Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1353273 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #7175 on: January 10, 2016, 01:05:06 PM »
For some reason my super tiny tin with only like 40 seats on it is in dfw termy d flanked on either side by qantas and qatar a380 and 777. Pretty amaze

I absolutely love when they do that. Has to be upsetting for those American Eagle pilots. Maybe they do it to mess with them.

Super excited to be in term d this Friday. I love it so.
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: January 10, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »
Thank you for the information, all of you non-jerk posters weirdly mean for no reason. I appreciate it.

I understand where you're coming from as my job allows me to live basically wherever I want as well. I live in dfw because it's close to both my wife and my families, has two very good airports and my wife has a fine job here and is a native Texan and wanted to come back. I'm gone 150-200 days a year so I could care less really about the city I live in. From that perspective phx is fine.

You can probably do better than phx but wgaf. Salt Lake really is awesome like michcat said. I'd move there in a heartbeat. But phx is an average to above city and you can do worse as a home base. Weather sucks in the summer, kicks ass in the winter. Pretty clean city and easy to get around from my experience. Scottsdale and Tempe were probably my two favorite areas. Some cool hiking and not too far from some really scenic areas of Zona. Great golfing too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:23:14 PM by GoodForAnother »
emaw

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: January 14, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »
I will be in Tulsa for a few days for a work thingy and the Mrs. is going with me. So what in the hell is there to do in Tulsa? I thought about signing up for one of those escape room things to kill time while down there

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: January 14, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
hamburglarPAK

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: January 14, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
I will be in Tulsa for a few days for a work thingy and the Mrs. is going with me. So what in the hell is there to do in Tulsa? I thought about signing up for one of those escape room things to kill time while down there

iirc we have some posters who I would consider to be "cool" who live there. hopefully they chime in.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: January 14, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »
Decided on spring training this year! Going for a week and gonna do the whole Sedona/grand Canyon experience too

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: January 14, 2016, 06:23:54 PM »

iirc we have some posters who I would consider to be "cool" who live there. hopefully they chime in.

I question your judgement now.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: January 14, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »

When are you coming?  Where is your work thing?  Where are you staying? 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: January 14, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »
Decided on spring training this year! Going for a week and gonna do the whole Sedona/grand Canyon experience too

We are most likely heading down too.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: January 14, 2016, 06:50:05 PM »

Did it last year....skip Sedona IMO.  Not that PHX is any gem.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: January 14, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »

I meant the Spring Training.  We aren't venturing out to Sedona/GC.  Prob just stay in Scottsdale.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: January 14, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »

I meant the Spring Training.  We aren't venturing out to Sedona/GC.  Prob just stay in Scottsdale.
Sweet! We are staying in Scottsdale, in-laws have a house there

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: January 14, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »

Yah that was just an overall warning to all about Sedona.  If I go back, I'm not going back to Surprise either....picking a weekend they play in Scottsdale.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: January 14, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »

Yah that was just an overall warning to all about Sedona.  If I go back, I'm not going back to Surprise either....picking a weekend they play in Scottsdale.
Seeing one game in surprise. At least want to see the royals stadium there. Plus we got dugout seats for that game.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: January 15, 2016, 07:55:33 AM »

Good hiking opportunities in Sedona if that's what you want and neat scenery if you've never been, but yes the town itself is nothing special.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: January 15, 2016, 10:20:06 AM »

Renaissance Hotel be there from the 19-21 of February. I did see a guy I like a few songs Uncle Lucius is playing at cains ballroom that looks like it would be fun

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: January 15, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »

Renaissance Hotel be there from the 19-21 of February. I did see a guy I like a few songs Uncle Lucius is playing at cains ballroom that looks like it would be fun

I was going to say go check out Cains anyway.  Before the concert, go to The Hunt Club for drinks and get the hummus.  Also, there's a restaurant a lot of people like named Laffa in the Cains district.  There's a couple other bars and restaurants by Cains.  Cissiros is also good right next to Cains. 

One night you and the Mrs. need to eat at Villa Ravenna.  I'd suggest getting the wild boar appetizer if that sounds good to you.  Either way, get 1-2 appetizers. Also, save room for dessert.  If you like sweet, get the limoncello cake.  However, everyone loves all the desserts.  They also make their own, aged limoncello if you like that.  I would suggest going light on entree and getting appetizers and desserts.  We always do that and get the tortelloni for our entrees.  I've taken a lot of people there, and everyone likes it a lot and it's good for a date.  It's the old guy from Italy running the front and his wife running the kitchen type place.

If you want Pizza one night, go to Andoline's on 15th street.  I don't normally drink beer, but I think they have a decent beer/drink selection.  It's more of a resaurant that a pizza place.  That stretch of road is also called Cherry street.  The bar I usually went down there closed, but I think there's still 1-2 left right there.  One is a Irish restaurant called Kilkennys.  I'm not a big fan of their food, but a lot of people love it.

Cains/Hunt Club/Laffa/Cissiros is just north of downtown.  Also right there is a bar called Valkarie and speakeasy called the lounge (just a door, no sign, must make reservation).  East downtown are a few other places.  There's an Irish pub on 1st called McNellis, a 3 story Mexican food/bar/margarita place called El Guapo, and a German bar called Fassler Hall.  It's all easily walkable.

There's another area called Brookeside.  We go there for brunch a lot, but I don't really know how it is at night.  There's s bar called R-Bar and a couple others my buddy says are good.

Sorry for the rambling.  The Renaissance is in Broken Arrow, which is just a cookie cutter suburb, don't stick around there.  I'll think a little more on this too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:33:43 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: January 15, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »
man, the cool kids at gE deliver again!

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: January 15, 2016, 12:35:06 PM »

Sweet! We are staying in Scottsdale, in-laws have a house there

We have in-laws there too!   :surprised:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: January 15, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »
Thanks Hamburglar!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: January 15, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »
the whataburger close to downtown has a very slow drive thru. pro tip!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: January 15, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
Here are a couple of things that I thought were awesome in Tulsa when I was a kid: Casa Bonita and Laser Quest. Not sure if either of them still exist.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: January 15, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »
They have a casa bonita?!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: January 15, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »
Good tip on the whataburger tho, don't forget to stop at one (or 5 lol)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: January 15, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »
this week i ate at the whataburger in San Angelo, TX for dinner and then again for breakfast the next morning