska!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 29, 2015, 09:20:15 PM »
I did tie and no pants :)

Overdressing is really never a bad thing, imo.  Worst case you are showing that you are making every effort and really interested.  I've had people interview with me that were way overdressed and they pretty much always get the job

Agree.

My company (More blue collar than white collar) hired a guy who came to the interview in a 3 piece suit. His nickname for the first 6 months was 3 piece until we realized he was not good at the white collar part of the job, he now works in the blue collar department.

Point being he was well dressed and it helped get him the job.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 30, 2015, 12:13:55 AM »
what type of job/career are you wanting to get wacky?  why are you not already snapping necks at Morgan Hunter or Robert Half?
I'm interested in HR and recruiting future employees. Also, there's companies like DST and Garman that are looking for college  recruiters to go to campuses and speak about the opportunities that the company has for entry level positions. I think I would be great at that. I wouldn't mind getting back into inside sales either. I just had a really bad experience at DSI and I think that rocked me a little bit. Honestly, I was going through a lot during that time. Anxiety attacks, losing hair, etc. Over the last two years, the doctors found out I had an underactive thyroid, high blood pressure, and a severe case of depression from a chemical imbalance. The doctors finally figured out what was triggering it and  the meds have been working. I feel like myself again. I could probably take on a position like that again at this time, now that I'm feeling better.

mrs wacky cool with you going back to Manhattan all the time to "recruit" fillies?
I forgot to mention that I had an offer from Robert Half 3 years ago, but I chose the DSI position over them and they've been sour grapes ever since. I have a buddy who's a manager there and he said: "They really liked you, but once you chose that other position, you burned your bridges here".   :blank:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 30, 2015, 12:28:04 AM »
what a stupid company then
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 30, 2015, 12:35:43 AM »
what a stupid company then
Agreed. I mean, I get their point to an extent, but still, they were rolling out the red carpet for me. I would think a job placement company would understand the value of taking the better bargain.

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 30, 2015, 07:52:08 AM »

Nebraska!
Actually the Power division is headquartered in Lenexa...
:adios:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 30, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
I know everyone has probably been on the edge of their seat waiting for my decision... I'm going to stay at my current company and I've accepted the new position.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 30, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
Congrats Matt. I am happy for you.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »

Overdressing is really never a bad thing, imo.  Worst case you are showing that you are making every effort and really interested.  I've had people interview with me that were way overdressed and they pretty much always get the job

Agree.

My company (More blue collar than white collar) hired a guy who came to the interview in a 3 piece suit. His nickname for the first 6 months was 3 piece until we realized he was not good at the white collar part of the job, he now works in the blue collar department.

Overdressing can bite you in certain cases, at least at certain companies on the bay area. The idea is that if you show up for an interview in a suit when the guy interviewing you is in a t-shirt and hoodie, you don't understand the culture and won't fit in.

It's stupid, but it's there. In KC, you should be fine overdressing just about anywhere.

The Big Train

« Reply #368 on: July 30, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »

Nebraska!
Actually the Power division is headquartered in Lenexa...

I have a cousin that works there

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »

Agree.

Overdressing can bite you in certain cases, at least at certain companies on the bay area. The idea is that if you show up for an interview in a suit when the guy interviewing you is in a t-shirt and hoodie, you don't understand the culture and won't fit in.

It's stupid, but it's there. In KC, you should be fine overdressing just about anywhere.

you really didn't need to do this. everybody already knows you live in the bay areaa.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 30, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »

Agree.

you really didn't need to do this. everybody already knows you live in the bay areaa.

OUR GUY WACKY IS INTERVIEWING W/ A BAY AREA COMPANY RICK DARIS

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 30, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »
 :thumbs: I wore a suit the first time I interviewed with this company, while everyone else who worked there was wearing jeans and a polo (bright orange. That's their moto!). I didn't have a orange button up at the time either. This time I did.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 30, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Also, congrats Matt!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire