Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1353189 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #7150 on: December 26, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »
Why leave SD? 

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: December 31, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »
mrstdaver and I need a vacation sans kids for our sanity.  Probably this spring, 5-6 days.  Considering anywhere on west coast and Hawaii.  Taking recommendations.

Things we want = hiking and outdoor activities, good food, general sightseeing, some downtime
Things we don't = in city entire time, sitting on beach or elsewhere all day every day

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: December 31, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
mrstdaver and I need a vacation sans kids for our sanity.  Probably this spring, 5-6 days.  Considering anywhere on west coast and Hawaii.  Taking recommendations.

Things we want = hiking and outdoor activities, good food, general sightseeing, some downtime
Things we don't = in city entire time, sitting on beach or elsewhere all day every day

Wichita! It is the Cancun of the Midwest.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: December 31, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »

kauai

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: January 01, 2016, 12:22:39 PM »
Wife this morning: Let's go to the Rose Parade next year.
Me: Uh, okay. Sure.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7155 on: January 01, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »

Pasadena is quite lovely

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: January 05, 2016, 09:32:49 PM »
When traveling with children older than 2, what form of ID do you need for them? Just a birth certificate? or do I need an actual photo ID?
I'm purple down

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: January 05, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »
Birth certificate is fine and probably won't need it

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: January 05, 2016, 11:08:49 PM »
Alaska.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: January 05, 2016, 11:26:15 PM »
When traveling with children older than 2, what form of ID do you need for them? Just a birth certificate? or do I need an actual photo ID?
signing them up for rapid rewards helps on sw, not sure on other metal

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: January 06, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »

Hiking/outdoor is kinda mutually exclusive with good food, 'cept for maybe some Rocky Mountain towns, but you won't want to be there in the spring time.  Go to Hawaii like sd said.  I've always wanted to see the Parker Ranch on the big island.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: January 06, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »

Hiking/outdoor is kinda mutually exclusive with good food, 'cept for maybe some Rocky Mountain towns, but you won't want to be there in the spring time.  Go to Hawaii like sd said.  I've always wanted to see the Parker Ranch on the big island.

Hawaii or Seattle

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: January 06, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »
San Francisco is pretty good for food and hiking, too. Or Hawaii.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: January 06, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
Bend, OR / Sunriver, OR

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: January 06, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »
Anyone scuba dive?  If so, can anyone disclose any good dive spots reasonably accessible in the Gulf of Mexico, or good, clear lakes suitable for diving?  I've been to Beaver Lake (resisted the urge to buy the "I Dive Beaver" t-shirts at the dive shop there), and it's not all that great.  Have done dives around Pensacola--only problem is everyone is a southerner, and each person on the boats I was on took spear guns with them--think Ozarks-type people with underwater firearms--scared the hell out of me ("could you please not point that spear at my head while you're around me on the boat or underwater?").  Suggestions?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: January 06, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »

For what?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: January 06, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »

For what?
Just a domestic flight mci to atl
I'm purple down

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: January 06, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »

For what?

They don't need ID. Neither do you technically.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: January 07, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »

For what?

They don't need ID. Neither do you technically.

You do need ID if over 18, just not necessarily a state issued ID.  If you forgot your ID however, you may be screened and allowed to fly, though not guaranteed.   And I suspect if you make a habit of it, they will just deny boarding.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: January 07, 2016, 05:42:27 PM »
Mrs kcfd and I are considering doing a sailing cruise this fall. Anyone ever done one? 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7170 on: January 07, 2016, 08:58:20 PM »
Anyone scuba dive?  If so, can anyone disclose any good dive spots reasonably accessible in the Gulf of Mexico, or good, clear lakes suitable for diving?  I've been to Beaver Lake (resisted the urge to buy the "I Dive Beaver" t-shirts at the dive shop there), and it's not all that great.  Have done dives around Pensacola--only problem is everyone is a southerner, and each person on the boats I was on took spear guns with them--think Ozarks-type people with underwater firearms--scared the hell out of me ("could you please not point that spear at my head while you're around me on the boat or underwater?").  Suggestions?
unless you want a long boat ride there really is not much for clear water in the Gulf unless we are counting the Keys.  I have heard the visibility in  the  Panama city area can be good and there are some very clear rivers and lakes in central FL too.

Imo you can't beat Cozumel as a dive destination - deep water right of the beach, generally calm water and guaranteed gray visibility and water temperatures

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:53 PM »
unless you want a long boat ride there really is not much for clear water in the Gulf unless we are counting the Keys.  I have heard the visibility in  the  Panama city area can be good and there are some very clear rivers and lakes in central FL too.

Imo you can't beat Cozumel as a dive destination - deep water right of the beach, generally calm water and guaranteed gray visibility and water temperatures
I didn't dive in Cozumel, but several of my friends did.  They said it was really good.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: January 09, 2016, 09:55:34 PM »
Just got back from Breckenridge. First ski (snowboard) trip ever. Definitely want to shred some more. What are some other good places to go?
@Trogdor_gE

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: January 10, 2016, 12:21:12 AM »

Very close to the top of my bucket list. I've heard the grandstand tickets are shockingly expensive and difficult to acquire.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: January 10, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »

Very close to the top of my bucket list. I've heard the grandstand tickets are shockingly expensive and difficult to acquire.

Based on what I've seen, it's totally doable. Almost the entire route is grandstand, tickets range from $50-$100 (parking included!), and it won't necessarily sell out. There's plenty of info online.